The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I can usually be okay with a decision if Duane Rollins comes out against it.

Someone from this forum referred to it as a "woke" decision... good effing grief.

This is a challenge for Phozie. Just because he behaved a certain way in the past or during a particular match, doesn't mean he can't mature and develop into a leader. He's still a kid!

If he fails to meet expectations, it will be a learning opportunity and will set the bar for his next turn as captain.

Marsch (and the leadership commitee) wants him to develop these qualities and the only way is with experience.

Edited by PastPros

46 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Someone from this forum referred to it as a "woke" decision... good effing grief.

This is a challenge for Phozie. Just because he behaved a certain way in the past or during a particular match, doesn't mean he can't mature and develop into a leader. He's still a kid!

If he fails to meet expectations, it will be a learning opportunity and will set the bar for his next turn as captain.

Marsch (and the leadership commitee) wants him to develop these qualities and the only way is with experience.

I think I have discussed the pros and cons of him being captain (or at least been a part of the discussion.)

It is what is at this point.

At least people care, I guess. Means we have some expectations for this tournament.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

6 minutes ago, PastPros said:

For better or for worse (in this tournament and the immediate future.)

He won't always be a kid, though.

I'm by no means suggesting he should never be captain, or that he can't mature and develop leadership qualities. I just wouldn't choose the second biggest tournament in ages we've qualified for to try and drill it into him when there are players on the squad that already show those qualities week in week out. He didn't even sound lime he wanted it when asked, and he refused to defend while wearing the armband in the second half against Holland 

21 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

#10 shirt man,  sensible management 

The most important job a manager has is the assignment of the jersey numbers. Didn't you know this @Obinna ?  ;)

Forget tactics, forget training:

➡️Jersey numbers.⬅️

Absolutely crucial.

-----

I'd like it if Davies stayed at Bayern this Fall because I want Molinaro to get all his predictions wrong.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/bold-soccer-predictions-for-2024-alphonso-to-madrid-canadian-teams-fall-short/

The more wrong they are, the better it is for Canada.

5 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The most important job a manager has is the assignment of the jersey numbers. Didn't you know this @Obinna ?  ;)

Forget tactics, forget training:

➡️Jersey numbers.⬅️

Absolutely crucial.

-----

I'd like it if Davies stayed at Bayern this Fall because I want Molinaro to get all his predictions wrong.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/bold-soccer-predictions-for-2024-alphonso-to-madrid-canadian-teams-fall-short/

The more wrong they are, the better it is for Canada.

Yeah some numbers are indenayable 

I’m for it. If we were a club, different story, but giving a guy an armband for 10 or so games per year based on him being by far our best player is fine to me. Would rather a happy Davies than giving the armband to a guy who could do a marginally better job. 

I don’t know how much influence a captain can have for a national team that practices for 2 weeks, then plays 3 games, then separates for 4 months can truly have, so might as well go with the lead by example guy, not the lead by authority. 

28 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I'm by no means suggesting he should never be captain, or that he can't mature and develop leadership qualities. I just wouldn't choose the second biggest tournament in ages we've qualified for to try and drill it into him when there are players on the squad that already show those qualities week in week out. He didn't even sound lime he wanted it when asked, and he refused to defend while wearing the armband in the second half against Holland 

He is reluctant for sure - but so was Staq (I'd have to go digging for his quote).

Marsch is using this tournament as prep for 2026. What other opportunity will the team have to test/challenge Davies' leadership abilities?

(I guess I am OK seeing an experiment fail, even if it's at a major tournament. )

Edited by PastPros

51 minutes ago, PastPros said:

If you're talking about me, then it's a meme making the rounds on football insta and twitter in the same vein as saying the game's gone, usually with a picture of Dyche attached to it. Such a ridiculous statement to take seriously even without context tbh but might as well clear it up.

Nothing about Davies play recently or on the field body language shows a leader, especially as the 3rd youngest player on the team. Should be Eustaquio and maybe Davies can be crowned for 2026 but a leader doesn't take a penalty when there's better options.

@PegCityCam see above

Edited by sebdeserio

I could be reading this completely wrong, but the fact they’ve listed Eustaquio as the only assistant captain on the announcement post as well, makes it feel like they all know Eustaquio should be the actual captain but that they’re deciding to give it to the best player instead.  Most countries also have 3rd and 4th captains as well.

I would say this decision also makes me think we will continue seeing Davies on set pieces as well.  It is what it is, I don’t agree with it but I’m sure it won’t be an issue with the players and team.

Edited by Corazon

11 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I could be reading this completely wrong, but the fact they’ve listed Eustaquio as the only assistant captain on the announcement post as well, makes it feel like they all know Eustaquio should be the actual captain but that they’re deciding to give it to the best player instead.  Most countries also have 3rd and 4th captains as well.

I would say this decision also makes me think we will continue seeing Davies on set pieces as well.  It is what it is, I don’t agree with it but I’m sure it won’t be an issue with the players and team.

We know his history but...

Bayern let him take some set pieces in the last games.  It is a learned skill. 

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We know his history but...

Bayern let him take some set pieces in the last games.  It is a learned skill. 

Figure a bit of it was Tuchel being a dead man walking, bad roster comp, and Davies seemingly all but gone factored into it, but I thought it was interesting that Bayern just let Davies play his preferred role/what he tries to do with Canada over those past few games, and it was probably the best he’s looked for Bayern in years.

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Discussing the captain thing on the TSN Euro coverage currently.

Caldwell thinks it should be Eustaquio but understands international selection is based more on skill.  But also thinks Marsch may be doing it to get more out of Davies.  Kilbane also disagrees with the captaincy decision.

Edited by Corazon

2 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Caldwell thinks it should be Eustaquio but understands international selection is based more on skill.  But also thinks Marsch may be doing it to get more out of Davies.

Hopefully that's Caldwell's thought and not Marsch's, because it's crazy to think that Davies can give more than he already is, or that if he could it would help.

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Figure a bit of it was Tuchel being a dead man walking, bad roster comp, and Davies seemingly all but gone factored into it, but I thought it was interesting that Bayern just let Davies play his preferred role/what he tries to do with Canada over those past few games, and it was probably the best he’s looked for Bayern in years.

I think social media (and this board) were the ones that thought he was all but gone. 

By the way Mbappe is not the best leader in that French side.

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think social media (and this board) were the ones that thought he was all but gone. 

By the way Mbappe is not the best leader in that French side.

There’s been a lot of ink spilled about Bayern’s board telling Davies “tell us what you want or leave” over the last year or so. From Tuchel’s POV it was less about Davies wanting his money or whatever and more that’s he clearly thought Mazraoui was the best LB in his system. And he has Guerrero. And Bayern will be getting Stanišić back. So it’s like, here’s this guy who doesn’t fit in my system, may as well be leaving, here, go have fun.

Mbappe is also not the best leader for France, but it isn’t like they’re going to give the armband to Griezmann or whoever their vet leader is once Giroud retires. Mbappe is the face of French soccer, Davies is the face of Canadian soccer. It sucks to acknowledge superstars deserve superstar treatment, but sometimes they do. 

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe Marsch thinks giving him the armband will make him grow up a bit, force him to be a serious leader type out there?

I hate to read to much into it, as instructions from previous coaches may have come into play, but against Netherlands and especially against France, we saw Davies as engaged and committed to playing a singular role on the pitch (left back with some attacking freedom) as at any point previously for Canada. If having him part of the leadership group means he needs to show he is buying in to the team philosophy, it's worth it.

Otherwise, leaders will lead. I don't think who wears the armband makes a huge difference.