The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Davies on in the 60th and playing LB. Cancelo moved inside.

Davies looking more confident in this game. He’s had some joy attacking down the left with some tidy balls inside when in the final third. Really demanding the ball and has looked like one of the most dangerous players for Bayern in a 1-1 game.

The thing about his dip in form with Bayern: He isn’t the only one. Muisala, Gnabry, Muller all haven’t looked like themselves as of late. 

Happy to see Davies react positively after a poor performance vs City. He’s showing he isn’t going to wither away in these tough moments.

19 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

All of a sudden, after a poor performance, Real Madrid and Man City are very interested in signing Davies this summer!! Crazy, I bet Bayern is being difficult with the contract extension and his agent wants to turn up the pressure a little bit.

I fucking hate City but I'm not going to lie, the prospect of a Canadian perennially winning Premier League titles is tempting. RM would be pretty insane too. I actually wouldn't mind to see him leave Bayern. They seem like they could be entering a period of relative downturn.

11 minutes ago, frmr said:

I fucking hate City but I'm not going to lie, the prospect of a Canadian perennially winning Premier League titles is tempting. RM would be pretty insane too. I actually wouldn't mind to see him leave Bayern. They seem like they could be entering a period of relative downturn.

I prefer the prospect of Davies spending the next 15 years at Bayern, retiring as the most decorated footballer of all time -he has 12 over 5 seasons at Bayern, he'd have to sustain this pace over another 13 seasons to beat Alves' record of 43, which isn't completely outlandish at Bayern, especially if Canada adds a Gold Cup or nations league trophy or two in there- but I wouldn't mind him winning Champions League on a second club, winning Premier League, etc. I think it's just a funny time for this rumour to drop, especially since he's never even hinted at wanting to look at other options.

12 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I prefer the prospect of Davies spending the next 15 years at Bayern, retiring as the most decorated footballer of all time -he has 12 over 5 seasons at Bayern, he'd have to sustain this pace over another 13 seasons to beat Alves' record of 43, which isn't completely outlandish at Bayern, especially if Canada adds a Gold Cup or nations league trophy or two in there- but I wouldn't mind him winning Champions League on a second club, winning Premier League, etc. I think it's just a funny time for this rumour to drop, especially since he's never even hinted at wanting to look at other options.

Better not use Alves as the benchmark, the rape charges and his imprisonment seem well justified. I know he has those trophies and there's no sentence or even trial yet on the charges, it's the reference no doubt and you're right. I sure there was no intention on your part....just disgusted by what we know of the case.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Better not use Alves as the benchmark, the rape charges and his imprisonment seem well justified. I know he has those trophies and there's no sentence or even trial yet on the charges, it's the reference no doubt and you're right. I sure there was no intention on your part....just disgusted by what we know of the case.

I only mentioned him because he currently has the most, but to be clear, fuck him, he’s scum. 

Actually, by the time Davies gets up there in age, the record will probably be held by Neuer or Muller or someone. I think Messi is two behind, will win Ligue 1 this year, add a few supporters shields, and he may have the record by the time he retires.

Yup, he didn't have a good first leg - in fact all his performances under Tuchel have been underwhelming, and Tuchel has no qualms about benching players he's not convinced about.  I was worried this could happen when Nagelsmann was fired - Nagelsmann was a huge believer in Davies, but not convinced about Cancelo.  With Tuchel, it's the other way around...

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Saw something on twitter that Davies picked up a knock or something? I think JDD tweeted it. Crazy if he's getting benched for form but Upamecano is still allowed to see the pitch.

That may come down to options. For Davies they have a guy the coach may consider his equal.  For Upa, there may not be a like-for-like replacement.