The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Johnston I don't think is back with Celtic

Even though Johnston was in the states with us, and Celtic is currently on tour in the US, he actually flew straight home to Scotland and appears to have gotten engaged to his girlfriend while there. He was a shirt direct flight away from both his hometown and where his club is staying, yet chose to spend the rest of his summer in Scotland. That boy ain’t ever leaving Celtic. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Even though Johnston was in the states with us, and Celtic is currently on tour in the US, he actually flew straight home to Scotland and appears to have gotten engaged to his girlfriend while there. He was a shirt direct flight away from both his hometown and where his club is staying, yet chose to spend the rest of his summer in Scotland. That boy ain’t ever leaving Celtic. 

I posted it somewhere but EFL/Premier League say that players should get 5 weeks holiday, 3 weeks in a row.  Can't see it being that much different up north.

For instance, Antonio was out of the Copa with Jamaica on June 30.  He was back in training this week. A little over 3 weeks.

A player can of course cut that short (with or without pressure.)

37 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I posted it somewhere but EFL/Premier League say that players should get 5 weeks holiday, 3 weeks in a row.  Can't see it being that much different up north.

For instance, Antonio was out of the Copa with Jamaica on June 30.  He was back in training this week. A little over 3 weeks.

A player can of course cut that short (with or without pressure.)

He definitely deserves his break, I just thought it was a bit funny that he could’ve spent his vacation in sunny America, where his team is and he was, he could’ve spent it in sunny Canada, where his family is, but instead he thought, no, I’m going to spend my time back in Scotland, not exactly my first choice of destination if I have a couple weeks to kill in the middle of summer. 

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He definitely deserves his break, I just thought it was a bit funny that he could’ve spent his vacation in sunny America, where his team is and he was, he could’ve spent it in sunny Canada, where his family is, but instead he thought, no, I’m going to spend my time back in Scotland, not exactly my first choice of destination if I have a couple weeks to kill in the middle of summer. 

British summers are very short but often really nice.I  would trade it for the 36° we just had here in a second. 

Even Glasgow has just a handful of more rain days in the  average summer month compared to Toronto. Where I lived it was less.

• 2 weeks later...

Geez, Phonzie down to Page 3.

German press through Maximilian Koch today are reporting Bayern will change strategy when he's back training and will sell, and not insist in 50 million euros. But to the highest bid.

In As today, with no mention at all of Real Madrid. 

https://as.com/futbol/internacional/el-bayern-da-luz-verde-a-la-venta-de-davies-n/

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Whatever happens, nice to see him back  (ultra) fit and (at least temporarily) happy at Bayern

The responses to this by the Bayern fans in general were none too complimentary. They feel aggrieved by his refusal to re-sign and want him gone sooner than later. Mind you if he ends up resigning that will all go away instantly lol.

7 minutes ago, longlugan said:

The responses to this by the Bayern fans in general were none too complimentary. They feel aggrieved by his refusal to re-sign and want him gone sooner than later. Mind you if he ends up resigning that will all go away instantly lol.

If we are honest, barring a moment or 2, he didn't show them much to be complimentary of the second half of last season.

But as you say fans are fickle, especially social media ones, and if the coach wants him, he will have a fair shake.

1 hour ago, kohanz said:

Yikes. That management style will burn out sooooo fast.

Anyone know who he was yelling at?  I mean between Kompany stroking out and the players tuning him out, I don't think that style can be sustained for more than a couple weeks...

I’m sure that style of coaching is a lot more common than we think- Burnley probably released that as a middle finger to their recently departed coach after a terrible season. I do wonder how that style translates between a club like Burnley where most of your guys are trying to hang on in the premier league versus a club like Bayern where the players can run you off as much as you can run them off. 

I do have my concerns about the army general style and how it affects Davies. He seems like a guy who would probably play better under a lot more of an easy going coach who allows his guys to have fun with it, but these are all consummate professionals, so I’m sure they can handle a guy yelling at them here and there.

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Phonzie’s new manager:

If that video is accurate and not altered, he's psycho. I mean he totally lost it in that clip.  Can't see how that style can work at any level let alone top flight. He makes Tuchel look angelic in comparison. I would be very concerned for Davies.

I think managers can and often should go absolutely beserk in training, in fact it is where they have to go nuts. Reason to train closed doors. What happens, stays there, no leaks like this. Go fucking nuts on your guys in training, then in game situations project a different face. I am totally fine with it, and prefer it. 

I think I posted how my local u-19s played the Espanyol u-19s (and beat them), a top Liga academy, and that Espanyol coach, who I was right behind, was gesticulating, screaming, trying to adjust minor player positions on corners, free kicks, small positional stuff in transition, of course it was impossible for those kids to respond in a game situation. Then the guy started complaining about the fans in my local stadium (the peers of the players would go with flares, it was a bit much), anything to deflect.

So I started heckling the coach: hey coach, don't you train during the week? Hey coach, that's the shouting you're supposed to do on Tuesday afternoon. Hey guys, don't you practice set plays? And a bunch of those beardless kids on the bench turned to me with scared looks on their faces and said "we do train, we do practice corners". As if defending the idiot coaching them (Tenllado was one of those Espanyol coaches way back when).

Go fucking nuts on your guys in training, if that is what it takes; but manage game situations with a bit of calm. If you really don't like something on the pitch in a game, change what you can, or just sub a guy out if they've blown it. But wash your dirty laundry in private.

Kompany sounds like a player in that clip. Like, from his days as a CB and captain, calling out a fellow player for a poor effort. 

But he has to put his manager's hat on. He isn't in the fight anymore per se, it is a different role and he has to be more tactful. 

Hopefully he matures as a manager and figures this out. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think managers can and often should go absolutely beserk in training, in fact it is where they have to go nuts. Reason to train closed doors. What happens, stays there, no leaks like this. Go fucking nuts on your guys in training, then in game situations project a different face. I am totally fine with it, and prefer it. 

I think I posted how my local u-19s played the Espanyol u-19s (and beat them), a top Liga academy, and that Espanyol coach, who I was right behind, was gesticulating, screaming, trying to adjust minor player positions on corners, free kicks, small positional stuff in transition, of course it was impossible for those kids to respond in a game situation. Then the guy started complaining about the fans in my local stadium (the peers of the players would go with flares, it was a bit much), anything to deflect.

So I started heckling the coach: hey coach, don't you train during the week? Hey coach, that's the shouting you're supposed to do on Tuesday afternoon. Hey guys, don't you practice set plays? And a bunch of those beardless kids on the bench turned to me with scared looks on their faces and said "we do train, we do practice corners". As if defending the idiot coaching them (Tenllado was one of those Espanyol coaches way back when).

Go fucking nuts on your guys in training, if that is what it takes; but manage game situations with a bit of calm. If you really don't like something on the pitch in a game, change what you can, or just sub a guy out if they've blown it. But wash your dirty laundry in private.

I think there's a difference between how you treat academy U-19s and how you treat Premiership professionals.  I don't mind a coach roughing up the kids once in a while, especially for laziness or bad attitude.  But talking like that to grown men, a team of seasoned professionals, is just not going to work for long - this isn't Navy Seals boot camp.  Can you imagine him screaming like that at Thomas Muller or Harry Kane?

36 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I think there's a difference between how you treat academy U-19s and how you treat Premiership professionals.  I don't mind a coach roughing up the kids once in a while, especially for laziness or bad attitude.  But talking like that to grown men, a team of seasoned professionals, is just not going to work for long - this isn't Navy Seals boot camp.  Can you imagine him screaming like that at Thomas Muller or Harry Kane?

I just think it is a matter of different characters as well. Not everyone has to get enraged in the same way. There are also rhetorical blowups. 

I do agree that any good coach should be able to handle harshness with some control, for any age. And maybe Kompany is lacking experience, because it sounds like an overcompensation. We just spent 3 years listening to Xavi fret on sidelines saying "Me cago en la ostia", and "Hostia puta" and other lovely Spanish swearwords, incapable of thinking to himself, or even having a conversation with an assistant to focus and solve a problem, instead of cursing bad luck in a game situation.  Stop shitting on the holy host, Xavi, and focus. That too was lack of experience. Maybe some guys will actually never get there. Plenty of former players simply burnt up and fizzled on the sidelines, they freak, they see what is wrong but can't correct it. Many can't translate their playing experience and acumen into a decent coaching demeanour. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Do we believe Carlo?

"Our transfer window is closed. I am not going to ask for any signings," Ancelotti told a post-match press conference.

I don't.  If Bayern suddenly capitulated  - "Ok, fine, 35M - take him" - Carlo would be up at the podium tomorrow explaining how a transfer window is never really closed.