The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

10 hours ago, kacbru said:

John Herdman: "I don't want to name names, Brotherhood™ and all that, but some CMNT players hang around disreputable people and get caught up in activities that take their attention away from soccer."

This is the same argument I made a few Augusts ago about his obsessing with social media and I was derided for this opinion on the board. Like never.

I'm orthodox like Herdman. A player has to be focused on their play and limit media presence, certain social activities, especially when in the midst of competition. Herdman is right. No noise except when there's no competition.

The problem of how Davies is supposed to play, his role, position, that's where Herdman could have done a better job.

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is the same argument I made a few Augusts ago about his obsessing with social media and I was derided for this opinion on the board. Like never.

I'm orthodox like Herdman. A player has to be focused on their play and limit media presence, certain social activities, especially when in the midst of competition. Herdman is right. No noise except when there's no competition.

The problem of how Davies is supposed to play, his role, position, that's where Herdman could have done a better job.

You realise @kacbru was making up a quote for the caption, right?

On 7/21/2023 at 2:59 AM, Obinna said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuyoshi_Miura

56 year old playing in Portugual div 2

I hadn't heard of this guy, that's awesome.

Reminds me of my favourite Gordie Howe fact, if I can switch to hockey for a second.

A timeline
October 16, 1946 - Gordie Howe plays first NHL game
March 20, 1948 - Bobby Orr is born
October 19, 1966 - Bobby Orr plays first NHL game
November 1, 1978 - Bobby Orr plays last NHL game
June 13, 1979 - Bobby Orr inducted into the NHL Hall of Fame
April 6, 1980 - Gordie Howe plays last NHL game

16 hours ago, Kent said:

I hadn't heard of this guy, that's awesome.

Reminds me of my favourite Gordie Howe fact, if I can switch to hockey for a second.

A timeline
October 16, 1946 - Gordie Howe plays first NHL game
March 20, 1948 - Bobby Orr is born
October 19, 1966 - Bobby Orr plays first NHL game
November 1, 1978 - Bobby Orr plays last NHL game
June 13, 1979 - Bobby Orr inducted into the NHL Hall of Fame
April 6, 1980 - Gordie Howe plays last NHL game

I have a signed card from Gordie Howe I got directly from him at a clinic at North Van Rec Centre, probably around 1967, and he was old already, he was a player who's major triumphs with the RedWings were from the 50s. 

Spanish press today is insisting Davies hasn't renewed with Bayern and with his contract ending mid 2025, Real Madrid will make new offers for him. Bayern will be faced with having to take something for him if he's reticent to re-sign.

Madrid has really cleared up spots, have no young prospects, and they may be happy to let Mendy go and as Vinicius moves more into the centre of the attack, an attacking back makes more sense. 

The key for me is how much they have left to spend, if they bid for Mbappe again.

I think first time he's played against Manchester United.

So far in his career (not considering friendlies) he's played Barca, Man City, PSG, Chelsea, and Inter Milan. Obviously there are other big clubs too like Atletico, Benfica, Spurs, Ajax, Sevilla, Villarreal, etc.

Cool to see him add Manchester United to that list. 

Think it's really now just Liverpool, Arsenal, AC Milan, Real Madrid and Juventus he's yet to face in terms of mega clubs. 

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think first time he's played against Manchester United.

So far in his career (not considering friendlies) he's played Barca, Man City, PSG, Chelsea, and Inter Milan. Obviously there are other big clubs too like Atletico, Benfica, Spurs, Ajax, Sevilla, Villarreal, etc.

Cool to see him add Manchester United to that list. 

Think it's really now just Liverpool, Arsenal, AC Milan, Real Madrid and Juventus he's yet to face in terms of mega clubs. 

davies played vs RM and AC  in the champions cup if that counts. 

Against liverpool in preseason and on the bench in champions league twice against them. 

On the bench vs arsenal in the champions cup. 

You could technically manipulate the stats to say its only Juve he has left to face.... although thats misleading.