Tajon Buchanan

nolando

9 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Didn't this move already happen this past January after his World Cup performance?

and again in summer.  Groundhog day.  When I try and impress my European soccer friends who don't follow team Canada I lead with we have Tajon Buchanan who plays for Inter, well technically not yet, but it's a foregone conclusion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Club's position in term of Conference League knock-out qualification ahead of today's game. 

They lead their group with 10 points and have qualified barring 2 losses and massive goal difference swing.  A win today would not mathmatically give them first place, if second place Bodø/Glimt, who have 7 points, do the same.   Those two play the final matchday and in theory a big Norwegian win could overturn any goal difference which currently sits at +3 in Club's favour.  Again first place is helpful in that you avoid playing the first knockout out round against a Europa League drop down.

Playing our old friends Besiktas, who sit bottom with 1 point, incidentally.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

https://www.football365.com/news/transfer-gossip-juventus-man-utd-sancho-van-de-beek-man-city-thuram-newcastle-soule

MAN CITY TO MOVE FOR £50M DUO
Juventus would like to sign Khephren Thuram and Tajon Buchanan. Inter are also interested in the pair – but both Italian clubs know Manchester City are ready to blow them out of the water.

Thuram has been linked with Liverpool but he remains at Nice at least until in January. And if City swoop, the midfielder will remain in France until next summer.

TV Play in Italy says City are prepared to pay combined fees of £51million for Thuram and Club Brugge winger Buchanan, a 24-year-old Canada international.

TOON, PALACE IN TALKS OVER ON-LOAN WINGER
Juve could be looking at Buchanan as a possible replacement for Matias Soule, who is attracting interest from Premier League clubs.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know lots of people don’t like ManCity, and the odds of it actually happening are probably extremely slim, but god damn that would be something.  

Completely agree. I'd love to see Tajon in the Prem, period.

Edited by Mayz

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I cannot see Tajon at any of the big 6 Prem clubs but I love that those links are out there. Part of me feels the Juve, Inter, Atletico links are not very concrete either. That said, I feel like he is going to take a nice step up after Brugge, whether it is the Serie A, the Prem, or elsewhere. 

Agreed. Like David, Buchanan seems to be stuck on an early career mini-plateau (for club and country). While I'm confident both will shake it off and continue to rise, we should be realistic (and sensible) about where some of these guys might land next. I would prioritize maximum minutes, playing in their best position, and a reasonable amount of both personal and team success over the bragging rights and glitter of a world-class club, however tempting that type of offer might be.

I'm fine with most of our top guys being stars at comparable clubs to Celtic and Porto, as long as it meets the criteria above.

Pep doesn't use his bench, making very few subs in games.  Btw in his last game vs Liege, Tajon was solid on both sides of the ball playing in his usual RB spot for Brugge. He had his marker in his pocket and has really developed defensively. Picks his spots when to attack. He had a hockey assist on the 1st goal and his long throw in from the sidelines into the box was controlled by Brugge resulting  in the 2nd goal.  Was subbed at 83' after he took a yellow card earlier. 

Full on laughed at that City rumour for how insane and far out it is- surprised it hasn’t made the rounds on CANMNT twitter yet. City has multiple players playing for top national teams that can’t even see the pitch, where exactly is City, who don’t even use fullbacks, supposed to find minutes for Tajon?

Also strange that they’re somehow going after the two exact same players who play for different clubs and aren’t exactly World super stars as Inter is?

TB is looking awesome this year though. I’ve had my doubts over how he might fare in tougher league, but I think he’s ready for that jump now. City would be cool if not because we’d have another champions league contender in our squad, but he’d be at best their third string RW, if that, so he’d probably only play cup games, but the first time we see Tajon fling it into the box for a beautiful Haaland header… man

11 hours ago, Shway said:

As much as I would like to see him in the prem league, this sounds like nonsense.

Unless Pep sees him as a RW, then that is the only possible reason. Because he doesn't fit their profile of an inverted RB. 

I agree its nonsense. But from a dreaming perspective, buchanan is arguably a good backup for walker. Pace to burn to stop counter attacks. TB is fairly sound at 1v1 defending. 

9 out of 10 games, city dont use fullbacks but they have played "b-ish" teams with a traditional back 4 - perfect for buchanan. 

He's also fairly comfortable on the ball in a similar vein to walker. Walker doesnt fit the profile of a city FB and hes wearing the armband on occasion.....

The downside is that buchanan turns into a rb and we still dont have world class wingers. We will play with 4 fullbacks every game. 

41 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I agree its nonsense. But from a dreaming perspective, buchanan is arguably a good backup for walker. Pace to burn to stop counter attacks. TB is fairly sound at 1v1 defending. 

9 out of 10 games, city dont use fullbacks but they have played "b-ish" teams with a traditional back 4 - perfect for buchanan. 

He's also fairly comfortable on the ball in a similar vein to walker. Walker doesnt fit the profile of a city FB and hes wearing the armband on occasion.....

The downside is that buchanan turns into a rb and we still dont have world class wingers. We will play with 4 fullbacks every game. 

Agreed.

I don't think it's going to happen obviously, but this is not like Richie Laryea being linked to Manchester City. It's within the realm of possibility that Man City could have some fleeting interest in a player like Buchanan, since he is young and cheap (by their standards) and playing for a feeder club (Brugge) and is being linked to other big clubs (Juve). Again, I don't think there is anything to it, but it's not as if it couldn't make sense for Manchester City to grab a depth option. Let's remember that Manchester City had Zach Steffan on their books at one point.

And if you want an outfield player for comparison, think of Nathan Ake. He couldn't crack Chelsea and was loaned out multiple times, then he settled at Bournemouth where he became a key player for them for multiple seasons before Man City swooped in and picked him up as a rotational player, or depth player, or swiss army knife, however you want to put it I don't think Ake was brought in to a locked in starter, even though City spent 41 Million pounds on him. He has grown in importance at City though, it seems. 

And that's not me saying City will buy Buchanan. It's just to say that it's not completely far-fetched. If the Ake comparison is a step to far, how about Kalvin Phillips?

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agreed.

I don't think it's going to happen obviously, but this is not like Richie Laryea being linked to Manchester City. It's within the realm of possibility that Man City could have some fleeting interest in a player like Buchanan, since he is young and cheap (by their standards) and playing for a feeder club (Brugge) and is being linked to other big clubs (Juve). Again, I don't think there is anything to it, but it's not as if it couldn't make sense for Manchester City to grab a depth option. Let's remember that Manchester City had Zach Steffan on their books at one point.

And if you want an outfield player for comparison, think of Nathan Ake. He couldn't crack Chelsea and was loaned out multiple times, then he settled at Bournemouth where he became a key player for them for multiple seasons before Man City swooped in and picked him up as a rotational player, or depth player, or swiss army knife, however you want to put it I don't think Ake was brought in to a locked in starter, even though City spent 41 Million pounds on him. He has grown in importance at City though, it seems. 

And that's not me saying City will buy Buchanan. It's just to say that it's not completely far-fetched. If the Ake comparison is a step to far, how about Kalvin Phillips?

I mean, hell, it took Julian Alvarez winning a World Cup to become an every day starter, and he’s not even playing in his natural position as a striker (for obvious reasons). Even if Tajon did somehow crack the lineup, he’s one 16 year old Brazilian worth €65M euros away from being loaned out to Leeds United. 

The other teams he’s linked to- Inter, Atletico, those are good spots for him. I don’t think it’s outside of the realm of possibilities for him to seize the opportunity, take a leap, and move to a top top club at 27, but any club bigger than the aforementioned ones wouldn’t have any minutes for TB. I doubt he’d even sign with them unless he just wants a massive raise, but he could simply call it a day and go to KSA if that’s what he wanted. 

When I have seen him with Brugge this season, Tajon  appears very motivated and committed defensively. Looks like he takes pride in shutting down forwards which is always the hallmark of a good defender. When you  combine that with his speed, 1v1 skills and  ability on crosses/passes into the box, he becomes an attractive pkg. I'm really not surprised with the attention he's getting.

45 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I mean, hell, it took Julian Alvarez winning a World Cup to become an every day starter, and he’s not even playing in his natural position as a striker (for obvious reasons). Even if Tajon did somehow crack the lineup, he’s one 16 year old Brazilian worth €65M euros away from being loaned out to Leeds United. 

The other teams he’s linked to- Inter, Atletico, those are good spots for him. I don’t think it’s outside of the realm of possibilities for him to seize the opportunity, take a leap, and move to a top top club at 27, but any club bigger than the aforementioned ones wouldn’t have any minutes for TB. I doubt he’d even sign with them unless he just wants a massive raise, but he could simply call it a day and go to KSA if that’s what he wanted. 

winning a world cup AND a devastating injury to KDB.

However, I disagree about the 16 year old brazilian. The youngsters on the squad are from the academy. Yan couto is the best example of what youre talking about and hes 21 and on loan. Theres no other example of pep signing a young defender. I dont think theres a single example of pep signing a youngster and then loaning out a player. He tends to sell a player and then replace them. Mahrez goes, doku comes in. Jesus goes, and alvarez comes in. torres goes and grealish comes in.  

Joao cancelo is the only senior player out on loan and thats because city couldnt sell him and pep refused to have him near the squad. 

Ake is another great example. They bring in akanji and gvardiol. Logically ake is on his way out when you sign the world best young lcb. But pep rotates enough and trusts his players that he doesnt need to loan out ake. 

IF, buchanan went to city, he would be a backup and need time to acclimatize. If he acclimitizes (which is a massive IF - see sergio gomez), he wouldnt be dismissed that quickly IMO.