The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

35 minutes ago, VinceA said:

As a LB, which is disappointing as we were all hyped for regular minutes at LWB. Seems like he'll only get the WB reps with Canada.

Tuchel used both 4 and 3 at the back when I saw him regularly at Chelsea, though the majority was the latter.  Maybe he does not think he has another good CB for this game. 

Despite what we saw at West Ham, Seb Haller can exploit a smaller player in that position. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

57 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

In fairness, even as a LB for BM, he is often so far up the field in attack that there is little difference between the positions.  He uses his pace to cover so much ground he plays both ends of the pitch effectively.  

Unless the new coach uses him in an entirely different way, I am not worried about his role at LB dulling his attacking instincts.  

Crazy to think this is his fourth coach in just over 4 years with the team. The amount of footballing knowledge he's been exposed to is simply immense. 

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

He seems to be making a lot of little mistakes so far.  Nothing fatal obviously at 3-0, but a new coach is probably going to notice the giveaways, and mispasses. 

yea.. he's definitely not sharp so far.. 

2 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Third game in 7/8 days, massive amounts of travel...just saying.

I was thinking the same thing. Tough to stay sharp mentally and physically coming into this match. There has been a lot of sloppy play in this match from a number of players, and the international break has likely played its part for many. 

On 3/30/2023 at 5:26 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry he's the typical douche who started insulting me personally, when I hadn't mentioned him at all, and reducing my views to his own narrow brain scope.

Then you call him out and he whines like a bitch. 

I'd never have gone at him if he hadn't tried to denigrate my opinion based on some recent Bayern Barça games. Barça lost a final to AC Milan, and I still like them. I'm a Liverpool fan.  We've never lost a final to a German team iirc.  Just because he has no opinion he's able to defend doesn't mean the rest are as vacuous and infantile. I've been watching Barça at Camp Nou since 1987, Lineker et al, my opinion was formed decades ago. I've been a Moenchengladbach fan since the 70s, since Soccer Made in Germany. I like Dortmund as a BM antidote, Marseille as a PSG antidote, really hate la Juve, I'm into counter hegemonies I guess.

That is a perfectly normal set of idiosyncratic fan preferences, if you get upset about that you probably should consider a move to North Korea.

Yeah, a response very much as expected.  Which is fine.

Just hoping for a day where UT rises (a bit) above it all, and delivers the pure footie and avoids (1) the hyperbole (2) the cynicism.

I think they're very capable of sooo much more education AND entertainment for the board members.

P.S. Also very happy to help push the no longer-issue CSA Player dispute topic off page 1.  CANMNT and CANWNT are headed for great things, with the help of their CSA association!

Edited by eramosat

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Davies on the bench the entire match as BM knocked out of the German Cup vs. modest Freiburg, who get a last minute penalty, and put it in, 1-2. So this was played in Munich as well.

Cancelo was in Phonzie's spot the whole match, no idea how he did.

Heard Cancelo played well but supporters wanted to see Davies at LB, Cancelo at RB, Pavard dropped. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Anyone watch the end?  Was following the relegation battle in the Premier League but see a bunch of yellows around the penalty time. 

Musiala called for a clear handball right at the end of extra time. The yellows were Bayern players arguing with the ref. Bayern were  the better team but couldn't  convert their many chances. Freiburg scored a Golazo to even it 1-1. Cancelo played well. His passing is very good and Davies was wasteful in the last game. Still a bit harsh by Tuchel for him not to see the field as all the regular Bayern players/subs got on. Davies was the only one left out.