The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

9 hours ago, masster said:

I can't really believe I live in a world where the captaincy announcement was the lead story on Sportscentre. I like it!

Davies as captain I said it years ago he would be Captain eventually and I was proven right. He gets named captain for Copa America and with the 2026 FIFA World Cup in our backyard, I wouldn't be surprised if he is captain for our World Cup squad as well

8 minutes ago, frmr said:

Apparently Bayern retracted their offer to Davies.

Not so much they retracted the offer, but the deal that the Bayern Director of Sport (Max Eberl) agreed to with Huoseh was rejected by the Bayern board.  Which, if true, demonstrates yet again the kind of clown show Bayern has apparently become.  That said, there's also no guarantee that same board will agree to a fee with RM - in fact there's a good chance they won't.  Which would likely end up with Bayern getting one good year from Davies, and precious little else to show for it.

On 6/17/2024 at 11:40 AM, Corazon said:

Caldwell thinks it should be Eustaquio but understands international selection is based more on skill.  But also thinks Marsch may be doing it to get more out of Davies.  Kilbane also disagrees with the captaincy decision.

Remember that Caldwell was an assistant coach for the MNT previously, so he has a better understanding of the dynamic than a regular media person. So if he thinks it is the wrong decision, I find that telling.

Also, did I hear correctly from Matthew Scianitti that the team bus left Davies behind the other day because he was late? Not really captain behaviour...

Edited by masster

4 hours ago, masster said:

Remember that Caldwell was an assistant coach for the MNT previously, so he has a better understanding of the dynamic than a regular media person. So if he thinks it is the wrong decision, I find that telling.

Also, did I hear correctly from Matthew Scianitti that the team bus left Davies behind the other day because he was late? Not really captain behaviour...

Remember that Marsch is a coach for the MNT currently, so he has a better understanding of the dynamic than a regular media person. So if he thinks it is the right decision, I find that telling.

1 hour ago, Mattd97 said:

Remember that Marsch is a coach for the MNT currently, so he has a better understanding of the dynamic than a regular media person. So if he thinks it is the right decision, I find that telling.

Caldwell has been working with Davies for longer than Marsch has.

Yeah and where exactly was Caldwell a head coach??? I still think 50% of this is a coaching/motivation tactic by a guy who has managed all over the world.  Star player who is a little flighty and less disiplined as he should be for his country? Make him Captain, make him grow up and take charge eh? Eustaquio already does that, his game or attitude isnt going to change with an armband, he is leading by example, that part of Davies game could go up about 2 notches from where it is now.  

Marsch is playing the long game. It's all about 2026. Let's face it Davies is the only Cdn player that gets/has international recognition/fans. Take a look at the Dutch crowd of kids/adults that swarmed around Phonzie. The CMNT is still fighting for recognition in our own country, desperate for funding and Davies will be on media/press conferences before/after games etc much more than he has ever done before. He was part of the joint  presentation for the 2026 WC bid and what a story that was.  This is the culmination of that process. Davies still likes to be "the kid" who entertains the players etc, but sometimes when you are elevated into a position of more responsibility it forces you to change perspective & mature, where the big picture/team is the #1 priority. Perhaps he's not ready, but he's got 2 yrs to grow into it and there are older players that will support him to get there. It's all good.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Caldwell has been working with Davies for longer than Marsch has.

the point was more how its solely an observation to validate a previous belief that can easily be reversed to validate the opposing the belief.  Phonzie was 19 and 20 years old when caldwell was an assistant coach.

18 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Marsch is playing the long game. It's all about 2026. Let's face it Davies is the only Cdn player that gets/has international recognition/fans. Take a look at the Dutch crowd of kids/adults that swarmed around Phonzie. The CMNT is still fighting for recognition in our own country, desperate for funding and Davies will be on media/press conferences before/after games etc much more than he has ever done before. He was part of the joint  presentation for the 2026 WC bid and what a story that was.  This is the culmination of that process. Davies still likes to be "the kid" who entertains the players etc, but sometimes when you are elevated into a position of more responsibility it forces you to change perspective & mature, where the big picture/team is the #1 priority. Perhaps he's not ready, but he's got 2 yrs to grow into it and there are older players that will support him to get there. It's all good.

I agree with everything you just said because you are right

I disagree with a lot of the Davies slander.

He's our best player, most illustrious, and he's a leader just by his play alone and he deserves the opportunity to lead our country. The same way it would be for Eustaqiuo, the coach just picked otherwise. 

I think Marsch's decision on this is in twofolds, it forces his best to lead/always think of the team first, and he realizes that he wants Davies to play LB (even though we know he can play higher up). Less hero ball.

I'll also say the brotherhood is still there, it's Marsch that has came in and put some order to it - like David as the designated PK taker. I just want to see him drop Larin for someone faster.

27 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

the point was more how its solely an observation to validate a previous belief that can easily be reversed to validate the opposing the belief.  Phonzie was 19 and 20 years old when caldwell was an assistant coach.

Sure. I don't actually disagree with Phonzie as captain. I was just pointing out that Caldwell has known Davies longer. Maybe Davies has radically changed in the time Caldwell has been gone from the staff. Maybe Marsch's two week experience with the young man trumps however long Caldwell has known/worked with him. Not really arguing either way. 

I still feel that Staq is strategically the better captain, but let's see how Davies performs now that he wears the armband. He was very good against France, but he was not captain that game. Staq is still a key leader out there, as are a few others. This is a team full of smart and responsible team-players. Mock the "brotherhood" all you want, the foundation of this team is indeed about fighting for each other, and that mindset will be key to any success we might have. If making Davies captain means he plays more responsible, more intelligent football, then I am all for it. 

16 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I still feel that Staq is strategically the better captain, but let's see how Davies performs now that he wears the armband. He was very good against France, but he was not captain that game. Staq is still a key leader out there, as are a few others. This is a team full of smart and responsible team-players. Mock the "brotherhood" all you want, the foundation of this team is indeed about fighting for each other, and that mindset will be key to any success we might have. If making Davies captain means he plays more responsible, more intelligent football, then I am all for it. 

I think it was @Watchmen who brought up the risk when it comes to Davies, which is that it could increase his propensity for hero ball, as he may feel he needs to do extra to impact the game. On the flipside, it could decrease the liklihood of heroball from Davies, just as you've described.

Considering the structure Marsch seems to have put in place, my bet (hope) is that we'll see a more responsible Davies with him wearing the armband. I think what we need from Davies is more consistency. If he's ultimately responsible for this team as the captain, perhaps he makes smarter decisions on when to go forward. Perhaps that'll result in fewer forays into the attack, but smarter and more effective forays into the attack, if that makes sense. 

Marsch understands how much the risk/reward ratio of naming Davies captain skews greatly towards the reward end of things on so many levels. I'm convinced those that can't see that are either very "risk-averse" types or just old as fuck. I'm pretty fucking old though so grain of salt yadda yadda.

Sometimes us old dudes like to bitch about the young people today (often with cause) but maybe I'm wrong, and no disrespect to the cats who played in my day, but if this happened 20 years ago, I'm thinkin' there's no way that guy would be playing for Canada in a tournament instead of being at home.

I hope this ages better than my last "nice to see" post.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I disagree with a lot of the Davies slander.

He's our best player, most illustrious, and he's a leader just by his play alone and he deserves the opportunity to lead our country. The same way it would be for Eustaqiuo, the coach just picked otherwise. 

I think Marsch's decision on this is in twofolds, it forces his best to lead/always think of the team first, and he realizes that he wants Davies to play LB (even though we know he can play higher up). Less hero ball.

I'll also say the brotherhood is still there, it's Marsch that has came in and put some order to it - like David as the designated PK taker. I just want to see him drop Larin for someone faster.

Slander?

50 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

Was at the Serb/ Slovenia game today ( a cracker !). Went to Bayern Shop at stadium and no Davies merchandise for sale FWIW

that said - let’s go Canada 🇨🇦 tonight 

Jović goal with like one second left in extra time was insane. I think Serbia was set to go home if they lost? Crazy.

Did you see a lot of other Bayern player shirts? Wondering if they pulled Davies from the shops or if he’s just not a shirt that sells much. The pro shops I’ve been to in Europe usually only sell the top stars, but I’m sure the BM shop in Munich is probably massive.