The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

2 hours ago, frmr said:

Well apparently that's the calculus that "2 seconds of algebra" on the subject will result in. Simples.

Everyone on the Bayern fansites are still baffled by the move.  In the meantime, Bayern has a Klassiker match with Dortmund in one week for top spot in the league, a DFB Cup match 3 days after that, and then a CL match against City 4 days after that - and right now almost the entire team is away on international break.  I don't know how quickly Tuchel can do his algebra, but that's a pretty tough set of pop quizzes right there...  

8 hours ago, frmr said:

It’s not like he was an unpaid intern on probation at his first job. He signed a five year contract, basically unheard of in management and was supposed to be their long-time legendary manager in the making. Then gets let go after smashing PSG in the CL and still in the title race in the league. You say perhaps it wasn’t performance related and then say that it may because he was focusing more on CL than the league? Do you really think that’s reason to fire someone who was supposed to be a future legend? That reason doesn’t even make sense. The whole football world was completely shocked by this, not just this board, and your justification for it is flippant at best.

You are being extremely logical and the arguments are impeccable, but then you get these douches on the board taunting you.

There are a lot of simplistic views of football on this board, and then you see how these same guys are afraid to have an opinion or respect someone who has one. This firing was very poor; firing Ranieri at Leicester was pretty bad too, no loyalty to a guy who could do that for a team like that, but at least they were threatened with relegation. Not here, there was no reason to panic, and anyways, they are performing a purge--they canned the goalkeeper coach Neuer relied on, now they dumped the entire staff. 

I personally don't like Bayern and haven't for decades, they are amongst a few teams I don't like (Real Madrid, la Juve, the big London clubs), but people want to make like a totally mainstream opinion about how classless that firing was is because I'm a Barça fan, as if club allegiance was simplistic, or petty. No, that was objectively a shitty thing to do, and worse: you get these former players like Kahn who have done nothing since retiring from play, can't coach, are just vultures sitting on their perches like gargoyles waiting to take shots at the guys busting their butts. It's disgraceful, but I won't say I hope it hurts them, because even liking Nagelsmann and wanting the best for Alphonso, I have always wished for the worse for BM.

13 hours ago, costarg said:

I'm kinda surprised to read peoples take on this, I don't think it's that shocking or dramatic.  Probably just comes down to different philosophy and direction.  Perhaps Julian was more focused on CL while the office wants the league first and foremost.  Possibly not even performance related.  I mean Bayern isn't exactly Kim Jong-Un, they've shown balance and well calculated decisions and planning.  Coaches and players come and go, today more than ever and for slightest of reasons.    

Just imagine for a moment. The Montreal Canadiens, have won 10 straight Stanley Cups. Then during their bid for an 11th, fall behind 2 games to 1 in the first round of the playoffs and fire their coach. It's not totally apples to apples since there is no Champions League for NHL teams, and the playoffs are more random than a Bundesliga season, but still. They've won 10 straight championships, and fall 1 point behind with lots of time to make it up. That's a high bar for firing someone. If the new guy loses that first game maybe he should be fired too.

From reading and playing a little catch up today, it looks like a lot of factors behind the scenes played a part with Nagelsmann.  The thing with Neuer's coach/friend, Nagelsmann leaving his wife and dating the Bild reporter and the fact that Tuchel was available and probably wouldn't be soon. 

That all said, getting to the area of the pitch that we find most relevant - I personally don't think people like Upamecano and De Ligt have developed especially well under him.

Davies has looked better for Bayern than Canada to be fair, but I am not adverse to seeing what Tuchel can do with him, given the lack of what I have seen with others under Nagelsmann.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford
De Ligt got auto corrected to Delight

11 hours ago, Kent said:

Just imagine for a moment. The Montreal Canadiens, have won 10 straight Stanley Cups. Then during their bid for an 11th, fall behind 2 games to 1 in the first round of the playoffs and fire their coach. It's not totally apples to apples since there is no Champions League for NHL teams, and the playoffs are more random than a Bundesliga season, but still. They've won 10 straight championships, and fall 1 point behind with lots of time to make it up. That's a high bar for firing someone. If the new guy loses that first game maybe he should be fired too.

We're still focusing on performance, this clearly isn't performance based.  Something obviously happened between him and the higher ups.  Could be personal, philisophical, who knows.... but still not that surprising.

2- Its not like your Canadiens example, because the 10 championships weren't won with the coach in question, so there isn't a 10year established history and relationship.  In the end, some relationships fail, be it professional or romantic.  No one wants it to, but it happens.  Nothing surprising there.

Davies on twitch describing his Seinfeld life:

It's a bit worrying not having something to do, especially when all your friends have jobs," explained the Canadian of Ghanaian origin. "Life as a professional footballer is great to relax and enjoy. But after training, there's nothing to do."

" Since I don't have a family and my girlfriend doesn't live with me, I'm alone. I probably have like five friends. I'm a popular loser ."

https://www.marca.com/futbol/bundesliga/2023/03/26/641ff01be2704e66af8b45cd.html

5 hours ago, costarg said:

We're still focusing on performance, this clearly isn't performance based.  Something obviously happened between him and the higher ups.  Could be personal, philisophical, who knows.... but still not that surprising.

I agree.... AND it seems that the performances did not meet the expectations to overlook the conflict:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65066056

18 hours ago, red card said:

It's a bit worrying not having something to do, especially when all your friends have jobs," explained the Canadian of Ghanaian origin. "Life as a professional footballer is great to relax and enjoy. But after training, there's nothing to do."

" Since I don't have a family and my girlfriend doesn't live with me, I'm alone. I probably have like five friends. I'm a popular loser ."

https://www.marca.com/futbol/bundesliga/2023/03/26/641ff01be2704e66af8b45cd.html

This is all over the place this morning. See almost 200 comments on Spanish Marca as well.

On 3/26/2023 at 12:48 AM, Bison44 said:

Like Bowman being forced out after winning 4 stanley cups in a row??  

I didn't realize this actually happened. Crazy! But yeah, didn't exactly work out great for Montreal.

Tried finding the twitch clip where he says this stuff, and got into a YouTube hole- he was gaming with Speed a few days ago- that's the guy that accidentally leaked his number on stream, and I think AD had to switch numbers after because it made his phone unusable. For such a loser, that's quite level of kindness and forgiveness to play games with him again!

On 3/25/2023 at 7:32 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are being extremely logical and the arguments are impeccable, but then you get these douches on the board taunting you.

There are a lot of simplistic views of football on this board, and then you see how these same guys are afraid to have an opinion or respect someone who has one. This firing was very poor; firing Ranieri at Leicester was pretty bad too, no loyalty to a guy who could do that for a team like that, but at least they were threatened with relegation. Not here, there was no reason to panic, and anyways, they are performing a purge--they canned the goalkeeper coach Neuer relied on, now they dumped the entire staff. 

I personally don't like Bayern and haven't for decades, they are amongst a few teams I don't like (Real Madrid, la Juve, the big London clubs), but people want to make like a totally mainstream opinion about how classless that firing was is because I'm a Barça fan, as if club allegiance was simplistic, or petty. No, that was objectively a shitty thing to do, and worse: you get these former players like Kahn who have done nothing since retiring from play, can't coach, are just vultures sitting on their perches like gargoyles waiting to take shots at the guys busting their butts. It's disgraceful, but I won't say I hope it hurts them, because even liking Nagelsmann and wanting the best for Alphonso, I have always wished for the worse for BM.

You want people to respect your opinion? Stop calling other peoples' clubs disgusting. I can't stand Barcelona but have never said a bad word about them. I read your posts in most threads that I follow and am always open-minded about them. I've actually even stuck up for you a few times when people have piled on for one reason or another. I appreciate your input in regards to LaLiga because you obviously are well versed in the subject...I am not. You don't even know what my feeling is on the Nagelsmann firing and yet deem it simplistic. Well let me enlighten you. I also thought the timing of it was very poor. I wasn't worried about not winning the title and as for the Champions League I thought we were one of the favorites to win it...especially after discarding PSG so easily. But guess what...I am not privy to the inner workings of one of the top clubs in world football and neither are you. Don't tell me about BM not having any loyalty when your club is apparently loyal to the art of bribery. 

So you don't like Kahn because he is a former player of the club? What about Karl Heinz Rummenigge or Franz Beckenbauer? Are they also just vultures and gargoyles ? Your obvious dislike of the club clouds your judgement to such an extent that it's laughable. Want to know what I think about Barcelona management? Let me tell you...Absolutely nothing. I don't give them a nanosecond of thought because I couldn't give a shit. They don't affect me in any way except when I see them in their private boxes on tv looking like a deer in headlights after Bayern has thumped them once again.

In summary...the only thing disgraceful and/or simplistic on here is you and your opinions. Stand in front of a mirror...you'll see it.

This will be my last response to you on the subject.

That girlfriend story, gotta love the quality of journalism.

Another story yesterday was that he had an argument with Mane after the PSG win then, instead of defending why he hardly played him, he started him the next matches to appease him and lost locker room respect 

They are all lame excuses and never enough to justify the firing. The only story that makes any sense is that they were already thinking about Tuchel for a while and felt they needed to act quickly as end of season he'd have far more suitors. Paying off Nagelsmann a few seasons, then giving Tuchel a big offer, I read the compensation to JN was close to 25 million, 8 for each of 3 years on the contract, and that TT will make 20 million to June 2025.

On 3/27/2023 at 5:59 PM, longlugan said:

You want people to respect your opinion? Stop calling other peoples' clubs disgusting. I can't stand Barcelona but have never said a bad word about them. I read your posts in most threads that I follow and am always open-minded about them. I've actually even stuck up for you a few times when people have piled on for one reason or another. I appreciate your input in regards to LaLiga because you obviously are well versed in the subject...I am not. You don't even know what my feeling is on the Nagelsmann firing and yet deem it simplistic. Well let me enlighten you. I also thought the timing of it was very poor. I wasn't worried about not winning the title and as for the Champions League I thought we were one of the favorites to win it...especially after discarding PSG so easily. But guess what...I am not privy to the inner workings of one of the top clubs in world football and neither are you. Don't tell me about BM not having any loyalty when your club is apparently loyal to the art of bribery. 

So you don't like Kahn because he is a former player of the club? What about Karl Heinz Rummenigge or Franz Beckenbauer? Are they also just vultures and gargoyles ? Your obvious dislike of the club clouds your judgement to such an extent that it's laughable. Want to know what I think about Barcelona management? Let me tell you...Absolutely nothing. I don't give them a nanosecond of thought because I couldn't give a shit. They don't affect me in any way except when I see them in their private boxes on tv looking like a deer in headlights after Bayern has thumped them once again.

In summary...the only thing disgraceful and/or simplistic on here is you and your opinions. Stand in front of a mirror...you'll see it.

This will be my last response to you on the subject.

well.  if an apology is not forthcoming, I would be (a bit) surprised.

UT is certainly outspoken, to a massive degree.  And they know that, and seek out the satisfaction that comes from it.   But also very knowledgeable, and capable of reflection, and sometimes remorse.  And definitely supportive of these forums at large, which is much more than can be said of many more posters who raise as much ire as they do.

who knows.

Edited by eramosat

1 hour ago, eramosat said:

well.  if an apology is not forthcoming, I would be (a bit) surprised.

UT is certainly outspoken, to a massive degree.  And they know that, and seek out the satisfaction that comes from it.   But also very knowledgeable, and capable of reflection, and sometimes remorse.  And definitely supportive of these forums at large, which is much more than can be said of many more posters who raise as much ire as they do.

who knows.

Sorry he's the typical douche who started insulting me personally, when I hadn't mentioned him at all, and reducing my views to his own narrow brain scope.

Then you call him out and he whines like a bitch. 

I'd never have gone at him if he hadn't tried to denigrate my opinion based on some recent Bayern Barça games. Barça lost a final to AC Milan, and I still like them. I'm a Liverpool fan.  We've never lost a final to a German team iirc.  Just because he has no opinion he's able to defend doesn't mean the rest are as vacuous and infantile. I've been watching Barça at Camp Nou since 1987, Lineker et al, my opinion was formed decades ago. I've been a Moenchengladbach fan since the 70s, since Soccer Made in Germany. I like Dortmund as a BM antidote, Marseille as a PSG antidote, really hate la Juve, I'm into counter hegemonies I guess.

That is a perfectly normal set of idiosyncratic fan preferences, if you get upset about that you probably should consider a move to North Korea.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 3/26/2023 at 2:00 PM, red card said:

Certified Loner Boy.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:26 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've been a Moenchengladbach fan since the 70s, since Soccer Made in Germany. I like Dortmund as a BM antidote, Marseille as a PSG antidote, really hate la Juve, I'm into counter hegemonies I guess.

That is a perfectly normal set of idiosyncratic fan preferences, if you get upset about that you probably should consider a move to North Korea.

A bit deviated from your point, but still relevant.....

I never quite understood "hating" a team.  I can understand disliking parts of a team, but not quite as a whole.  Ship of Thesueus being a suitable example, if said team changes their starting 11 over the span of 5-6 years, coach, president and gets sold to another owner, is the team really the same team ?  Sure it plays in the same stadium and has the same fans, but the character, style and personality of the team is very different.  

On the other hand, there are a couple of players that I truely dislike, Neymar in particular.  I don't hate him, but i feel he's just negative for the game, I believe any team he played on would be better without him including Brazil and PSG.  Sure he's ridiculously talented, but it takes more than the most talented 11 to win.  For every positive action he brings, I'm sure there is a player on the team who is embarrased to be on the same side as the bullshit he brings.  He will never win a trophy as the "leader" of a team.  Next would be Suarez and Diego Costa, but in their cases I still loved watching them even if i wasn't rooting for them.  Sure they brought a tonne of drama and crap along with them, but it was based on passion not narcissism which is how Neymar strikes me.

53 minutes ago, costarg said:

A bit deviated from your point, but still relevant.....

I never quite understood "hating" a team.  I can understand disliking parts of a team, but not quite as a whole.  Ship of Thesueus being a suitable example, if said team changes their starting 11 over the span of 5-6 years, coach, president and gets sold to another owner, is the team really the same team ?  Sure it plays in the same stadium and has the same fans, but the character, style and personality of the team is very different.  

On the other hand, there are a couple of players that I truely dislike, Neymar in particular.  I don't hate him, but i feel he's just negative for the game, I believe any team he played on would be better without him including Brazil and PSG.  Sure he's ridiculously talented, but it takes more than the most talented 11 to win.  For every positive action he brings, I'm sure there is a player on the team who is embarrased to be on the same side as the bullshit he brings.  He will never win a trophy as the "leader" of a team.  Next would be Suarez and Diego Costa, but in their cases I still loved watching them even if i wasn't rooting for them.  Sure they brought a tonne of drama and crap along with them, but it was based on passion not narcissism which is how Neymar strikes me.

Opposite for me.

I hate watching players who dive and roll around and playact, for instance.  It is the opposite of why I watch football.  But I can't really hate the player, I don't know him.

I do hate some clubs as a whole. Maybe I can justify it in that they are not human beings.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Opposite for me.

I hate watching players who dive and roll around and playact, for instance.  It is the opposite of why I watch football.  But I can't really hate the player, I don't know him.

I do hate some clubs as a whole. Maybe I can justify it in that they are not human beings.

Ya, goes without saying diving and rolling are the main reasons i dislike Neymar, but there are 5-6 other things i can throw on that list too.

16 minutes ago, VinceA said:

As a LB, which is disappointing as we were all hyped for regular minutes at LWB. Seems like he'll only get the WB reps with Canada.

In fairness, even as a LB for BM, he is often so far up the field in attack that there is little difference between the positions.  He uses his pace to cover so much ground he plays both ends of the pitch effectively.  

Unless the new coach uses him in an entirely different way, I am not worried about his role at LB dulling his attacking instincts.