The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Bayern is a disgusting team. First day they're not leading the league in like 10 years and this. Alive in Champions and willing to disrupt their own stability allowing such a rumour.

It'd be better for them to have more competition in B1 but they're big headed and have poor loyalty. They're the ones who kill off their own team without signing replacements, they are cheap about renewing those they supposedly value. Their own hegemony hurts them too, apart from being bad for the national team, where Bayern stars look consistently poor.

This is why even Phonzie will soon enough ask to move on to a club a bit more authentic in management and football terms, and in a better league.

Well if we're gonna let ourselves get all personal about it.....  if anything, I feel Bayern is a lot like Barca, only - probably - less corupt.  Other difference is Barca has Real around to keep them kinda honest and balanced.  Remove Real and Barca is even less likable.

Edited by costarg

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

TT has been known to bench young North American players for no apparent reason (think there's a book about that out there).

Maybe there is something to this but, really, Pulisic and Davies aren't comparable in many ways. I think/hope AD will be okay.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Am I out to lunch or did Bayern lose Lewandowski and basically not replace him? And they want the same level of success? Hello or no?

???

Pretty hard to replace arguably the best striker in the world at the time. Not sure if Benzema was available.

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Am I out to lunch or did Bayern lose Lewandowski and basically not replace him? And they want the same level of success? Hello or no?

???

My understanding was that they saw direct replacement as virtually impossible so they went with a tactical shift where there is a more fluid interchange of players/positions. I believe Nagelsmann had changed his ideal playing style last year due to having Lewandowski, so when Lewi was sold to Barca, Nagelsmann was able to implement this new playing style which he preferred. 

Edited by maccaliam

11 hours ago, longlugan said:

Fan boy? 🤣🤣🤣 Unlike you I actually have a reason for following my team...I was born and raised in Munich and lived within view of their home stadium growing up. You just picked some team because they had a history that you wanted to adopt in your sad lonely life.

We haven't destroyed you in a final because your team usually doesn't make it that far...mostly because we play you before then. Check the head to head stats dumbass.

There's nothing wrong with not liking a club...there's many I don't like either. But to call one disgusting because they make you cry like the little bitch you are on a regular basis...we'll that's on you buttercup.

Why don't you grow up you fucktard.

ron burgundy GIF

10 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

???

Agreed. They lose Lewa, they have their starting keeper go down injured, they have a fairly typical dip after Qatar (Real Madrid also suffered, Modric has taken a few months to get back in form, you could argue PSG too). They brought in cover for Hernández in Cancelo, but he is not clicking. They are trying out younger players, but not giving them time to transition in. Then they supposedly are in a competitive top 4 league, but can't accept the slightest dip in form even after taking out PSG.

It's a trashy move to fire Nagelsman, but I am not alone in thinking this, many Bayern fans do too; and apparently a few players. If you play for a club that has so little loyalty, you are going to think you could be next, no player has any incentive to think he will be valued down the line. Which is why I think Davies will be out sooner rather than later, you can't ask players to be loyal when your front office is so mercenary.

11 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

???

They replaced him with Tel and to a lesser degree mane. Of course, Tel is viewed as the long term heir and mane, chupo etc are the stop gaps until Tel becomes a starter. 

But this is the evolution of squad building. Bayern should still be expecting the same level of success. Yes, they are slightly weaker in the striker position but the squad is probably stronger than last year. 

They have replaced lewandowski with goals, rather than with another player. The squad is still scoring at a similar rate, except now theirs less reliance on one player. I would argue that makes the squad stronger as lewandowski coulf one injury, bad game, or being marked out of a game would really 

De ligt is a massive upgrade on Sule.
Musiala has continued improving
Mane, Tel, Gravenberch, Blind, Cancelo, Mazroui all provide greater squad depth. 

Sure, it hurts to lose the best #9 in the world but all teams transition through players and bayerns squad is 100% capable of running away with the league. 

I don't think Nagelsman gets fired if they dont win the champions league. I think this is because he may lose the bundesliga which would be absurd when you look at their squad. 

Edited by Bigandy

Nagelsmann was going to get fired if they didn’t take 3 points from Dortmund next weekend, so might as well get the new boss a week to prep for the biggest league match they’ve played in a very long time and not put the entire dressing room on edge right before the season gets serious. The thing I find weird is that you’re deep in champions league and you hire the guy who was sacked after Chelsea lost to Dinano Zagreb. It’s not like his coaching won any points from Man City when he was at Chelsea earlier this year either. 

Yeah I'm no Bayern hater by any means, I basically feel nothing towards them, however this is a strange firing. It seems needlessly ruthless and political from the outside. Of course nobody has the whole picture so any judgement passed from us is based on incomplete information. If they have actual sporting reasons then this is a truly ruthless decision, since their results have spoken for themselves, and you have to just be in awe at the cold German machine. If there are political reasons for this decision, then it becomes a lot more unsavoury and could potentially damage their reputation with potential managers/players.

41 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They've officially announced it in the same communication as they announce Tuchel in. 

No thank you for your services.

No best of luck in any new endeavour.

No you will always be welcome here with us. 

I guess for Bayern, "mensch" is not a German word.

Dont confuse "tweet" with the press release

Along with Nagelsmann, assistant coaches Dino Toppmöller, Benjamin Glück and Xaver Zembrod have also been released.

Oliver Kahn: “When we signed Julian Nagelsmann for FC Bayern in the summer of 2021, we were convinced we would work with him on a long-term basis - and that was the goal of all of us right up to the end. Julian shares our aspiration to play successful and attractive football. But now we have come to the conclusion that the quality in our squad - despite the Bundesliga title last year - has come to the fore less and less often. After the World Cup we have played less successfully and less attractively. The big fluctuations in performance have cast doubt on our goals for this season, but also our goals for the future. That is why we have acted now. Personally and on behalf of FC Bayern, I would like to thank Julian and his coaching team, and wish everyone the best of luck for the future.”

Hasan Salihamidžić: “This has been the most difficult decision in my time as board member for sport at Bayern Munich. I have had an open, trusting, friendly relationship with Julian from day one. I regret the parting of the ways with Julian. But after a thorough analysis of the sporting development of our team, especially since January and with the experience of the second half of the previous season, we have now decided to release him. I am very grateful to Julian for what he has done for FC Bayern and I wish him all the best.”

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. There was like a 10ish minute profile on Davies on CBC's The National earlier this week. I think it was mostly (or maybe entirely but with a couple snapshots from the World Cup thrown in) a conversation from before the World Cup, but it was good to see so much air time dedicated to him. It was played to go along with the CONCACAF player of the year nomination. I can't remember now if they even mentioned that Jonathan David and Jessie Fleming are also up for the award (Fleming obviously for the women's award). I DO however remember that they unfortunately didn't mention that Canada has a couple games coming up.

8 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

Dont confuse "tweet" with the press release

Along with Nagelsmann, assistant coaches Dino Toppmöller, Benjamin Glück and Xaver Zembrod have also been released.

Oliver Kahn: “When we signed Julian Nagelsmann for FC Bayern in the summer of 2021, we were convinced we would work with him on a long-term basis - and that was the goal of all of us right up to the end. Julian shares our aspiration to play successful and attractive football. But now we have come to the conclusion that the quality in our squad - despite the Bundesliga title last year - has come to the fore less and less often. After the World Cup we have played less successfully and less attractively. The big fluctuations in performance have cast doubt on our goals for this season, but also our goals for the future. That is why we have acted now. Personally and on behalf of FC Bayern, I would like to thank Julian and his coaching team, and wish everyone the best of luck for the future.”

Hasan Salihamidžić: “This has been the most difficult decision in my time as board member for sport at Bayern Munich. I have had an open, trusting, friendly relationship with Julian from day one. I regret the parting of the ways with Julian. But after a thorough analysis of the sporting development of our team, especially since January and with the experience of the second half of the previous season, we have now decided to release him. I am very grateful to Julian for what he has done for FC Bayern and I wish him all the best.”

I was listening live: Radio Marca interrupted their report on the national team and reported the firing. And they too slammed Bayern for the initial statement, putting it down to some sort of German coolness. 

BM got hammered for being so lacking in elegance and then, only then, their press department helped Halimidzic and Kahn put out their canned remarks.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. There was like a 10ish minute profile on Davies on CBC's The National earlier this week. I think it was mostly (or maybe entirely but with a couple snapshots from the World Cup thrown in) a conversation from before the World Cup, but it was good to see so much air time dedicated to him. It was played to go along with the CONCACAF player of the year nomination. I can't remember now if they even mentioned that Jonathan David and Jessie Fleming are also up for the award (Fleming obviously for the women's award). I DO however remember that they unfortunately didn't mention that Canada has a couple games coming up.

I'm kinda surprised to read peoples take on this, I don't think it's that shocking or dramatic.  Probably just comes down to different philosophy and direction.  Perhaps Julian was more focused on CL while the office wants the league first and foremost.  Possibly not even performance related.  I mean Bayern isn't exactly Kim Jong-Un, they've shown balance and well calculated decisions and planning.  Coaches and players come and go, today more than ever and for slightest of reasons.    

30 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'm kinda surprised to read peoples take on this, I don't think it's that shocking or dramatic.  Probably just comes down to different philosophy and direction.  Perhaps Julian was more focused on CL while the office wants the league first and foremost.  Possibly not even performance related.  I mean Bayern isn't exactly Kim Jong-Un, they've shown balance and well calculated decisions and planning.  Coaches and players come and go, today more than ever and for slightest of reasons.    

It’s not like he was an unpaid intern on probation at his first job. He signed a five year contract, basically unheard of in management and was supposed to be their long-time legendary manager in the making. Then gets let go after smashing PSG in the CL and still in the title race in the league. You say perhaps it wasn’t performance related and then say that it may because he was focusing more on CL than the league? Do you really think that’s reason to fire someone who was supposed to be a future legend? That reason doesn’t even make sense. The whole football world was completely shocked by this, not just this board, and your justification for it is flippant at best.

1 hour ago, frmr said:

It’s not like he was an unpaid intern on probation at his first job. He signed a five year contract, basically unheard of in management and was supposed to be their long-time legendary manager in the making. Then gets let go after smashing PSG in the CL and still in the title race in the league. You say perhaps it wasn’t performance related and then say that it may because he was focusing more on CL than the league? Do you really think that’s reason to fire someone who was supposed to be a future legend? That reason doesn’t even make sense. The whole football world was completely shocked by this, not just this board, and your justification for it is flippant at best.

Reading your statement makes me believe in mine even more. 

So how would you explain it?  Like you said, their performance isn't bad, he was expected to be there long term.  Sooo after 2 seconds of algebra, what are we left with? They obviously didn't get along as well as all parties hoped and decided to part ways.  Perhaps Tuchel was too tempting to someone at Bayern?  We see this in teams and relationships all the time.  No one expects them to fail, but they do.   

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Reading your statement makes me believe in mine even more. 

So how would you explain it?  Like you said, their performance isn't bad, he was expected to be there long term.  Sooo after 2 seconds of algebra, what are we left with? They obviously didn't get along as well as all parties hoped and decided to part ways.  Perhaps Tuchel was too tempting to someone at Bayern?  We see this in teams and relationships all the time.  No one expects them to fail, but they do.   

They didn’t get along. Okay, that explains it then. 

Edited by frmr