Matis Romero

hamiltonfan

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Well we haven’t  qualified for youth World Cup  in a while, also the last U17 team couldn’t even make it out the group and lost against CUBA! So if NA based players are not getting it done, maybe it’s time to change it up. Also we are losing European based players to other nations. Players are saying haven’t been contacted by the CSA, Cristante brother ( if it was really him ) said if the CSA called Bryan sooner, we would have a better chance of getting him and other players. 

And we haven't qualified for a men's World Cup in even longer! Professionals haven't been getting the job done so maybe it's time they gave me, a lifelong amateur that is approaching 40 years of age, a chance with the national team!

I don't see how the CSA is supposed to know which players have talent if supposed soccer fans on this board are not even able to put 2 and 2 together. 

The kid was playing for Malaga youth, then Leganés youth, apparently on the Juvenil A team, at age 17. Since this means nothing to the majority here, no point even trying to draw lessons about the CSA being aware of him. The overall ignorance is overall and, I'd say, ignorant about things overall. 

In any case, as he is no longer at Leganés, as his own social media accounts say, better figure out where he is and why he left before insisting too much on him right yet.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't see how the CSA is supposed to know which players have talent if supposed soccer fans on this board are not even able to put 2 and 2 together. 

The kid was playing for Malaga youth, then Leganés youth, apparently on the Juvenil A team, at age 17. Since this means nothing to the majority here, no point even trying to draw lessons about the CSA being aware of him. The overall ignorance is overall and, I'd say, ignorant about things overall. 

For those like myself who are ignorant in this regard could you explain a little further what if anything this means for him as a prospect.

Also that last sentence is one I'm having a hard time getting my head around but that might just be my ignorance speaking ?

51 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

For those like myself who are ignorant in this regard could you explain a little further what if anything this means for him as a prospect.

Also that last sentence is one I'm having a hard time getting my head around but that might just be my ignorance speaking ?

I assumed that sentence was an homage to our favourite troll, whose name I’ve somehow forgotten.

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

He was playing for the u-19 of a La Liga team, in the top division of u-19 in Spain, for a team that happened to beat Barça a few weeks ago. So that is pretty fucking good and pretty well a higher level than every other u-19 we have in Canadian mix, barring our Juve keeper or Millar, to give a few examples.

So you cannot make assinine statements like "just because he's playing in Spain does not mean we have to call him up". Maybe the CSA can be bonehead about that, but this board should not be so frigging stupid. 

Then, if people would just read his twitter account, you'd see he says Ex-Leganés. That is bad, at his age, 17, first year of  a 3 year  eligibility in the mix of u-19, to not continue. And it is not a good sign to not have a team if he was left go, because he clearly has the level to stay on if he was legitimately there. 

Conclusion: if Peter had posted that exciting Tweet last season, then for sure, wake up call. And automatic CSA interest. And V-Board enthusiasm. But since he has done it now, when the kid is apparently without a club: late, misinformation, and more questions than answers. As I see it.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He was playing for the u-19 of a La Liga team, in the top division of u-19 in Spain, for a team that happened to beat Barça a few weeks ago. So that is pretty fucking good and pretty well a higher level than every other u-19 we have in Canadian mix, barring our Juve keeper or Millar, to give a few examples.

So you cannot make assinine statements like "just because he's playing in Spain does not mean we have to call him up". Maybe the CSA can be bonehead about that, but this board should not be so frigging stupid. 

Then, if people would just read his twitter account, you'd see he says Ex-Leganés. That is bad, at his age, 17, first year of  a 3 year  eligibility in the mix of u-19, to not continue. And it is not a good sign to not have a team if he was left go, because he clearly has the level to stay on if he was legitimately there. 

Conclusion: if Peter had posted that exciting Tweet last season, then for sure, wake up call. And automatic CSA interest. And V-Board enthusiasm. But since he has done it now, when the kid is apparently without a club: late, misinformation, and more questions than answers. As I see it.

Regarding the bolded part, are you saying that:

1. He should be called up because he must be good enough based on the level he plays at; or

2. He should be called up because the level he plays at is intriguing and therefore we should get a look at him early.

I think both are incorrect, but one is more incorrect. Of course, I may be misinterpreting what you are saying and if so please clarify. I was a little confused from your posts about whether or not we should be excited about this kid.

18 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

How haven't we learned yet? It doesn't mean anything. It can be interesting and exciting, sure, but can't use it to predict anything.

7 hours ago, El Diego said:

Regarding the bolded part, are you saying that:

1. He should be called up because he must be good enough based on the level he plays at; or

2. He should be called up because the level he plays at is intriguing and therefore we should get a look at him early.

I think both are incorrect, but one is more incorrect. Of course, I may be misinterpreting what you are saying and if so please clarify. I was a little confused from your posts about whether or not we should be excited about this kid.

How haven't we learned yet? It doesn't mean anything. It can be interesting and exciting, sure, but can't use it to predict anything.

Last season, excited. Though the information is wrong, he was not on the A team of the U-19 Leganés roster, he was on the C team. That means he was playing third tier u-19 in Spain, which is good enough, especially for the first year of eligibility. But a major step down from the top two tiers. I mean, my son started last season in the third tier of u-19 Spain (he dropped to study university), same level as this guy, and no one here, except for a few guys in Curva or Southside in Vancouver, has a clue who he is, why would they? It is not nearly high enough a level to get overly worked up about.

The only mitigating factor would be that Matis was on a team in La Liga, so that if he moved up, into the B or A team, presumibly this season, then we'd be talking, as it would mean playing at the highest u-19 club level you can find pretty well anywhere. 

But he is not. He is not on any roster from what I can see this year, he's fallen off the map. Maybe he has an injury and needs to heal, then great, he'll appear soon. Or maybe who knows. Maybe something fishy was going on, because why would you stop at this age if you had reached that level?

So what I said: if someone is a teen at Leganés, or Bournemouth, or Chievo, then pay attention, 100% for sure. He would be solid call-up material. But don't spin the info falsely, don't hype what can't be hyped, and don't spread misinformation about the guy. He is, as we stand, an unattached teen. So no go until further notice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

What happened to him? Please don't tell me the same old same old, trial didn't work out not signed, now unattached and looking for a club. Man I'm so tired of hearing the same thing of players struggles just because they're Canadian or since they're "international" they have to be that much better than the domestic product otherwise are released/moved on from. If he's a Spanish citizen, he should have stayed in Spain where's he's considered local

Hes 18 now, last I saw he was on trial with Portland Timbers in hopes of a loan to their affiliate team in USL

With his resume (Ex Malaga and CD Leganes Youth Academy player) he should been signed by a CPL club. Players always fall through the cracks, always. 😐 He must stay active when a chance arrives! He needs to take it 

7 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

What happened to him? Please don't tell me the same old same old, trial didn't work out not signed, now unattached and looking for a club. Man I'm so tired of hearing the same thing of players struggles just because they're Canadian or since they're "international" they have to be that much better than the domestic product otherwise are released/moved on from. If he's a Spanish citizen, he should have stayed in Spain where's he's considered local

Hes 18 now, last I saw he was on trial with Portland Timbers in hopes of a loan to their affiliate team in USL

With his resume (Ex Malaga and CD Leganes Youth Academy player) he should been signed by a CPL club. Players always fall through the cracks, always. 😐 He must stay active when a chance arrives! He needs to take it 

I get a vibe from this post that you haven't watched him play (talking about his resume rather than his play). To MM3/MM2/MM's point, and for your own health, it's probably advisable to save your outrage for players you have seen play and know they are good, instead of hypothetically good players.

“He had a two way offer from FCE Reserve. Matis made a last minute decision to stay in Quebec after all but signing the dotted line. he is training with a PLSQ club. Matis also had multi week trials with Portland and Vancouver youth clubs in late 2018.” Peter Raco, Matis’ (now former) representation 

Archived