The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

15 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Brasso was supposed to be the one that is pushing for a new Davies deal.  Some have written that if he goes (which apparently he has) Davies would probably leave. 

I'd trade him for Rice.  😉

I also saw something about how Tuchel will be part of the squad development this summer before a SD replacement is found. If Davies is that tied to Brasso and Tuchel is staying… this is like Bundesliga The Last Dance 

3 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

Not sure why he’s attached to Brazzo…I believe he just wants to see the direction the club is headed.  Also, maybe he doesn’t see a good fit with Tuchel.

Brazzo was almost singlehandedly responsible for signing him from the Caps - presented him the package, sold him on their player development plan, and then when the Caps threatened to scupper the deal by making Davies waive his 10% of the transfer fee, Brazzo went back to Bayern and got the extra money to keep Davies whole.  As per Nick Househ:

“It’s unfortunate, because the club [Whitecaps] shows Phonzie a lot of love publicly and on social-media — which is great — but when it came to showing him some real love for all the hard work he did, they fell short,” he said. “It was disappointing when Alphonso was asked to waive the 10 per cent that he was entitled to or the Bayern deal wouldn’t have happened. The Bayern guys, you’re dealing with people who know the ins (and outs). Dealing with them was completely … day and night between them and the Whitecaps."

Then after Davies' breakout year in 2019, Brazzo spearheaded the effort to get Davies an extension and raise.  I think it's fair to say the mutual respect and loyalty between Davies/Househ and Brazzo is quite different than the normal player/agent vs sporting director relationship.  And now that Brazzo's gone, I think it definitely changes Davies' perception towards Bayern. 

Edited by GasPed

14 hours ago, Shway said:

He's in a strong position. He's in no rush to sign any new deal. 
Bayern will have to offer him a massive bump in his pay or be forced to sell him. 

He probably feels some type of way about how they tried to "replace" him with Cancelo. 

One thing Bayern won't do is let him run down his contract. 

I agree that he is in an advantageous situation, but I wouldn't overstate the Cancelo loan. We have to remember that Hernández got a season ending injury just before the World Cup, and he was the normal cover, apart from also covering at CB. He was also a very expensive signing they can't get their money back on. So they needed to have a replacement option that would be reliable, but not buying anyone in winter, as when Hernández gets healthy again (he's training again they say) they'd have 2 for the position.

21 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

The press here reports that the agent said they wouldn't worry about renewals until 2024.

In related news, seems that Kimmich was also close to Salihamidzic, but even before that firing he was rumoured to be on Barça's list, I think he'd be a solid signing with Busquets leaving. Also read reported, not sure if it was him or some other player, saying they could have waited a few days before make the FO changes, to let the team celebrate the league win. 

Bayern has shitty, inhuman ways of working, they are real Philistines, no offence to the original culture.

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The press here reports that the agent said they wouldn't worry about renewals until 2024.

In related news, seems that Kimmich was also close to Salihamidzic, but even before that firing he was rumoured to be on Barça's list, I think he'd be a solid signing with Busquets leaving. Also read reported, not sure if it was him or some other player, saying they could have waited a few days before make the FO changes, to let the team celebrate the league win. 

Bayern has shitty, inhuman ways of working, they are real Philistines, no offence to the original culture.

Busquets actually mentioned Kimmich as a good replacement for himself recently- I figure players just say whatever they want, but I wonder if a veteran who has been around for so long just says something like that because he knows there’s at least some interest behind the scenes to make it happen.

I heard that one of the guys they fired, I think Kahn, couldn’t attend the celebration because he almost came to blows in the meeting where he found out. You hear about these executive shakeups and you think that they happen all sophisticated like an episode of Succession or House of Cards or what have you when in reality it’s one of the biggest sports organizations in the world flying by the seat of their pants and not taking time to give their star players a heads up.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Busquets actually mentioned Kimmich as a good replacement for himself recently- I figure players just say whatever they want, but I wonder if a veteran who has been around for so long just says something like that because he knows there’s at least some interest behind the scenes to make it happen.

I heard that one of the guys they fired, I think Kahn, couldn’t attend the celebration because he almost came to blows in the meeting where he found out. You hear about these executive shakeups and you think that they happen all sophisticated like an episode of Succession or House of Cards or what have you when in reality it’s one of the biggest sports organizations in the world flying by the seat of their pants and not taking time to give their star players a heads up.

They refused to let him and Salihamidzic celebrate with the players. But that's the Bayern way, I hate them for a reason.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

This statement is pretty ironic coming from a Barca fan no?

Not at all, Barcelona treats players well, at least equal likely better than equivalent rivals.

We also have a far better relationship with the academy and loyalty is far superior to and from academy players. 

What other club "retires" as many homegrowns, like we just did with Busquets?

We also are member owned and operate with internal democracy. Of course democracy doesn't always work. But what other clubs can produce a non confidence motion from fans to oust a president and board?

I realize little of this matters to hearsay fans.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I had to laugh because all this make sense to a Barca Socio.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not at all, Barcelona treats players well, at least equal likely better than equivalent rivals.

We remember what was done with De Jong, Depay, and others who they got on a free and then proceeded to price gouge.
I don't believe Bayern has done this in recent times. With Barca this all just happened this year.

We also have a far better relationship with the academy and loyalty is far superior to and from academy players. 

For every Pedri, Gavi, Fati.... theres Simmons, Onana, Grimaldo, Cucurella. What Barca does with their academy players is no different from any other club. What they do have over others is the prestige.

What other club "retires" as many homegrowns, like we just did with Busquets?

You should've said Puyol, who would also join AC Milan/Maldinni, Liverpool/Gerrard & Carragher, Arsenal/Adams, Everton/Hibbert, United/Giggs, Neville & Scholes. Busquets isn't retiring at Barca.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

We remember what was done with De Jong, Depay, and others who they got on a free and then proceeded to price gouge.
I don't believe Bayern has done this in recent times. With Barca this all just happened this year.

Add on top of that spending €55m for Torres while being over $1b in debt and then not being able to register all their players. 

24 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Add on top of that spending €55m for Torres while being over $1b in debt and then not being able to register all their players. 

Depay, Kessie, Torres, Raphina, aubamayeng were all brought in without a great plan for them. It could turn out fine for kessie, torres, and raphina still but depay, aubamayeng and the treatment of de jong was shambolic at best. 

Just now, Bigandy said:

Depay, Kessie, Torres, Raphina, aubamayeng were all brought in without a great plan for them. It could turn out fine for kessie, torres, and raphina still but depay, aubamayeng and the treatment of de jong was shambolic at best. 

Really guys, this is what I meant by "hearsay" fans, when I was responding to @Shway, there's the media take, the Twitter take, the jump onto what my favourite pundit says take--then you can analyse a bit more deeply. Especially when signing, big clubs do a lot of odd things and not all players work out, and there does tend to be fallout and collateral damage, but its only relative. 

If you look at what happened with Vinicius at Valencia the same deal, there is a hell of a lot going on there, but folks prefer their little pet narratives.

I don't get why the hearsay fans are so offended when I say the same thing about Bayern as the vast majority of fans in Germany and, apparently, many of their own fans, players and former directors. Countering with oh what about Barça, when I vote in club elections and participate from the inside, is just admitting you really have no arguments at all. 

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Really guys, this is what I meant by "hearsay" fans, when I was responding to @Shway, there's the media take, the Twitter take, the jump onto what my favourite pundit says take--then you can analyse a bit more deeply. Especially when signing, big clubs do a lot of odd things and not all players work out, and there does tend to be fallout and collateral damage, but its only relative. 

If you look at what happened with Vinicius at Valencia the same deal, there is a hell of a lot going on there, but folks prefer their little pet narratives.

I don't get why the hearsay fans are so offended when I say the same thing about Bayern as the vast majority of fans in Germany and, apparently, many of their own fans, players and former directors. Countering with oh what about Barça, when I vote in club elections and participate from the inside, is just admitting you really have no arguments at all. 

I totally get your point of my response being a shallow take and not diving deep. But I am not sure how you argue the financial crisis barca went through resulted in short term free signings that were not the best transfer strategy. Depay and auba were not good fits. Kessie isnt a great fit but they were free. Did barca use these guys - I think so. Is that wrong? - I dont think so but its certainly not treating their players amazing. 

The fact that the club was poorly run and they had to let messi leave is also insane.  If they treated their players exceptionally, they should have had the foresight to protect messi. 

2 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I totally get your point of my response being a shallow take and not diving deep. But I am not sure how you argue the financial crisis barca went through resulted in short term free signings that were not the best transfer strategy. Depay and auba were not good fits. Kessie isnt a great fit but they were free. Did barca use these guys - I think so. Is that wrong? - I dont think so but its certainly not treating their players amazing. 

The fact that the club was poorly run and they had to let messi leave is also insane.  If they treated their players exceptionally, they should have had the foresight to protect messi. 

Now Hear he, hear he this is all hearsay.