Tajon Buchanan

nolando

4 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Crazy to think there is a 24yr old Canadian at Inter Milan, and he isn't even the best player Canada has!

If you've been following the CMNT for more than 5 years you'll know how insane this is! :D

Good luck Tajon 👍

To me he's always been #3. 
I think based on his trajectory and consistent improvement he could easily be the best within in the next year or two. 

Reality is, Davies is so elite that he really hasn't improved much YoY. David has been consistently up and down but still a high class player. These guys can both get significant moves (like Madrid or Newcastle per se) and it could completely change the narrative....but today, I think Tajon can be the best.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I think based on his trajectory and consistent improvement he could easily be the best within in the next year or two. 

Reality is, Davies is so elite that he really hasn't improved much YoY. David has been consistently up and down but still a high class player. These guys can both get significant moves (like Madrid or Newcastle per se) and it could completely change the narrative....but today, I think Tajon can be the best.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. With Tajon moving to Inter, does that take some of the pressure off of Davies to be "the" guy for us. It's pretty evident he tries to do too much for the national team. If, and this is a big of, Tajon becomes a regular contributor for Inter. We could potentially have the most dynamic set of wingbacks in not just CONCACAF, but the world.

13 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I was actually thinking about this the other day. With Tajon moving to Inter, does that take some of the pressure off of Davies to be "the" guy for us. It's pretty evident he tries to do too much for the national team. If, and this is a big of, Tajon becomes a regular contributor for Inter. We could potentially have the most dynamic set of wingbacks in not just CONCACAF, but the world.

I like to compare with the Morocco team we faced, where their very best players simply stayed in their natural positions and played the roles called for. Then the rest did the best they could, and the results were a deep World Cup run.

I can't even remember who scored their goals.

Mind you, Haaland and Odegaard play their natural positions for Norway and it doesn't do much for that national team.

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I like to compare with the Morocco team we faced, where their very best players simply stayed in their natural positions and played the roles called for. Then the rest did the best they could, and the results were a deep World Cup run.

I can't even remember who scored their goals.

Mind you, Haaland and Odegaard play their natural positions for Norway and it doesn't do much for that national team.

En-Nesyri, the Sevilla striker, had two, one against us and one against Portugal. Not sure if anyone scored more than that. 

On 1/8/2024 at 7:04 PM, Shway said:

I think theres two debates. Whos the best players and whos the most valuable player. 

I think buchanan could surpass david but not davies for best player. I just dont see him ever being in the conversation for the #1 RWB in the world like davies is at LWB. 

As for most valuable to CMNT, its hard to see him higher than 4th. 
Staq runs the team
davies creates so much space for other players
david is our goal scorer
Buchanan basically can mirror davies but to a lesser extent. We also have laryea as rwb who can offer similar things to buchanan if buchanans not at his best. If buchanan can take his attacking play to the next level, he could move past david imo. 

On 1/8/2024 at 9:04 PM, Shway said:

No chance he’s ahead of David, Davies or Eustaquio. Arguably he’s behind Larin too based on the last 3 years. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Technically this tweet is incorrect.

No team ever lists starters and subs the day before a match. They name a call-up, then the day of the game they confirm starters, when it is delivered to the refs; and could confirm discards if they are required to do so, if there are more called up than can be on the bench.

Why am I being so picky? Because if he's in the squad, there is no saying he could not start, it is not so likely but at least wait until we get the starters list on gameday.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Technically this tweet is incorrect.

No team ever lists starters and subs the day before a match. They name a call-up, then the day of the game they confirm starters, when it is delivered to the refs; and could confirm discards if they are required to do so, if there are more called up than can be on the bench.

Why am I being so picky? Because if he's in the squad, there is no saying he could not start, it is not so likely but at least wait until we get the starters list on gameday.

Italian media does love to speculate on probable starting line ups though.

Fantasy soccer is big in Italy

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Italian media does love to speculate on probable starting line ups though.

Fantasy soccer is big in Italy

Sure, like in most countries, the press advances probable 11s. 

It was a Canadian tweet though, they just ruled him out from playing, which is what irked me. Didn't think it was unreasonable, but give the guy a chance at least.

10 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

just saw that sportings coach said they tried for a long time to get buchanan but couldnt convince him to sign 

That could've been very interesting too.  So it was specifically Tajon that turned them down and not the club?

4 minutes ago, costarg said:

That could've been very interesting too.  So it was specifically Tajon that turned them down and not the club?

https://sempreinter.com/2024/01/10/sporting-coach-amorim-rues-missing-out-new-inter-signing-tajon-buchanan/

Its a lot of speculation so I'm not confident with saying an answer on that. Heres the article though. 

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He really wasn't at Club Bruges and it isn't why Inter signed him.

Italy requires a lot of tactical rigour at the back, it's not plain "defending", it's more about positional play in a defensive system.

very true and I think very expected for TB to take time to learn how to play in inters set up. Look at Pep. He signs the worlds best young CB and hes gonna take a year to adapt and is learning how to play a pep system as a LB. In a year or 2 I expect him to move to CB and flourish. 

29 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He really wasn't at Club Bruges and it isn't why Inter signed him.

Italy requires a lot of tactical rigour at the back, it's not plain "defending", it's more about positional play in a defensive system.

Haven’t they been pretty clear they signed him based on his World Cup appearance, where he was an attacker? They obviously want him as a defender for sure, but I really doubt they took a look at him in practice and were utterly shocked that he’s not the best defender out there. On the other hand, if Inter can teach him solid defence, mix in the skill and speed he does have, and he could very easily become a world class player. 

46 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Haven’t they been pretty clear they signed him based on his World Cup appearance, where he was an attacker? They obviously want him as a defender for sure, but I really doubt they took a look at him in practice and were utterly shocked that he’s not the best defender out there. On the other hand, if Inter can teach him solid defence, mix in the skill and speed he does have, and he could very easily become a world class player. 

I think it is clear that if Cuadrado had not had tendon problems leading into December, then Achilles tendon surgery just before Christmas, they would never have signed Tajon. When the surgery happened, they said Cuadrado would be out until early April, more or less. The days after the Cuadrado surgery, Beppe Marotta, the Inter director, announced they would sign someone in January when the window opened.

Reports by then were already mentioning Tajon. 

Cuadrado is a right back, or a right mid, or a wing pushed forward at times. Obviously Cuadrado is a premium player, but the profile is right.

The point is, they wanted someone at a reasonable cost, not spending a massive amount as they felt Cuadrado could still come back and be their starter. Then they were also concerned that Lautaro was injured and they could be forced to sign a striker replacement, so they couldn't spend too much on the Cuadrado cover (looks like Lautaro is fine).

So it all fits: they have signed Tajon to cover for Cuadrado. Big boots to fill. A player who can go both ways on the right side. But Cuadrado is more a defender going forward with certain tenacity, than a winger coming back to defend.

If Tajon plays it right, it could work out well, since Cuadrado turns 36 in May, was  a franchise player at Juve, first on loan from Chelsea, then on contract, but is nearing the end of his career. Inter signing him this year was an odd decision, but it was a bit of a stopgap to not solving their RB position last summer.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think it is clear that if Cuadrado had not had tendon problems leading into December, then Achilles tendon surgery just before Christmas, they would never have signed Tajon. When the surgery happened, they said Cuadrado would be out until early April, more or less. The days after the Cuadrado surgery, Beppe Marotta, the Inter director, announced they would sign someone in January when the window opened.

Reports by then were already mentioning Tajon. 

Cuadrado is a right back, or a right mid, or a wing pushed forward at times. Obviously Cuadrado is a premium player, but the profile is right.

The point is, they wanted someone at a reasonable cost, not spending a massive amount as they felt Cuadrado could still come back and be their starter. Then they were also concerned that Lautaro was injured and they could be forced to sign a striker replacement, so they couldn't spend too much on the Cuadrado cover (looks like Lautaro is fine).

So it all fits: they have signed Tajon to cover for Cuadrado. Big boots to fill. A player who can go both ways on the right side. But Cuadrado is more a defender going forward with certain tenacity, than a winger coming back to defend.

If Tajon plays it right, it could work out well, since Cuadrado turns 36 in May, was  a franchise player at Juve, first on loan from Chelsea, then on contract, but is nearing the end of his career. Inter signing him this year was an odd decision, but it was a bit of a stopgap to not solving their RB position last summer.

I think it was also reported (The Athletic?) that Inter would’ve signed Tajon before this year if he hadn’t gotten injured, so I think Cuadrado was the replacement plan for TB, who is in turn now his replacement. As for the rest- agreed. I think the ball is in Tajon’s court in terms of becoming Inter’s long term solution at RB. Cuadrado is 36, Darmian is 34, they aren’t in a position to splurge on a wunderkind to take up his spot, so if he plays well, develops the defensive part of his game, he can have a long career with Inter or use it as a springboard for his next move.

As for defensive abilities, it’s not too uncommon for a player to develop that aspect of his game at the right club (“learn to play the game the right way”). At Revs, he was figuring out how to stick out in a professional environment. At Brugge, he was figuring out how to stick out for bigger clubs and improve his situation. At Inter, it’s sink or swim- all big clubs know what he is capable of doing, but now it’s about proving he can contribute to a club with title and European aspirations. Luckily he has excellent work ethic- not to mention, he’s getting to the age when players develop the cerebral aspect of the game- how do you contribute to winning vs your fotmob score. I think he’ll have tough moments this season, but by next season’s end, I think he’s going to develop into an excellent well rounded fullback. Excited to see how that translates to his play with Canada.