Tajon Buchanan

nolando

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1738602103545680300?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

According to inter « we like him because he’s cheap » 

I think it is more like when you have a key player out, are in the mix for trophies, you have to look for some kind of solution. Without breaking the bank. Barça is looking for a mid to replace Gavi, who has an ACL, but it is the same story: who can we pick up cheap as a stop-gap, who we feel can walk in and not need adaptation, who might also revitalize the team.

So I watched the second half of Inter-Lecce today because it was on, I worked out while watching. Inter are a quite quick moving team, very fit and lithe, energetic, they have lots of scoring and attacking combinations. They play fairly direct, have mids like Barella and that Turk, then Mkhitaryan (had to look that spelling up) who will run with the ball.  They are not a very static team, they are entertaining, sprite. The mids also go look for it, from the defenders and wingbacks, so that would be positive for Tajon.

Lecce was taking to them for a while when down 1-0 and the commentator said rarely all year had they been on their back foot. They lined up 3-5-2 at home and that is attacking and even defending, which I found odd. They use their wings, which is also good for Tajon. I think they have a deep bench already despite a few injuries, besides Cuadrado (who was operated on already I heard). 

Inter is on track for a 100 point season at this pace, or close to it. Only la Juve has stayed close.

I don't think there are any more than 6-8 stadiums in Europe with the scale, prestige and reputation of San Siro, it's bigger than anything in England except Wembley, in Germany only the Dortmund stadium is bigger, in Spain only Camp Nou and the Bernabeu, will be a great honour to play there for Tajon.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think it is more like when you have a key player out, are in the mix for trophies, you have to look for some kind of solution. Without breaking the bank. Barça is looking for a mid to replace Gavi, who has an ACL, but it is the same story: who can we pick up cheap as a stop-gap, who we feel can walk in and not need adaptation, who might also revitalize the team.

Yeah, I was mostly being tongue in cheek, but at the price they’re talking about for Tajon, €7-8M, that’s a reasonable addition when your main guy is out for half a season and you just need a 1:1 replacement. If he doesn’t fit, then no huge loss, and if he does, I believe Cuadrado is like 35, so they get his replacement who is a decade younger. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You should introduce them to Eustaquio.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

You should introduce them to Eustaquio.

You know, you'd think so, but Stephan did not really stand out against Barça in the two matches we played in Champions. Maybe if his goal had counted at Dragaos it'd be different, but I don't think so. In fact, Eustaquio has not been in any transfer rumours anywhere, despite being in his second Champions League campaign. He's not doing that well making a case for himself (and also because out of Portugal transfers are more expensive than lesser leagues).

Barça says we either sign cheap, someone older and experienced, or look for a loan for a guy not getting minutes. Or just rely on the Masia, since Gavi is a 19 year old from La Masia, but the talent supply is not endless.

Seems Lo Celso at Spurs could be one. Dani Parejo at Villareal, older experienced guys who can handle the competitive level. And might be leaders in the locker room. And not spend more than 14 million. 

Inter is looking at getting Tajon in a different way, as of course there is no guarantee with Cuadrado at his age and being an Achilles problem. The price is low for their budget, his salary aspirations must be on the lower end of their roster, and it's an investment regardless. Then you are not looking for Tajon to be a leader, he gets time to adapt, he's not a make or break piece. But if all goes well he wins a scudetto and he's playing Champions League regardless.

Apparently it’s close. Fee under €10M: I think the Revs have a sell on fee, so I don’t think Bruges actually made a profit off him? Fitting end to the CANMNT’s time at one of the hardest clubs to watch I can think of. 
https://x.com/inter_xtra/status/1739666807475110016?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

40 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Seems odd to sell him and make no profit.

Think something came out a few days ago about how Tajon refused to renew his contract, so I guess it was either this or lose him on a free (next summer?). 

25 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just unfollowed Brugge on FotMob and started following Inter.  It felt good. 

I don’t wanna jinx it by following Inter yet, but I’ve unfollowed Brugge, for the second and hopefully last time earlier today and it felt awesome.

6 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Apparently it’s close. Fee under €10M: I think the Revs have a sell on fee, so I don’t think Bruges actually made a profit off him? Fitting end to the CANMNT’s time at one of the hardest clubs to watch I can think of. 
https://x.com/inter_xtra/status/1739666807475110016?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

I agree it is odd not to ask for more, even a few million. There may be an additional clause where they pay more if he plays a certain amount or reaches goals for Inter, which can be common. But still, it is odd. 

What Bruges is doing is get him off their salary load for the winter window, in case they want to sign someone or offer a better contract to a younger player coming through.

Main point though: incredibly proud of this transfer, for me the second greatest in Canadian soccer history after Davies. It is unreal.

I've not been on the forum for a week or so, and last night had a dream in which Tajon scored with a stunning bicycle kick, then followed up with a tidy strike to the left corner for his second, both for what appeared to be a club side of indeterminate stripe.  Then I hopped on the forum just now and I see he might be off to Inter. Crazy. If he scores on a bicycle kick, then I'm picking lottery numbers for Friday.