Nike?

Admin

I think this is a really exciting development. While I don't love their kits, I definitely love their support. Undoubtedly this is a bid not to sponsor Canada, but to sponsor one of the 2026 World Cup hosts. They know the eyes that will be on us then. Still... I'll take it.

I just hope the CSA had some good negotiators at the table and got some real value out of this relationship.  Better access to slick jerseys in one thing, but lets face it - our national Association needs revenue, and that isn't going to happen by hoping to sell shirts for a team no one sees.  If we aren't having friendlies in large part because we can't afford it, and we all recognize that more friendlies are required in the build up to 2022 qualifying (and obviously in advance of 2026), hopefully this will help the CSA's financial wherewithal to make that happen.

Be very wary of getting in bed with this brand. They have a storied history of exploiting athletes. I can already see they're playing heavily on the refugee background of Alphonso. Would they keep hammering this point if he were from the former Yugoslavia instead of Sub-Saharan Africa? Is this what they're going to keep calling our Canadian player going forward? He's a record MLS transfer, a Canadian kid in a developing soccer market, and a very talented player - that's all the marketing angle they need, anything else is suspect.

1 hour ago, Soju said:

Be very wary of getting in bed with this brand. They have a storied history of exploiting athletes. I can already see they're playing heavily on the refugee background of Alphonso. Would they keep hammering this point if he were from the former Yugoslavia instead of Sub-Saharan Africa? Is this what they're going to keep calling our Canadian player going forward? He's a record MLS transfer, a Canadian kid in a developing soccer market, and a very talented player - that's all the marketing angle they need, anything else is suspect.

I trust Alphonso and his family and agents to make the best decisions about his future and the way he is promoted.   I find this a bit like the Herdman situation - we are finally getting some attention and suddenly we are uber cautious about how that takes place.  For me it is pretty straightforward - the story they are telling about Alphonso IS his story.  He is a refugee who overcame immense odds to have success.  That is a huge commentary on him, his family, and to some extent (and here is my nationalism shining through) Canada.  It is a great story and he is obviously okay with them telling it.  And if he is good with it, I am too. 

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I trust Alphonso and his family and agents to make the best decisions about his future and the way he is promoted.   I find this a bit like the Herdman situation - we are finally getting some attention and suddenly we are uber cautious about how that takes place.  For me it is pretty straightforward - the story they are telling about Alphonso IS his story.  He is a refugee who overcame immense odds to have success.  That is a huge commentary on him, his family, and to some extent (and here is my nationalism shining through) Canada.  It is a great story and he is obviously okay with them telling it.  And if he is good with it, I am too. 

I see you, but I also see nothing wrong with being cautious about the people and matters we care about.

I realize this is a stupid question and exposes my total frustration and lack of patience with 'modern' websites.... but where the &*)(*&ing crap are blank nike jerseys?

All I can see are club branded stuff..... 

Their site also has an exit pop up.   God I hate the Internet now. 

5 hours ago, Soju said:

I know it's not the same company, but probably the most famous of ad where we talk about a Canadian soccer player mentions just that. (I know about always, but I don't tthink it mentioned Steph aside from her face and her name)

1 hour ago, admin said:

I realize this is a stupid question and exposes my total frustration and lack of patience with 'modern' websites.... but where the &*)(*&ing crap are blank nike jerseys?

All I can see are club branded stuff..... 

Their site also has an exit pop up.   God I hate the Internet now. 

https://niketeam.nike.com///niketeamsports/content/pdf/catalog_thumbs/NTS_M_Soccer.pdf (there's a separate women's catalogue but the jerseys tend to be the same) 

4 minutes ago, carolynduthie said:

https://niketeam.nike.com///niketeamsports/content/pdf/catalog_thumbs/NTS_M_Soccer.pdf (there's a separate women's catalogue but the jerseys tend to be the same) 

Ah thanks!

The prices do not seem insane, though those are U$.

I am not sure what I think of making a V's Nike jersey,  but unlike our previous suppliers I feel this is likely now a possibility. Before it wasn't.

What do people think of making one?  Jersey and trainer jacket.

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

I know it's not the same company, but probably the most famous of ad where we talk about a Canadian soccer player mentions just that. (I know about always, but I don't tthink it mentioned Steph aside from her face and her name)

Yes this was the advert I was referencing actually.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Ah thanks!

The prices do not seem insane, though those are U$.

I am not sure what I think of making a V's Nike jersey,  but unlike our previous suppliers I feel this is likely now a possibility. Before it wasn't.

What do people think of making one?  Jersey and trainer jacket.

I'm all for V's merch, but is there a demand/need for a jersey? I think we'd all be wearing Canada kits in the stadium for example. Jacket, scarf, other supplementary gear would be cool.

9 minutes ago, Soju said:

I'm all for V's merch, but is there a demand/need for a jersey? I think we'd all be wearing Canada kits in the stadium for example. Jacket, scarf, other supplementary gear would be cool.

I agree. I think the jersey should be the Canada jersey to support the players and the national team sponsor. 

However, it's something people have asked for repeatedly. It hasn't gone  unoticed. I have recieved samples from several cut & sew sublimation jersey companies.  None of them feel right.  The cut, the quality, the fabric just never matches the feel of the proper jerseys made by the big names, and that is exactly what people will compare it to.  It is what people think of when they think of a jersey.    

The only one I would have done without hesitation is the Umbro Johnny Collar as it came as close as possible to the famed 1912 jersey.   It was simply not financially viable at the time and still isn't.

The same can be said for trainer/track type jackets.  The generic/unbranded ones are just odd somehow and never quite right, but people will make the comparison back on the big brands.  

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, ESG Shawn said:

First look at some training gear.

IMG_20190109_121411.jpg

Is it just me or are we coming off as huge losers?  We come off like we’re all about promoting Nike when it should really be the other way around.  Can’t say I’ve ever seen a sports team get as giddy about a uniform sponsor (or even giddy at all) - it’s odd.  

“Look guys! We have check marks on our jerseys! Who needs matches?!” 

47 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Is it just me or are we coming off as huge losers?  We come off like we’re all about promoting Nike when it should really be the other way around.  Can’t say I’ve ever seen a sports team get as giddy about a uniform sponsor (or even giddy at all) - it’s odd.  

“Look guys! We have check marks on our jerseys! Who needs matches?!” 

Um, what? I think you've got that backwards. Audi gives MLS money so that MLS writers/broadcasters say "Audi MLS playoffs". Athletes appear in commercials to help advertise their sponsors. Hey Roberto Alomar, say you like McCain fruit punch and we'll give you money. This is the whole point of sponsorship.

Sometimes the advertising can be mutually beneficial, especially in this kind of a case where the sponsor is the bigger deal than the thing it is sponsoring. But the idea is still that the sponsor (Nike) is getting advertising from the entity they are sponsoring (Canada Soccer).