The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

25 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Don't know about you guys but I'm hoping Herdman is done with free-role Davies. He's a lefty who should be primarily doing his thing on the left. 

It's funny because the role he's been trying Davies in is exactly where David should play in my view. David has the close control and instincts "in the pocket" that Davies doesn't have.

Watching Davies play centrally is like David playing out wide: Sure he can do it, but it's not the best place for him.  

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Don't know about you guys but I'm hoping Herdman is done with free-role Davies. He's a lefty who should be primarily doing his thing on the left. 

Yup, if Vinicius Jnr and even Kylian M can play and stay wide left....

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Yup, if Vinicius Jnr and even Kylian M can play and stay wide left....

To be fair, Phonzie has also had some good moments playing on the right as an inverted winger (e.g. Panama).  But there's zero doubt he's a winger, not a striker or attacking midfielder.

58 minutes ago, narduch said:

Might get a new manager 

Bayern is a disgusting team. First day they're not leading the league in like 10 years and this. Alive in Champions and willing to disrupt their own stability allowing such a rumour.

It'd be better for them to have more competition in B1 but they're big headed and have poor loyalty. They're the ones who kill off their own team without signing replacements, they are cheap about renewing those they supposedly value. Their own hegemony hurts them too, apart from being bad for the national team, where Bayern stars look consistently poor.

This is why even Phonzie will soon enough ask to move on to a club a bit more authentic in management and football terms, and in a better league.

53 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Bayern is a disgusting team. First day they're not leading the league in like 10 years and this. Alive in Champions and willing to disrupt their own stability allowing such a rumour.

It'd be better for them to have more competition in B1 but they're big headed and have poor loyalty. They're the ones who kill off their own team without signing replacements, they are cheap about renewing those they supposedly value. Their own hegemony hurts them too, apart from being bad for the national team, where Bayern stars look consistently poor.

This is why even Phonzie will soon enough ask to move on to a club a bit more authentic in management and football terms, and in a better league.

Omfg...this coming from a Barcelona fan. You've got to be kidding me? Calling a club disgusting because of the standards they set when you're team is an absolute shitshow and now is being investigated for bribing a referee. And please tell me more about how bad Bayern is for the national team 🤣🤣. Why don't you admit the real reason you hate Bayern so much? Is it maybe because you've been getting your ass handed to you a little too often when they've played each other? Give your arrogant head a shake.

1 hour ago, longlugan said:

Omfg...this coming from a Barcelona fan. You've got to be kidding me? Calling a club disgusting because of the standards they set when you're team is an absolute shitshow and now is being investigated for bribing a referee. And please tell me more about how bad Bayern is for the national team 🤣🤣. Why don't you admit the real reason you hate Bayern so much? Is it maybe because you've been getting your ass handed to you a little too often when they've played each other? Give your arrogant head a shake.

I've never liked Bayern, fanboy. Even before I moved to Barcelona. Other rivals that beat Barça I like, AC Milan for example, and they destroyed us in a final, Bayern hasn't.

I'm not a little daffodil in the wind like you seem to be.

Reading you I thought of that psycho standing naked in front of the Bruce Willis character in Sixth Sense. Sorry we failed you but it was likely the system's fault, and you being fundamentally fucked up doesn't help.

3 hours ago, scullion44 said:

Chilwell and James were the best players for Chelsea under Tuchel. I wouldn’t expect anything less from Davies

Chilwell was not one of Chelsea’s best players under Tuchel. Not even close.

Tuchel probably doesn’t affect Davies much, his back 4/5 are usually solid, but the guy is abrasive on a personal level and tinkers way too much. Guy has a huge ego. 

2 hours ago, longlugan said:

I love that this post had all four reaction emotes on it. I had to add the fifth to make it a full house.

58 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've never liked Bayern, fanboy. Even before I moved to Barcelona. Other rivals that beat Barça I like, AC Milan for example, and they destroyed us in a final, Bayern hasn't.

I'm not a little daffodil in the wind like you seem to be.

Reading you I thought of that psycho standing naked in front of the Bruce Willis character in Sixth Sense. Sorry we failed you but it was likely the system's fault, and you being fundamentally fucked up doesn't help.

Fan boy? 🤣🤣🤣 Unlike you I actually have a reason for following my team...I was born and raised in Munich and lived within view of their home stadium growing up. You just picked some team because they had a history that you wanted to adopt in your sad lonely life.

We haven't destroyed you in a final because your team usually doesn't make it that far...mostly because we play you before then. Check the head to head stats dumbass.

There's nothing wrong with not liking a club...there's many I don't like either. But to call one disgusting because they make you cry like the little bitch you are on a regular basis...we'll that's on you buttercup.

Why don't you grow up you fucktard.

I follow Bayern (not sure I qualify as a fan), but on every fansite right now, the reaction is shock and outrage.  Not that everyone liked Nagelsmann, but that firing him right now, in the midst of a very good CL run, a decent Bundesliga run, and with absolutely no warning shots (in fact, just the opposite - "we're doing great and Julian is our coach now and for the future"), seems like a real crap thing to do to a person and to the team.  I can't say I disagree - but maybe there's more to the story than "Thomas Tuchel is available".

If I'm Davies, I might be a bit nervous too.  Both Hansi Flick and Nagelsmann realized early on that he had very unique skillset and used it extensively in their gameplans and formations.  In fact, Nagelsmann's hybrid back 4/back 3 in possession was entirely predicated on Phonzie playing left back.  I mean, he should be very confident in his ability to play whatever left side role Tuchel assigns to him, but at the same time TT has been known to bench young North American players for no apparent reason (think there's a book about that out there).

9 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I follow Bayern (not sure I qualify as a fan), but on every fansite right now, the reaction is shock and outrage.  Not that everyone liked Nagelsmann, but that firing him right now, in the midst of a very good CL run, a decent Bundesliga run, and with absolutely no warning shots (in fact, just the opposite - "we're doing great and Julian is our coach now and for the future"), seems like a real crap thing to do to a person and to the team.  I can't say I disagree - but maybe there's more to the story than "Thomas Tuchel is available".

If I'm Davies, I might be a bit nervous too.  Both Hansi Flick and Nagelsmann realized early on that he had very unique skillset and used it extensively in their gameplans and formations.  In fact, Nagelsmann's hybrid back 4/back 3 in possession was entirely predicated on Phonzie playing left back.  I mean, he should be very confident in his ability to play whatever left side role Tuchel assigns to him, but at the same time TT has been known to bench young North American players for no apparent reason (think there's a book about that out there).

I was shocked as well and disagree with the timing of this for the very reasons you stated. Last time I checked on the "Kicker" site most people disagreed with the firing.

If at the end of the season they don't win the league then fine...but the timing of this seems suspect. According to the German media Nagelsmann had alienated most of the players...Joshua Kimmich being the only one in his corner. There are other rumors swirling around but no way to confirm it. 

I don't know how the Tuchel hiring affects Davies but I have faith that he will maintain his status on the team.

Edited by longlugan