The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Going balls-deep in attack against MC in Manchester may be part of it but he does seem to be a bit more reserved in the last two games than under the previous manager.   It will be disappointing from a Canadian perspective if Davies is turned into more of a traditional LB rather than the marauding attacker he was used as previously.   

16 minutes ago, Weng said:

Davies seems really hesitant in both defending and attacking.  I wonder if it’s a Tuchel directive or a lack of confidence.

I noticed that too. Perhaps he's trying not to overplay so that he retains his spot ahead of Cancelo, especially with the new boss. Eventually though he needs to show what he's famous for, which is the offensive side of the game. 

59 minutes ago, frmr said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this the first time Davies has been up against a Premier League side..?

edit: nevermind, he played a blinder against Chelsea.

Ah, I was just reminiscing about that. What an evening he had. I remember getting out of my chair cheering so hard when he made that wonder assist (little did we know that wouldn’t even be his best assist of that Champions League run).  

Firing their manager while getting to the QFs of the cup and champions league while battling it out with Dortmund for first place in the league was the stupidest decision in ive seen in a long time. 

EDIT: Davies should have made an effort on that cross. Allowed City to put the header back across on a plate for Haaland. 

Edited by king1010

5 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Firing their manager while getting to the QFs of the cup and champions league while battling it out with Dortmund for first place in the league was the stupidest decision in ive seen in a long time. 

EDIT: Davies should have made an effort on that cross. Allowed City to put the header back across on a plate for Haaland. 

You're not allowed to say that on this board, the kids get upset.

He's never played like a proper attacking back, or very rarely, at Bayern. Poor coaching mostly. Overlaps not used. Few assists and rare goals. He's had a longish series of left wings blocking his lane, ever since Perisic.

I'm not saying we're a better team, but he'd be used properly at Barça at least. And many other top teams. 

He doesn't even seem to care he's underused and has near rookie status still.

7 minutes ago, king1010 said:

He seemed to be spared from the Bayern criticism by the commentators, but to me he was a passenger for most of the match - and that play exemplified it. He wasn't the worst on the field, but like his teammates he didn't seem up for it today. 

Bayern have a lot of excellent players, but don't have that one dominant player, like a Lewandowski, a Haaland, a Messi or an Mbappe. I feel like they lose a psychological edge because of that, especially against a team like Man City. 

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's never played like a proper attacking back, or very rarely, at Bayern. Poor coaching mostly. Overlaps not used. Few assists and rare goals. He's had a longish series of left wings blocking his lane, ever since Perisic.

I'm not saying we're a better team, but he'd be used properly at Barça at least. And many other top teams. 

He doesn't even seem to care he's underused and has near rookie status still.

He made a lot of overlapping runs today. Many times, the ball didn't come but making that run repeatedly shifted the defense. Bayern just chose to play inside most of the line. He makes the same runs with Canada as well. I find it difficult to see the accuracy in what you are saying. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

I didn’t watch the game, how bad was he?

What’s the deal with Upamecano? So far in 2023, red card in the 9th minute of a game Bayern loses, OG in another, looks like he sucked hard in this one too. Seems like Bayern would be in a much better place if they left him in Munich?

He was just listless, much of the team was similar. I only liked Kimmich frankly.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

I didn’t watch the game, how bad was he?

What’s the deal with Upamecano? So far in 2023, red card in the 9th minute of a game Bayern loses, OG in another, looks like he sucked hard in this one too. Seems like Bayern would be in a much better place if they left him in Munich?

He's always been shaky and overrated in my opinion. He had the same lapses in concentration with Red Bull Leipzig and France. Despite that he was a good player for a club like Red Bull, but at the highest levels he always strikes me as being the weak link - be it France or Bayern. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He made a lot of overlapping runs today. Many times, the ball didn't come but making that run repeatedly shifted the defense. Bayern just chose to play inside most of the line. He makes the same runs with Canada as well. I find it difficult to see the accuracy in what you are saying. 

He makes runs but they don't use them, and even when they do, when's his last assist on a cross from an overlap? In four years he's had a couple.

I'm as much bothered by his way of saying "you do it" and making the safe, unconcerned pass 90% of the time. For Canada maybe he overplays but at least he carries his weight and more.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist