The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Here’s hoping Davies has a big match vs Di Maria (and/or any other attackers he faces). Last match he looked to have a some difficulty with Di Maria, so a big showing vs Argentina could be huge to show the progress he has made in his game (and our team game).

On 7/7/2024 at 6:11 PM, maccaliam said:

Here’s hoping Davies has a big match vs Di Maria (and/or any other attackers he faces). Last match he looked to have a some difficulty with Di Maria, so a big showing vs Argentina could be huge to show the progress he has made in his game (and our team game).

Davies has always had trouble with the fake shot/cross + chop - he bites so hard because he wants to stop everything, and guys like Di Maria who are so good at misdirection and playing off over-aggression, just love that.  Fact is too, if you play Di Maria conservative and give him space to do his thing (rather than biting), he will just go ahead and cross/shoot it, and that's bad too.  It's hard playing against guys who are good.  😟

22 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that we had a good defensive tournament overall and poorer offensive one with where he played.

Have to figure out how best to use our players still.

Hope he is okay. Scianitti says he went for x-rays.

Unfortunately I think our lack of LB depth put him there out of necessity.  If we can ever get a Sam Adekugbe back to form  or someone similar, then at least we will have some options.  

8 hours ago, GasPed said:

Unfortunately I think our lack of LB depth put him there out of necessity.  If we can ever get a Sam Adekugbe back to form  or someone similar, then at least we will have some options.  

Richie has played a lot of LB, and done it for Canada…  Marsch never went there, part of the answer to the question why not, is the emergence of Shaff and the Buchanan injury… but he could try it when Tajon is back

1 hour ago, ensco said:

Richie has played a lot of LB, and done it for Canada…  Marsch never went there, part of the answer to the question why not, is the emergence of Shaff and the Buchanan injury… but he could try it when Tajon is back

Didn't Richie start at LB vs Peru?

38 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Didn't Richie start at LB vs Peru?

I thought he was the wing, with Phonzie behind him… but not sure about my memory, I was there and probably had heatstroke!

1 hour ago, costarg said:

In this clip, he takes on one player at a time, last night he was regularly double-teamed with possession.  He's 1 of 11 with Bayern, but he's targeted when playing for CANMNT.

Not sure these tiny Copa fields really lend themselves to that kind of running down the line. Hasn't stopped a lot of people who don't know ball in these forums ("Millar sucks", David sucks" etc) convincing themselves it's a new Davies with a new style mind you

6 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

He’s in a good spot at Bayern with Kompany.   He needs to have a strong season…

I am leaning Bayern right now. I want to see him rebound and shut up all the Bayern fans saying he's been terrible since 2020. 

Let Davies cook under Kompany and then leave on a free.

I guess I am open to seein him re-sign as well, as long as he's won back respect from the fans, although I am not sure that happens no matter how good he plays if he doesn't re-sign. 

Now that Mbappe has been presented officially at Real Madrid, we may start to see the next movements there. 

The press says the options coming up next for them are Davies and Leny Yoro the kid at Lille. They need CB cover if Nacho goes but still have Alaba and Rudiger, and Yoro might be too green as yet. Then they will want to invest in the future with Davies.

I think Ancellotti wants him, they won't analyze his play for Canada that strictly but certainly will value that Canada was highly competitive and that he is part of that. The only question is whether you pay a sum now for the future--50 million-- or agree to wait on a free at the end of next season. It worked well for them with Mbappe, he came on a free and then there is an astronomical signing bonus (some say over 100 million euros). A transfer now reduces his bonus and might limit his salary, but he will still be making more than at BM. 

I think there are also accounting considerations, no fee for Mbappe means you can take his bonus and roll it into future seasons, so your 2024 outlay is not as high. They will have Nacho and Joselu off their books, and Modric will make 10 million less for this last season. Kroos is gone, that is 25 million of their books. Their accounting and financial management, have to say, is excellent, exemplary.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I am leaning Bayern right now. I want to see him rebound and shut up all the Bayern fans saying he's been terrible since 2020. 

Let Davies cook under Kompany and then leave on a free.

I guess I am open to seein him re-sign as well, as long as he's won back respect from the fans, although I am not sure that happens no matter how good he plays if he doesn't re-sign. 

Bayern fan here. I wouldn't say he's been terrible but he has definitely regressed. I think with a good start to the season he can erase all the negativity around him and I'd absolutely love for him to stay of course. He doesn't need to duplicate his success from earlier in his career right away but he does need to show that he is progressing towards it again. I think the blame for his recent form can be distributed equally. Phonzie has not matured as a player. The coaching situation hasn't helped him do that. Bayern management is not as supportive as they could be but it is a cruel business. I also think his agent(s) aren't helping the matter much. I hope he comes back to camp full of confidence after the Copa and reminds everyone what he is capable of. Anyways...just my dream scenario. 

I like the moves Bayern made this summer- Olise, Palhinia- I think they’re going to bounce back hard. Not that Madrid isn’t a great destination, but I think they’ve done a good job at plugging the holes they had last year. Davies seems more active on social media, he had a good summer with Canada, he’s primed for a comeback too. Could be a special season for Bayern. 

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I like the moves Bayern made this summer- Olise, Palhinia- I think they’re going to bounce back hard. Not that Madrid isn’t a great destination, but I think they’ve done a good job at plugging the holes they had last year. Davies seems more active on social media, he had a good summer with Canada, he’s primed for a comeback too. Could be a special season for Bayern. 

They are looking to dump salary and try to go young and hungry.  I think it could be great enviroment to grow leadership from our perspective.  

We can't really know what has been said behind closed doors but you have big +s to either side of staying or leaving.  (That said, leaving might not happen because Real won't pay.)  From a Canadian perspective, it feels like staying is better.  

24 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They are looking to dump salary and try to go young and hungry.  I think it could be great enviroment to grow leadership from our perspective.  

We can't really know what has been said behind closed doors but you have big +s to either side of staying or leaving.  (That said, leaving might not happen because Real won't pay.)  From a Canadian perspective, it feels like staying is better.  

Real Madrid is obviously a great destination in any scenario, but I was leaning heavily towards them because I thought that Davies was on the outs at Bayern, may be a bench player next year, Tuchel stays and sends him to the doghouse, etc. But for the reasons you mentioned + he finished the season strong + had a productive summer with Canada + Bayern seems to have firmly taken a step into the next generation, I think staying is a great move. 

Always felt the Davies thing was psychological- he’s obviously in insane shape, doesn’t party or get into trouble off the pitch, feel like you didn’t see that joy he played with these past few years. Feel like that’s turned the corner just in the way he’s talked and what he’s sharing on social media. Little to go off by, but I think he’s going to have a heck of a season and force Bayern to back up the brinks truck next summer. 

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Now that Mbappe has been presented officially at Real Madrid, we may start to see the next movements there. 

The press says the options coming up next for them are Davies and Leny Yoro the kid at Lille. They need CB cover if Nacho goes but still have Alaba and Rudiger, and Yoro might be too green as yet. Then they will want to invest in the future with Davies.

I think Ancellotti wants him, they won't analyze his play for Canada that strictly but certainly will value that Canada was highly competitive and that he is part of that. The only question is whether you pay a sum now for the future--50 million-- or agree to wait on a free at the end of next season. It worked well for them with Mbappe, he came on a free and then there is an astronomical signing bonus (some say over 100 million euros). A transfer now reduces his bonus and might limit his salary, but he will still be making more than at BM. 

I think there are also accounting considerations, no fee for Mbappe means you can take his bonus and roll it into future seasons, so your 2024 outlay is not as high. They will have Nacho and Joselu off their books, and Modric will make 10 million less for this last season. Kroos is gone, that is 25 million of their books. Their accounting and financial management, have to say, is excellent, exemplary.

Yoro is on his way to Manchester for a medical.  Real not willing to pay enough, apparently.

Be interesting to see what the finances mean for Davies.