The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

My spouse is a Freiburg supporter; even she says it’s a modest club.  She bought me dinner to celebrate.  

Back in the late-90s, when ICQ was still a thing, I used to regularly chat with a lovely German girl from Freiburg. Her and her dad were season ticket holders. They were a yo-yo club back then, but seem to have stabilised in the first Bundesliga over the last decade.

14 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Back in the late-90s, when ICQ was still a thing, I used to regularly chat with a lovely German girl from Freiburg. Her and her dad were season ticket holders. They were a yo-yo club back then, but seem to have stabilised in the first Bundesliga over the last decade.

Are you sure this wasn't Jambo's wife?

Regardless of the size of Freiburg this us the second time this season a team we watch regularly was having a fairly successful season, changed their coaches and then abruptly dropped out of a competition. First Brugge, qualified for knockout rounds of the Champions league and then became a train wreck. Now Bayern losing in the cup. It's 1 game so anything can happen, let's hope they continue past man city.

Tuchel seems to have changed formation deploying wingers in their traditional wide positions as opposed to attacking centrally under JN. 1 game but Pavard & Cancelo were playing more like FBs vs WBs. There's no question that Davies is better as a WB vs FB or has the green light to attack the left flank where his speed and 1v1 skills are better deployed. Hope this doesn't mean that Davies will continue to be 2nd choice.

41 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Tuchel seems to have changed formation deploying wingers in their traditional wide positions as opposed to attacking centrally under JN. 1 game but Pavard & Cancelo were playing more like FBs vs WBs. There's no question that Davies is better as a WB vs FB or has the green light to attack the left flank where his speed and 1v1 skills are better deployed. Hope this doesn't mean that Davies will continue to be 2nd choice.

Davies wasteful and second choice eh? You wish. Just getting well deserved rest. if you're right, the new boss is nuts.

Phonzy was very positive in the first half going forward. Was really demanding for the ball. Near the end of the first half, appeared to fall asleep which almost led to a Freiburg goal (player hit the post).

I think he played an okay match overall. A few sloppy plays but so did most of the Bayern players (Musiala, Cancelo, Muller and especially Sane). 

Bayern with a big victory to remain at the top of table. In my opinion, Phonzy did well enough to solidify his place under the new Tuchel era. 

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

How was that handball not a penalty?

I agreed with the call. It was not intentional and what would be a natural arm position when you're on the ground? A weird incident like that shouldn't result in a gifted goal. A stupid part of the game when it is.

Bayern is my favourite of those remaining for obvious reasons.

Man City have some players that love a dive (I'm looking at you Jack) but I don't hate them.  Madrid should destroy the re-Fat-Franked Chelsea.  

We need some Canadians in Serie A so I care and know a decent amount about their teams again. That said, it hasn't really helped me with the Portuguese teams (not easy to find on TV here, to be fair)