The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

I never understood errors like that, I mean did he just take a guess on which city in Alberta he's from? Ridiculous.

On 8/22/2023 at 6:47 PM, Ed_S said:

People from Edmonton are not going to like reading about Davies in the latest "Canadians in Europe' piece on TSN site. Don't editors proof read anymore??

23 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

So I was thinking… I think the people Kane would talk to the most based on language would have to be Davies and Musiala maybe Sane? I just think it’s kinda funny because they are very different people.

Most Germans speak very good English these days (but that is from experience in England).  Gnabry spent time in England as well.

Thinking through some of those players, Bayern don't grow at lot of their own do they?  They often buy young but the kids are usually professionals. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Germans almost all speak excellent English, especially the last few generations. It’s actually a funny issue, because no one can actually practice their German in Germany because locals are so quick to switch to perfect English when you mess up a word. Davies is probably gonna be the one Kane talks to the most not due to the shared language but because they’re going to be the most lethal offensive duo in all of Europe this year. 

23 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Germans almost all speak excellent English, especially the last few generations. It’s actually a funny issue, because no one can actually practice their German in Germany because locals are so quick to switch to perfect English when you mess up a word. Davies is probably gonna be the one Kane talks to the most not due to the shared language but because they’re going to be the most lethal offensive duo in all of Europe this year. 

That's what I was saying to some extent.  English has had a huge amount of Romance languages dumped into it over the centuries but it was the same language as German at one point. And  a lot more recently than it was all PIE.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Honestly didn’t know this, Only place I’ve really ever gone to that didn’t speak English was Spain and there was very little English there and you were basically forced to know at least some Spanish. I just assumed it’d be like that in most of Europe.

2 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Honestly didn’t know this, Only place I’ve really ever gone to that didn’t speak English was Spain and there was very little English there and you were basically forced to know at least some Spanish. I just assumed it’d be like that in most of Europe.

Germany + Benelux all have a higher percentage of fluent English speakers than Quebec does IIRC for comparison’s sake, but if you stick to the cities, virtually everyone speaks a pretty high level of English. Even in places in Poland and the Balkans, most people can converse with you in pretty good English. Older people, not always, but anyone under say 40 learned English in school and grew up with English media. 

I would assume Tuchel and most Bayern coaches coach in English, not German. 

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Germany + Benelux all have a higher percentage of fluent English speakers than Quebec does IIRC for comparison’s sake, but if you stick to the cities, virtually everyone speaks a pretty high level of English. Even in places in Poland and the Balkans, most people can converse with you in pretty good English. Older people, not always, but anyone under say 40 learned English in school and grew up with English media. 

I would assume Tuchel and most Bayern coaches coach in English, not German. 

It's funny but last year, Benjamin Pavard said the lingua franca of Bayern was actually French since half the players were in fact, French (Pavard, Sarr, Hernandez, Upamecano, Coman, Choupo-Moting, Tel, Nianzou).