The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

On 1/25/2023 at 12:42 PM, Ruud said:

Next to ziyech in the list.  
wondered if we’d see David on the list this year?  

He dropped signiificantly in the rankings this time around.  Considering that the same publication mentioned David as one to watch on a strong run of club form coming into Qatar, I suppose his lack of impact there didn't help in these rankings.

11 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

He dropped signiificantly in the rankings this time around.  Considering that the same publication mentioned David as one to watch on a strong run of club form coming into Qatar, I suppose his lack of impact there didn't help in these rankings.

Myocarditis, hamstrings, things have not been peaches and cream.

Joao Cancelo to Man City. That's a devastating fullback pairing going forward but more importantly if they give him some minutes at LB maybe Phonzie can finally get some rest once in a while.

edit : completely forgot they have Daley Blind as LB now

Edited by scullion44

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Cancelo is a loan and it seems that he had a blow up against Pep in training so he might’ve demanded out and so they sent him as far away as possible, I don’t think it hold bearing on whether they want to keep AD or not. I think he’ll stay there until he forces his way out, if he ever does.

Its a loan with an option to buy.

The Blind signing was to cover for Hernández, injured for the season. Cancelo can play both right and left--I think more on the left for City, often on the right for Portugal. Others know him better, but I think Pep had him play left being a right footer to take advantage of his attacking play. 

Bayern being archaic does not invert fullbacks, though they used to with wing attackers with Robben for example. 

Davies, right wing, the day one of his coaches wakes up it is where he'll thrive as an attacking player turning in.

13 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

To your point, he was on the right side when he scored that wonder goal vs Panama at BMO during WCQ

Right side for the pass to Osorio on the Azteca goal too.

If you check the highlight reel, his goals and assists are most often centre or right. A rare exception was the tying goal away to the States.

7 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Davies's dribbling is NOWHERE near good enough to be a world class winger. Would love for him to successfully become one but don't see it happening.

Really? Nowhere near? I always thought his dribbling was pretty good. Combined with his speed and attacking instincts I think he could develop into as good a winger as he i s a wingback

9 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Davies's dribbling is NOWHERE near good enough to be a world class winger. Would love for him to successfully become one but don't see it happening.

Statistically he’s one of the best dribblers in the world so this is a pretty wild take. 

Speed/dribbling is his game. If there are shortfalls keeping him from being a winger it’s his offensive instincts/decisions and his striking. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

3 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Really? Nowhere near? I always thought his dribbling was pretty good. Combined with his speed and attacking instincts I think he could develop into as good a winger as he i s a wingback

His "dribbling move", is kicking the ball to open space and chasing and he's very good and successful at it.  Problem is that gets exponentially more difficult, almost impossible once you're closer to the box and the marking gets tighter between the lines.  That's why he's not successful in the free roaming "10" role.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Statistically he’s one of the best dribblers in the world so this is a pretty wild take. 

Speed/dribbling is his game. If there are shortfalls keeping him from being a winger it’s his offensive instincts/decisions and his striking. 

That's because he starts his dribbles from his own half where there's much more space. Not every winger is going to be able to dribble in a phone booth like Neymar but Davies has never looked great dribbling in tight spaces when trying to break a team down, which is the type of team he faces 9/10 times.