The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That may come down to options. For Davies they have a guy the coach may consider his equal.  For Upa, there may not be a like-for-like replacement.  

It's definitely that- I don't know who you replace him with, but he's been so destructive, crazy that they have to play him by default.

BT Sport commentators both surprised Davies wasn’t in the starting 11 when Bayern “really needed to go for it”.

84th min and Davies has a run down the flank with blistering pace and finds a nice ball inside to Tel. BT Sport commentators praising him. 

Looks like City are bringing on Walker to deal with Davies speed.

Small victories for Davies when facing some adversity as of late. 

Just now, cronaldo7 said:

BT Sport commentators both surprised Davies wasn’t in the starting 11 when Bayern “really needed to go for it”.

84th min and Davies has a run down the flank with blistering pace and finds a nice ball inside to Tel. BT Sport commentators praising him. 

When you've got to push the issue, you'd think you'd want Davies on the field at the very least because you need his recovery pace in transition when you give up the ball. Idiotic team selection.

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I didn’t get to watch the whole game due to work commitments but Davies has looked good since I turned it on. Attacking well going forward and covering Bayern’s ass going the other way.  May be trying to send a message to the manager.  

Tuchel with a horrid start at Bayern. Now been sent off for acting like a mad man on the sideline. 

Unnerving times at Bayern. 

3 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Tuchel's an ass. This game needed goals and he left the defender with the best attacking ability on the bench.  Pavard at CB for Upamecano, Cancelo at RB and Davies at LB.  I'm feeling some  @Unnamed Trialisthate for Bayern 😁

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's definitely that- I don't know who you replace him with, but he's been so destructive, crazy that they have to play him by default.

They definitely had options - move Pavard to RCB, Cancelo to RB, Davies to LB - but for some reason Tuchel didn't want to do that.  I will say this - Upamecano is a beast against physically inferior forwards, but when he is up against someone who's bigger/stronger/faster (e.g. Haaland, Muani) he has put up some horrible games.  Just cannot play against someone he can't bully.

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Good performance by Davies even if was relatively meaningless. 

While I feel bad for Phonzie, I'm happy Bayern has been shit since they sacked Nagelsman and brought in Tuchel. 

Here's the thing - while the game was sort of trivial, I can guarantee Davies felt it.  I.e. Benching your young star left-back in a Champions League game against City, where you could really use his offense if you want to have any chance it all - well, regardless of whether Tuchel was trying to send a message, I think Davies got one.

And for better or for worse, I suspect Davies will remember that too when Bayern tries to extend his contract this summer.  This bad stretch of games with Tuchel may well have longer-term consequences beyond this season.  There are already rumours that he has alienated the previously starting right backs (Mazraoui, Stanisic) with his penchant for choosing Cancelo over them...

Ultimately, a move away is in his best interest, regardless of the coach. He has regressed as an attacker, or at least failed to develop further. We are talking about someone who is a Bukayo Saka level player. Perhaps even better. And while Saka moonlighted at Fullback/Wingback to start, he was eventually moved to wing full time. With more one dimensional players like Gnabry and Coman ahead of Phonzie to playon the wing, I don't think that is going to happen at Bayern. Time to go somewhere that it will.

1 hour ago, Wingback6 said:

Ultimately, a move away is in his best interest, regardless of the coach. He has regressed as an attacker, or at least failed to develop further. We are talking about someone who is a Bukayo Saka level player. Perhaps even better. And while Saka moonlighted at Fullback/Wingback to start, he was eventually moved to wing full time. With more one dimensional players like Gnabry and Coman ahead of Phonzie to playon the wing, I don't think that is going to happen at Bayern. Time to go somewhere that it will.

I think the only thing that would keep him interested is if Bayern sell Gnabry, Mane and/or Sane over the summer.  (Interestingly there are some rumours that they just might do all three.)