The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

22 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

I know we’re sort of used to this by now, but I still find it amazing: A Canadian player photographed with two of the best and most iconic football players on the planet after he played against them and made a major contribution in beating their side in the Champions League.

Even five years ago, who among us thought  this would be possible?

17 hours ago, frmr said:

Literally no one.

Davies debuted for Vancouver almost 7 years ago (June, 2016), and was the youngest active player in MLS at the time. By 2017, he was a regular starter in MLS at age 16, and scored twice in his international debut. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but we could tell pretty quickly that he was special, and his ceiling was very high. It wasn’t a slam dunk that he would become everything he became, but it’s also a bit revisionist to say no one saw it coming.

1 hour ago, footballfreak said:

Davies debuted for Vancouver almost 7 years ago (June, 2016), and was the youngest active player in MLS at the time. By 2017, he was a regular starter in MLS at age 16, and scored twice in his international debut. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but we could tell pretty quickly that he was special, and his ceiling was very high. It wasn’t a slam dunk that he would become everything he became, but it’s also a bit revisionist to say no one saw it coming.

My comment was tongue in cheek, I don't actually believe that literally not a single human thought we would produce a world-class player.