Mohamed Omar

El Diego

• 1 month later...
Just now, Floortom said:

Signed? Not even a loan? So Colorado decided to just not offer him a contract based on what they saw from him in preseason? 
a bit odd if so and surprised he couldn’t catch on somewhere else in MLS

MLS' stupid rules probably make it hard to just leave and go to another MLS club.

43 minutes ago, narduch said:

MLS' stupid rules probably make it hard to just leave and go to another MLS club.

"The Halifax Wanderers Football Club is thrilled to announce the signing of Canadian midfielder Mohamed Omar. He joins the Wanderers on a two year deal, including a Club option for 2023.

Omar, 22, recently completed a stellar college career at Notre Dame where he captained his team to the NCAA Tournament Final Four. Turning heads with his performances, Omar was highly sought after, eventually selected in the first round of the 2022 MLS Superdraft pick by Colorado Rapids. After impressing on trials, some squad build limitations meant the Rapids were unable to offer a contract for 2022, giving Omar the chance to consider a range of alternative offers".

Edited by Corazon

40 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Is there a set amount of time Colorado would own his MLS Rights? 

I think it is to December 2022, it used to be two years after the year the player was drafted.

Edit: I checked the MLS roster rules, it is still two years, so to December 2023.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

20 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Weird move by Colorado (doesn’t look good on the front office regardless of stupid MLS rules)

but shout out the CPL. That’s why it was important to have our own league. Players like this would’ve fallen through the cracks and potentially never really play again

See: Jaineil Hoilett being drafted by FC Dallas and never playing a professional minute from that point onward

The MLS Draft has become less and less important with so many Clubs growing Academy Programs.  It still has it's value, but hopefully we continue to see the best CPL players jump to MLS and abroad like we've seen this offseason.  CPL has been such a blessing for kids like this and players like Borges & Bustos and many others.

A huge stepping stone for us would be changes in MLS rules.  We're seeing record numbers of Canadians on the MLS teams but they are still few and far between in USA.

It's worth keeping the draft as we have seen some integral players with our National Team drafted through MLS.  But for every Canadian drafted, there are 1 or 2 that never make to the MLS.

Edited by Corazon

40 minutes ago, Corazon said:

"After impressing on trials, some squad build limitations meant the Rapids were unable to offer a contract for 2022, giving Omar the chance to consider a range of alternative offers".

I wonder if one of those offers was MLS NextPro with Colorado, but he preferred the CPL option.

I think this is smart move on Mo Omar's part.  He's 22 years old and it is unclear what is his best position.  We often see talent wilt on the vine without playing time.  He's going to get a playing time under Stephen Hart and probably be groomed as a CB.  Especially with the two CB's they have being internationals (Schaale and Santos). 

• 2 years later...