The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 minute ago, reggietfc said:

k i will delete the dinosaur part😄

btw im a old white guy

old racist white guy that is!

….I got what you meant, it’s the old sports Canada that has to reference everything back to the “hockey of things”.

It was the Canadian way. 

31 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

k i will delete the dinosaur part😄

btw im a old white guy

No no.. just trying to give some advice 

It's not against the law to be racist, I'm just saying you can make a point about someone's behavior without bringing up race. All good

And also I looked in to this idiot and he actually doesn't seem too old. Kinda middle age

Edited by SpursFlu

So after watching all 3 matches of the World Cup, my opinion of Alphonso Davies hasn't changed. He is a world class left back, but he isn't a world class attacking midfielder.  He makes a lot of mistakes in dribbling and gives away the ball, far too many mistakes allowed at this level.  He also made quite a few missed passes as well. 

Unless Bayern develops Alphonso Davies further as an attacking midfielder, I hope that Alphonso Davies can play left back, which is where he is a world class player. And I hope that by the next World Cup, other talent will arise so that Alphonso Davies can play left back.  Today against Morocoo, I think it was the 2nd goal Morocco scored, the Moroccan player just outran our defense on the left side. If Alphonso Davies was playing left back, I don't think Morocco scores that second goal because I don't think Alphonso Davies will let the Moroccan player outrun him.

3 minutes ago, football_world said:

So after watching all 3 matches of the World Cup, my opinion of Alphonso Davies hasn't changed. He is a world class left back, but he isn't a world class attacking midfielder.  He makes a lot of mistakes in dribbling and gives away the ball, far too many mistakes allowed at this level.  He also made quite a few missed passes as well. 

Unless Bayern develops Alphonso Davies further as an attacking midfielder, I hope that Alphonso Davies can play left back, which is where he is a world class player. And I hope that by the next World Cup, other talent will arise so that Alphonso Davies can play left back.  Today against Morocoo, I think it was the 2nd goal Morocco scored, the Moroccan player just outran our defense on the left side. If Alphonso Davies was playing left back, I don't think Morocco scores that second goal because I don't think Alphonso Davies will let the Moroccan player outrun him.

If he was at LB he still would’ve been pushed way up field. He’s not a defensive player regardless of what position he plays in.

5 minutes ago, football_world said:

Interesting points but can't agree on the goal.

That is always the centre backs' ball.

Edit: He is still getting rave reviews from the games neutrals watched here. (Most didn't watch this one, and I haven't talked to them yet but probably his most disjointed performance not helped by being all over the field.)

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Interesting points but can't agree on the goal.

That is always the centre backs ball.

I recall we had 2 Canadian defenders chasing the ball down. Both were outrun.  Just saying, if one of those defenders happened to be Alphonso Davies, I don't think the Moroccan player outruns Davies.

1 minute ago, football_world said:

I recall we had 2 Canadian defenders chasing the ball down. Both were outrun.  Just saying, if one of those defenders happened to be Alphonso Davies, I don't think the Moroccan player outruns Davies.

The left back no matter how you play is responsible for a ball dumped in the middle of the field.  The two defenders are again centre backs.

7 minutes ago, Fullback said:

If he was at LB he still would’ve been pushed way up field. He’s not a defensive player regardless of what position he plays in.

That's key though, he knows he can't do that at Bayern - he needs to be played at his position and show the same discipline with us.

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I just don't want this kid to play in the middle that's all. I hope Herdman gets that through his head especially as other pressing CMs emerge (hopefully Jayden Nelson as one of them)

Bayern have started to let him drift in, so maybe he is better in time but this tournament was a bridge way too far.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I don't think we're getting close to the best from him on the national team. He's been misused. 

Facts and also, he IS effective further up in CONCACAF - then Herdman gets the idea that this will work on World class teams. There's a reason Bayern doesn't do it... hope John gets the message and trust our attacking depth going forward

Just keep Davies at LB with Adekugbe as depth

Edited by Ansem

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Facts and also, he IS effective further up in CONCACAF - then Herdman gets the idea that this will work on World class teams. There's a reason Bayern doesn't do it... hope John gets the message and trust our attacking depth going forward

Just keep Davies at LB with Adekugbe as depth

Exactly.  If Bayern succeeded with Alphonso Davies playing further up, they would have done that already. 

Just now, football_world said:

Exactly.  If Bayern succeeded with Alphonso Davies playing further up, they would have done that already. 

That is not quite fair.  Davies only got games because of an injury at left back.  Bayern have a wealth of wide young talent and had Perisic there for a year. They developed him where they needed him.

23 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That is not quite fair.  Davies only got games because of an injury at left back.  Bayern have a wealth of wide young talent and had Perisic there for a year. They developed him where they needed him.

They did try him further up and put him back at LB. He's world class there, not further up -  we need to play him as such.

We need a World Class player at his position on our XI in a World Cup. He'll, we need to go start doing that for Gold Cups and Nations League

We need to start winning trophies

Edited by Ansem

One of his strengths is the overlapping run.  Even though someone like Sane often doesn’t find him, that overlap let’s AD hit space at full speed.   The injury could have played a part this tourney but his speed wasn’t used effectively - and I think it is partly because he is often starting from a crowded congested position.  Having him burn into space seems to really play to his strength but we  tend to not use him like that.  

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

They did try him further up and put him back at LB. He's world class there, not further up -  we need to play him as such.

We need a World Class player at his position on our XI in a World Cup. He'll, we need to go start doing that for Gold Cups and Nations League

We need to start winning trophies

When?  They did a back 3 a bit last year and he was a very attacking wing back but  I am not sure how many times he has lined up with a left back behind him  since he replaced Hernandez.

Can't think of a time all tournament where he ran down the wing and whipped a ball in like he did for Larin's goal against the US, and is his bread and butter both as a left back and as a forward for Canada. Distribution was still inconsistent at best today and he's not an efficient player in the middle. Should be a bit disappointed in his performance even though he'll go down in history as our first scorer. Hopefully he keeps on having a great season at Bayern.

One thing too- we forget how young he is. 22. He hasn’t even hit his prime yet. If we had a 22 year old doing what he’s doing but for an MLS club, we’d be over the moon (see: Alistair Johnston). Hoping he either develops more forward with Bayern or a player like Corbeanu takes his wing spot and lets him play the same position he does at club. 

The biggest thing I want to (not) see is him on set pieces. Just because you are the best player does not mean you are the best player at everything. PKs (David), FKs (Eustaquio), corners (Hoilett) are the primary guys I want to see on them. I've seen so many corners from Phonzie that don't make it past the first defender at the side of the six yard box