The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, JAVIERF said:

I heard just now that Davies will wear shirt # 10 is that so?

It was said on LA RED 

Davies will wear 19 and David 20. I would be surprised if either changed numbers, but if so I could say David grabbing the 10, not Davies. 

I could also see Osorio grabbing it. 

Just now, Obinna said:

Davies will wear 19 and David 20. I would be surprised if either changed numbers, but if so I could say David grabbing the 10, not Davies. 

I could also see Osorio grabbing it. 

What about LDF?

On 6/14/2024 at 2:26 PM, kacbru said:

Pretty hard for Davies agent to claim he's the best LB in the world when Euro announcers are talking about Mittlestadt as the best LB in the Bundesliga.

Middlestat...that wouldn't happen to be a German name would it? lol

Edited by clamlinguine

Officially named captain moving forward. I get wanting to give the responsibility to a player who has big game experience and will be a important player for the next decade.

but, not sure I’m convinced he was the right choice just yet. Still has a tendency to play a bit selfish for the Nats, and idk if giving him some added responsibility will do anything to combat the “fuck it, I’ll do it myself” mentality. But I definitely can’t question Phonzie’s passion when playing for Canada.

Just now, Pottsy3 said:

Officially named captain moving forward. I get wanting to give the responsibility to a player who has big game experience and will be a important player for the next decade.

but, not sure I’m convinced he was the right choice just yet. Still has a tendency to play a bit selfish for the Nats, and idk if giving him some added responsibility will do anything to combat the “fuck it, I’ll do it myself” mentality. But I definitely can’t question Phonzie’s passion when playing for Canada.

Any links?

Not sure I am a fan of this. Davies is obviously the biggest profile player, but Eustaquio is more of a natural leader as far as I see it.

And I know we shouldn't draw too much from friendlies, but we lost 4-0 to the Dutch under Davies, then drew the French 0-0 under Eustaquio.

I wonder if Davies has actually shown anything in terms of leadership to suggest he is the better captain today.

My gut tells me this decision is about the future more than the present, and if he can grow into a legitimate captain by 2026 it would be great for Canada and himself personally. Jury is out for now, though.  

Edited by Obinna

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

My gut tells me this decision is about the future more than the present, and if he can grow into a legitimate captain by 2026 it would be great for Canada and himself personally.

I think you nailed it here. This is why he is captain for this tournament. I see the pros and cons of him being captain and Eustaquio being captain. Phonsie is still young and his potential for growth from this tournament as a captain is tremendous.

4 minutes ago, Namaste said:

I think you nailed it here. This is why he is captain for this tournament. I see the pros and cons of him being captain and Eustaquio being captain. Phonsie is still young and his potential for growth from this tournament as a captain is tremendous.

For sure. It's a sensible gamble betting on Davies to grow into this role. It could really help him evolve for country and club as well. 

22 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

I don’t know how much this really matters.   Doubt we’d play differently either way.   If anything this might get the most out of Phonzie…

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not sure I am a fan of this. Davies is obviously the biggest profile player, but Eustaquio is more of a natural leader as far as I see it.

And I know we shouldn't draw too much from friendlies, but we lost 4-0 to the Dutch under Davies, then drew the French 0-0 under Eustaquio.

I wonder if Davies has actually shown anything in terms of leadership to suggest he is the better captain today.

My gut tells me this decision is about the future more than the present, and if he can grow into a legitimate captain by 2026 it would be great for Canada and himself personally. Jury is out for now, though.  

The major difference for me is the body language and they way they talk to teammates in the heat of the moment.  Phonzie is usually frustrated, gesturing  and yelling, while Stache is usually composed.  It's the wrong kind of intensity.

I'm a nobody, but I would've gone Stache 10 times out of 10.  Davies needs to focus on his game, not the 10 around him and ref.  We've seen him try to do too much, very often it works against him not for him or CANMNT.

Edited by costarg

14 minutes ago, costarg said:

The major difference for me is the body language and they way they talk to teammates in the heat of the moment.  Phonzie is usually frustrated, gesturing  and yelling, while Stache is usually composed.  It's the wrong kind of intensity.

I'm a nobody, but I would've gone Stache 10 times out of 10.  Davies needs to focus on his game, not the 10 around him and ref.  We've seen him try to do too much, very often it works against him not for him or CANMNT.

Agree with that. 

I feel that even though Davies will be wearing the armband, he should be learning how to lead on the field from Eustaquio.

11 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Has a match loss or 'tournament fail' ever been the result of a poor choice of captain?

If it was a player commitee decision, then it's the right choice.

Most of the social media hot takes say more about the posters than the decision itself.

I can usually be okay with a decision if Duane Rollins comes out against it.