The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

9 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Incredible game from Davies. Almost got a goal near the end there.

Did you guys catch the look Mane gave him on the replay when Davies almost scored? He wanted the pass and looked at him disgusted...

I am starting to agree with comments above, that there has to be something there.

Just now, Joe1973 said:

Did you guys catch the look Mane gave him on the replay when Davies almost scored? He wanted the pass and looked at him disgusted...

I am starting to agree with comments above, that there has to be something there.

That could just be chalked down to an attacking player who's just come back from injury being hungry to get back into the swing of things. Sane on the other hand seems to always choose Davies as a last option and only when it's not a chance to go through on goal. But honestly Davies maybe had a bit of a better angle but Coman is a much better finisher so I understand it in that instance just a shame it wasn't just this once.

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

That could just be chalked down to an attacking player who's just come back from injury being hungry to get back into the swing of things. Sane on the other hand seems to always choose Davies as a last option and only when it's not a chance to go through on goal. But honestly Davies maybe had a bit of a better angle but Coman is a much better finisher so I understand it in that instance just a shame it wasn't just this once.

Actually my bad...I read too quickly and thought the guys mentioned Mane and not Sane. Been a long week lol 

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have said it before and I will say it again - Sane must have something against Davies.  It is the only explanation why he constantly ignores him when he is in great positions.  

I know what you mean, but believe me, Sane does so many wtf's that I'm sure all his teammates think he has something against them.  The fact is, his awareness is somewhere between spotty and dismal - if he happens to pick his head up (about 20% of the time), he'll see someone and fixate on passing to that person for the next 5 seconds while he does his dance.  By the end of the dance, he's either lost the ball or the person is no longer open.  It's frustrating, and in a nutshell, it's why he no longer starts.

2 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I know what you mean, but believe me, Sane does so many wtf's that I'm sure all his teammates think he has something against them.  The fact is, his awareness is somewhere between spotty and dismal - if he happens to pick his head up (about 20% of the time), he'll see someone and fixate on passing to that person for the next 5 seconds while he does his dance.  By the end of the dance, he's either lost the ball or the person is no longer open.  It's frustrating, and in a nutshell, it's why he no longer starts.

Fair enough - and may just be confirmation bias on my part since I am paying particular attention to Davies.  But man he seems to get ignored by Sane a lot.  

I really do wonder if bringing in Cancelo lit a fire under his ass, of if it’s just a coincidence given that he should be fully recovered from his injury and in full form post World Cup. 

Read something earlier today about how Bayern has already decided to send Cancelo back once the loan is done, and I know he wasn’t brought in as a Davies replacement, but just goes to show how good he is- they bring in a $90M player, let him bite into AD’s playing time, so he kicks it into first gear and leaves Cancelo in the dust. Best LB in the world.

bayern’s route to the champions league title isn’t the hardest one from here on out- Madrid is probably the only team at their level who will move on- City too if they win the second leg against Leipzig, but aside from that, I think that BM is the heavy favourite moving forward. 

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Fair enough - and may just be confirmation bias on my part since I am paying particular attention to Davies.  But man he seems to get ignored by Sane a lot.  

However, he seems to have a very good chemistry with Musiala, being able to thread passes into the talented young winger.  

If Hollywood are able to re-up Davies and keep Musiala for a couple of more seasons, that will be a lethal left flank attacking foundation.

48 minutes ago, costarg said:

He got his shirt, now all bets are off, no more Mr Nice Guy.

I don't think folks realise, I watch in bars in Spain and everyone is in awe, the commentators are too, they laugh about how he handles the rivals; or you have a conversation and he's a god. Everyone has this amazing respect. 

Like yesterday, Valdano, who has been the smartest football commentator here for 2 decades, though getting older now. He just laughs.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

27 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

They utilize him to upmost attacking effect in a back four set up where the right back (Stanišić) is more of a stay at home guy.  It's more than just the holding mid providing extra cover on the (few) occasions when our guy can't roadrunner back.

They even tend to play 3atb with davies and coman as wingbacks. This allows de ligt to slide further over and cover davies. De ligt is great at running channels so he has a CB who is suited for covering that gap behind him.