The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Real Madrid or any big club is not going to say we are all in for just one player, that would drive the prices up and they'd end up being the only bidder.

If you look how they tend to sign, it is not so much a ready-made star but someone who can improve as they move into the team, either because they are young or just need time. So Vini, Rodrygo, Valverde, Camavinga, they are all being adapted and rather successfully. 

Mbappe does not make sense for them as Vinicius plays in the same position and neither is going to replace Benzema. Bellingham would be very expensive and not clearly an improvement on other attacking mids. Davies would also be expensive for the function everyone thinks he'd have as LB. Of all three, if you had to go for one, you'd focus on Bellingham as you need to cover for Modric and Kroos eventually, you need midfield support. Then a replacement for Benzema. 

Just my opinion, but I think Davies won't move this summer.

They are also supposedly in for Rice as well.  Give us Vinicius and we could almost call it even.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They are also supposedly in for Rice as well.  Give us Vinicius and we could almost call it even.

Declan? Thought Bayern was looking at Rice.

Vinicius is going to get a career-ending injury sooner rather than later because he is constantly provoking rivals. Some day someone is going to say "enough".

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Real Madrid or any big club is not going to say we are all in for just one player, that would drive the prices up and they'd end up being the only bidder.

If you look how they tend to sign, it is not so much a ready-made star but someone who can improve as they move into the team, either because they are young or just need time. So Vini, Rodrygo, Valverde, Camavinga, they are all being adapted and rather successfully. 

Mbappe does not make sense for them as Vinicius plays in the same position and neither is going to replace Benzema. Bellingham would be very expensive and not clearly an improvement on other attacking mids. Davies would also be expensive for the function everyone thinks he'd have as LB. Of all three, if you had to go for one, you'd focus on Bellingham as you need to cover for Modric and Kroos eventually, you need midfield support. Then a replacement for Benzema. 

Just my opinion, but I think Davies won't move this summer.

Mbappe to Madrid can make sense. Most teams have 3 strikers. Madrid only trust benzema or players playing out of position. Hes also getting older and has had some injuries this year. Through injuries, rotation, playing one of vini or mbappe on the right, or having 2 strikers on the field there should be plenty of game time for all 3 in the next 1-3 years until benzema gives way to mbappe. 

Although you make a good case about their recent transfer policy. Endrick was signed as a benzema replacement (i think?) Realistically, there are very few players who can immediately improve RM, have the star power that RM love, and have the personality to handle RM. Mbappe and Haaland are the only 2 strikers who really fit that criteria. (Lewandowski but obv hes not an option)

11 hours ago, Shway said:

If I’m Alphonso I’m riding out this contract or going wit the team that shows real interest whether that’s Madrid or Citeh. 

Both teams need a LB btw.

I dont think davies fits city at all. 

They dont use traditional FB's anymore. Zinchenko and cancelo played hybrid MF roles last year. 

This year Stones pops into MF with Ake/akanji at "LB" and walker now playing more of a hybrid CB/RB role. 

Every single speedy/risk takers/dribblers have been sold by pep and replaced with guys who have high possession quality's. Sterling and sane for grealish and mahrez. 

Davies cant play a CB/LB hybrid like walker and he isnt suited for a MF hybrid role like stones.  

26 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Mbappe to Madrid can make sense. Most teams have 3 strikers. Madrid only trust benzema or players playing out of position. Hes also getting older and has had some injuries this year. Through injuries, rotation, playing one of vini or mbappe on the right, or having 2 strikers on the field there should be plenty of game time for all 3 in the next 1-3 years until benzema gives way to mbappe. 

Although you make a good case about their recent transfer policy. Endrick was signed as a benzema replacement (i think?) Realistically, there are very few players who can immediately improve RM, have the star power that RM love, and have the personality to handle RM. Mbappe and Haaland are the only 2 strikers who really fit that criteria. (Lewandowski but obv hes not an option)

We disagree about where Mbappe plays, he does not play at all like Benzema, or a Lewandowski. He cannot play in tight, not with a defender on his back, he's better in transition and even countering. For me he crowds Vini's space, he is always shifted over to the left if not a pure wing at times. Madrid just need to think about media-friendly players to sell shirts, I suspect their merchandising with the current roster is below what they feel it should be. So they throw around these names (though I don't think Bellingham is a big media signing).

This is why for me David would be better cover for Benzema and has more similar play, including not having a big shot from distance and not being deadly in the air. But I am not saying David is the best cover, just a solid candidate.

Anyways, back to Mbappe--I think a player like that has to go to a team where either they are decided to build the team around him, which is fair. Or else he decides he needs a CL and looks for the team that can ensure that, the way Henry came to Barça.

29 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I dont think davies fits city at all. 

They dont use traditional FB's anymore. Zinchenko and cancelo played hybrid MF roles last year. 

This year Stones pops into MF with Ake/akanji at "LB" and walker now playing more of a hybrid CB/RB role. 

Every single speedy/risk takers/dribblers have been sold by pep and replaced with guys who have high possession quality's. Sterling and sane for grealish and mahrez. 

Davies cant play a CB/LB hybrid like walker and he isnt suited for a MF hybrid role like stones.  

I agree with everything your saying. BUT it's city....they buy the best available talent. 

I don't see Davies moving this season. Why would he? Why would Bayern sell one of the players they intend to make the face of their club moving forward? Why would Davies leave an extremely comfortable situation where he can sleepwalk into another 20 trophies over the rest of his career, where he's likely going to be made one of the best paid players in Germany, where he's going to be one of the faces of soccer in the world's biggest soccer economy? Why would Madrid or City, one of whom will win the champions league this year, spend 70M on a player that you didn't even need this year, especially after one of those clubs spends $130M on Bellingham.

Just feels like a move that is more interesting for fans than practical for anyone involved. Sure, Madrid and City compete for "better trophies" and there's the perception that Bayern plays in a farmers league, but I doubt Davies cares about that. The only argument I see is that he can probably earn more in Spain or England, and fine, money is money, but aside from that, I don't see how a move helps Davies' career in any way, and certainly doesn't help Bayern in any way.

17 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don't see Davies moving this season. Why would he? Why would Bayern sell one of the players they intend to make the face of their club moving forward? Why would Davies leave an extremely comfortable situation where he can sleepwalk into another 20 trophies over the rest of his career, where he's likely going to be made one of the best paid players in Germany, where he's going to be one of the faces of soccer in the world's biggest soccer economy? Why would Madrid or City, one of whom will win the champions league this year, spend 70M on a player that you didn't even need this year, especially after one of those clubs spends $130M on Bellingham.

Just feels like a move that is more interesting for fans than practical for anyone involved. Sure, Madrid and City compete for "better trophies" and there's the perception that Bayern plays in a farmers league, but I doubt Davies cares about that. The only argument I see is that he can probably earn more in Spain or England, and fine, money is money, but aside from that, I don't see how a move helps Davies' career in any way, and certainly doesn't help Bayern in any way.

Tuchel

Mbappe, sure he's one of the best players in the world but he's going to need to play.  Madrid cannot and should not make any adjustments on Benzema & Vinicius and even Rodrygo has had a bit of a breakout season this year.  Asensio is one of the best strikers to have as an option off the bench as well.  I know he's being heavily approached now and likely for a starting role but it seems like he is very happy at Madrid and the rotation they currently have for him.  I'm in agreement that I'm not sure how he fits in at Madrid but it is Mbappe who is going to be one of the world's best for the next 5 to 10 years at least.  Hard to pass up.

I like the Bellingham interest for Madrid.  I think he would fit in nicely, however Madrid is loaded in the midfield and yes Kroos and Modric are old but do not appear to be slowing down.  Then you have young players like Tchoumeni, Valverde & Camavinga for the midfield role.  All 3 are elite midfielders already.  But again, hard to pass up the opportunity to sign one of the best young players in the world.

Which brings me to Davies, and left back.  To me, Davies is the easiest fit for Madrid.  Mendy is the only true natural left back there and appears to be the last choice to play there.  Alaba can play LB but is much better at CB.  Camavinga has done a great job at left back but he has continually expressed his desire to move back to the midfield.  In my opinion, Davies would be a great signing for Madrid and you could move Camavinga back into the midfield.  You can put me down for one of the people who'd love to see Davies move on from Bayern.  Especially with Tuchel in charge and because he has already won it all with Bayern.  FWIW, I'd love to see him remain at Bayern as well.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

When does his contract end?

Smart teams don't let a player play out a contract year. You move him with 1 year left or re sign early

Dortmund wins easily today meaning if they win next week, they win the title. They play Mainz in 9th and Bayern plays Koln in 10th. Mainz have lost the last 4 and have nothing left to play with, so edge to BVB for now.

I wonder what happens with Bayern after this. 

If tuchel goes I’d like Davies to stay, if he stays Davies gotta get tf outta there.

Dortmund wins easily today meaning if they win next week, they win the title. They play Mainz in 9th and Bayern plays Koln in 10th. Mainz have lost the last 4 and have nothing left to play with, so edge to BVB for now.

I wonder what happens with Bayern after this. 

They have to say goodbye to Kahn, who is a terrible professional and arrogant af, and probably Salihamidžić (cut and pasted for the accents!). They are the ones that made the terrible decision to change coaches at the wrong time, destabilising the team. 

The cost of changing Tuchel is too high and if they are rebuilding, it makes no sense to rebuild with anyone else but him.

Problem is that their attitude will make it harder to retain players as you can see the veterans and other key people on the roster are a bit fed up. Lewandowski already saw what was coming, Müller knows his time is up, Kimmich is rumoured to move (good chance to Barça), Neuer has been in rebellion since before his accident because they canned his longstanding goalkeeping trainer. The younger guys like Davies don't need to lead the charge, it is too early for him and he is not veteran enough to become impatient or ungrateful, but he'd be part of the next wave. If they clean house with any of the younger guys he is closer to, then things will change.

Related to Davies: I think BM are not going to retain Cancelo, he has offers and probably sees it as a club where he is not first choice, and will be even less so when Hernández gets healthy again, he's been training for the past month but won't reappear until next season.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They have to say goodbye to Kahn, who is a terrible professional and arrogant af, and probably Salihamidžić (cut and pasted for the accents!). They are the ones that made the terrible decision to change coaches at the wrong time, destabilising the team. 

The cost of changing Tuchel is too high and if they are rebuilding, it makes no sense to rebuild with anyone else but him.

Problem is that their attitude will make it harder to retain players as you can see the veterans and other key people on the roster are a bit fed up. Lewandowski already saw what was coming, Müller knows his time is up, Kimmich is rumoured to move (good chance to Barça), Neuer has been in rebellion since before his accident because they canned his longstanding goalkeeping trainer. The younger guys like Davies don't need to lead the charge, it is too early for him and he is not veteran enough to become impatient or ungrateful, but he'd be part of the next wave. If they clean house with any of the younger guys he is closer to, then things will change.

Related to Davies: I think BM are not going to retain Cancelo, he has offers and probably sees it as a club where he is not first choice, and will be even less so when Hernández gets healthy again, he's been training for the past month but won't reappear until next season.

I am on the same page that Tuchel goes nowhere for the start of next season; makes no sense for Bayern to get rid of him now, in the same way, it made no sense to have gotten rid of Nagelsmann.  It would be like admitting they made a mistake.  And I think Salihamidzic is the problem and could be argued, has been a problem for a while.  It might be good for Bayern to not win the championship this season.  

BTW, I was in Munich for a week right after the WC in Qatar (Phonzie was on my flight out of Doha)...I bought an 1860 Munchen top.  If it wasn't for Phonzie, I wouldn't watch Bayern.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I wonder what they do with Tuchel. On one hand, as you say, they can’t afford to fire him, but on the other, if they fired Nagelsmann for not leading the league convincingly enough, how can Tuchel keep his job after losing the title in what, the first time in 12 years?

I’ve heard a ton of “rumours” about BM not keeping Cancelo this year; they stated coming out like two weeks after he arrived, it seems it wasn't a great fit.

I wonder where they spend their money. They’re linked to every other big striker in Europe- this week it’s Vlahovic, before that it was David, a few others have come up, but Bayern have averaged the exact same number of goals this year as they did during peak Lewy (at least they did when I last checked a month ago), so I don’t know if that’s the problem. When you dissect their season, you see just lazy points being deducted. Bad own goal that led to a draw. Red card in the 9th minute by Upamecano.  Dropping points to mediocre to bad teams. Just feels like a problem you can’t pour money onto because these guys shouldn’t make those mistakes. It’s why I think a new coach might help, but if they’re going to keep TT, better clean house with the rest of the FO then, because someone, or somebodies involved with Bayern is discouraging these players from playing their best, I doubt it’s a personnel issue. 

Finished reading AD's biography - A New Hope- by Farhan Devji. Most of us would be familiar with the big pic re AD, but there's  lots of interesting tidbits in the book. Worth the read. Retails for $24.95 and is also available in the public library system depending on where you live. 

Edited by Kadenge