The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He was just listless, much of the team was similar. I only liked Kimmich frankly.

Now this I agree with. He nails it here @InglewoodJack. The whole team just lacked (Kimmich aside). 

Edit - Sane was good too. At least he was trying. Coman also, but both of these guys struggle with decision making at this elite level. Nobody else strikes me as having had a good game, Davies included. 

Edited by Obinna

20 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Firing their manager while getting to the QFs of the cup and champions league while battling it out with Dortmund for first place in the league was the stupidest decision in ive seen in a long time. 

EDIT: Davies should have made an effort on that cross. Allowed City to put the header back across on a plate for Haaland. 

Arguably firing a manager after making the knockout rounds of the Champions league for the first time in their history like Brugge did was dumber.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's never played like a proper attacking back, or very rarely, at Bayern. Poor coaching mostly. Overlaps not used.....

That's the way Bayern played under Hansi Flick. Davies is never going to be a great defender.  That's not his Forte. He's never had defensive insticts. He reacts vs anticipates and because of his blazing speed is able to recover when defending. His recognition in world football is for his attacking ability down the flank and getting past defenders to set up teammates in the box. If Tuchel is trying to put the brakes on Davies it's not going to end well for Bayern or Davies

13 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Davies for some strange reason being scapegoated alongside Upamecano?? People seriously think he should have somehow been on Silva on his goal?

Third goal was a lot on Davies.  Gave up the corner then didn't jump with Stones, allowing Stones to head back to Haaland.  Not a great performance at all.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He makes runs but they don't use them, and even when they do, when's his last assist on a cross from an overlap? In four years he's had a couple.

I'm as much bothered by his way of saying "you do it" and making the safe, unconcerned pass 90% of the time. For Canada maybe he overplays but at least he carries his weight and more.

I agree and would say Davies deserves criticism for not being more assertive with the ball - but not for lacking in runs off the ball, or quality of service. Both of these areas of his game are fine. There's room to grow with the service, but I cannot complain where he's at in this regard being 22 years old. 

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've always felt he should be a right wing turning in so I'm not going to agree with anyone except his first coach at Whitecaps.

You've suggested this before. I wouldn't mind seeing it. Games against Panama and USA at BMO come to mind when thinking of Davies doing damage from the right. I am not convinced his touch is tight enough to excel in this role at Bayern, but maybe it just takes more reps higher up the field for him to clean his touch up.

It's actually between the lines where Davies lets us down by turning over the ball. That's the argument against him high up the field. On the right side though, cutting inside? That definitely intrigues me. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree and would say Davies deserves criticism for not being more assertive with the ball - but not for lacking in runs off the ball, or quality of service. Both of these areas of his game are fine. There's room to grow with the service, but I cannot complain where he's at in this regard being 22 years old. 

Tuchel is clearly asking him to play differently compared to his last 2 coaches and be more conservative, which  does not fit his natural attributes. Not surprising he's not as assertive on the ball. Not saying it's all Tuchel's fault but other than vs Dortmund, Bayern have not looked good since he took over.

23 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Davies for some strange reason being scapegoated alongside Upamecano?? Idiots think he should have somehow been on Silva on his goal?

That borders on a fair criticism. That was his man, Davies was taking the space (way) ahead of Silva because Bayern had possession. In defense of Davies Upamecano should never have lost the ball there, but Davies was hesitant to backtrack and because of that there was no way he would have recovered. Had he been more switched on and started running back right away he would have got there with his pace. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

That borders on a fair criticism. That was his man, Davies was taking the space (way) ahead of Silva because Bayern had possession. In defense of Davies Upamecano should never have lost the ball there, but Davies was hesitant to backtrack and because of that there was no way he would have recovered. Had he been more switched on and started running back right away he would have got there with his pace. 

If you looked at the play, he was up high as outside backs tend to do when a team plays out. Then, when the ball was lost, it was still 4 defenders against 3 attackers. 

They are very awkward playing out from the back, and comparing with Man City playing out quite expertly, it's a huge difference.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you looked at the play, he was up high as outside backs tend to do when a team plays out. Then, when the ball was lost, it was still 4 defenders against 3 attackers. 

They are very awkward playing out from the back, and comparing with Man City playing out quite expertly, it's a huge difference.

This part is important to stress. There was nothing wrong with the positioning from Davies. I just think the criticism he never tried hard enough to get back is valid. I personally don't blame him for that, since he must have been just as stunned as all of us to see the ball get turned over there, but he was indeed ball watching for a few seconds instead of sprinting back immediately. 

6 hours ago, clamlinguine said:

As usual, Bayern doesn't use Davies wide early to open up the box a bit. Then when he's tired out and they are failing, they send a few weak balls to the corner for him. Too little too late. He should be the first choice early in the games to open things up.

He should also have the right to fail with a mid covering for him. If he can't lose it in the attacking third because he has to be there to defend in his half?

As I say, I don't agree with how he's coached at the club. I've come to think that left wingback vs Belgium was good, or an attacking mid in some qualifiers. Even a right wing which he did some of his earliest matches at BM, imitating some Whitecaps matches. Oh, he doesn't have this or that skill? He doesn't at left back either. Six matches as a right wing he'd be getting it down.

He was poor yesterday.  Even on the opening goal, he switched off and failed to track Bernardo's run after the Portuguese MOTM played the ball inland to Rodri. After his booking, his defending became more passive and he probably should have been subbed sooner but even with that, his lack of compete with Stones on that far post ball leading to the third was the kind of play that leaves you sitting on the bench next match (or matches) in the eyes of a new gaffer looking to put his stamp on the club and send a message.  I hope not.

39 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

He was poor yesterday.  Even on the opening goal, he switched off and failed to track Bernardo's run after the Portuguese MOTM played the ball inland to Rodri. After his booking, his defending became more passive and he probably should have been subbed sooner but even with that, his lack of compete with Stones on that far post ball leading to the third was the kind of play that leaves you sitting on the bench next match (or matches) in the eyes of a new gaffer looking to put his stamp on the club and send a message.  I hope not.

The thing that bugged me yesterday was that he waited for the ball to get to him 3 times when he should have been going to it. I felt the center backs should have been hoofing the ball downfield instead of doggedly trying to tick tack toe it upfield when M City obviously had their ears pinned back. Considering the pressure the back was put under, Davies made many good plays and overall was ok in that regard.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He should also have the right to fail with a mid covering for him. If he can't lose it in the attacking third because he has to be there to defend in his half?

As I say, I don't agree with how he's coached at the club. I've come to think that left wingback vs Belgium was good, or an attacking mid in some qualifiers. Even a right wing which he did some of his earliest matches at BM, imitating some Whitecaps matches. Oh, he doesn't have this or that skill? He doesn't at left back either. Six matches as a right wing he'd be getting it down.

Agreed, I've never thought he should be a defender, but it has worked for most of his time at Bayern. Honestly, I hope he moves on. I feel like Lewandowski appreciated Phonzie, whereas the replacements are competing with him. They want to keep him down. I know that sounds far fetched, but I do believe it...lol.

While I agree with a lot of the comments, something to remember from last night.  

Man City are a world class team that were motivated: up against Tuchel, 2nd favourites by a bit to take the league etc.

Guardiola not only trains skilful players but get them to buy into working very hard.  I saw them work at a level, last night which you will rarely see in the Bundesliga when combined with skill they have. I think that showed through the Bayern defence.

Whether the last bit is a reason for Davies to move on, I don't know.  I think if we want him to develop into a pure attacking threat, he may need to drop down half a level and be the star of a lower level UEFA competition team and build with them.

14 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

While I agree with a lot of the comments, something to remember from last night.  

Man City are a world class team that were motivated: up against Tuchel, 2nd favourites by a bit to take the league etc.

Guardiola not only trains skilful players but get them to buy into working very hard.  I saw them work at a level, last night which you will rarely see in the Bundesliga when combined with skill they have. I think that showed through the Bayern defence.

Whether the last bit is a reason for Davies to move on, I don't know.  I think if we want him to develop into a pure attacking threat, he may need to drop down half a level and be the star of a lower level UEFA competition team and build with them.

Translation: Davies should move to West Ham 😁

On 4/11/2023 at 5:06 PM, Obinna said:

You've suggested this before. I wouldn't mind seeing it. Games against Panama and USA at BMO come to mind when thinking of Davies doing damage from the right. I am not convinced his touch is tight enough to excel in this role at Bayern, but maybe it just takes more reps higher up the field for him to clean his touch up.

It's actually between the lines where Davies lets us down by turning over the ball. That's the argument against him high up the field. On the right side though, cutting inside? That definitely intrigues me. 

Only problem is his shot from outside the box. He rarely hits the net when the opportunity arises. 

39 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I didn't see the match, but I also didn't see any reports that Sadio Mane punched Davies in the mouth after the match, which has to be good news in light of the reports that Mane did punch Sane after the match.

Serves him right with the amount of times he’s looked off Davies over the years. 

;)