The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

28 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Kloke is neither a clickbait POS nor an idiot.  We have so few Canadian soccer journalists, we need to support the ones we have.  Most are good, enjoyable to read or listen to (Kloke, Galindo, Molinaro, Platt, Jack, AGR, Davidson).  All are big Canadian supporters doing the best they can in difficult media conditions.  Even the more "over the top" guys like Wheeler and Nef are big supporters of our NT and Canadian game.

Nothing against Duthie (I like the guy), but I feel bad for the long time soccer journos when a guy like Duthie flies over and gets this kind of scoop when the usual guys are fighting for scraps of info from Herdman.

Felt the same during the "Big Bloody Deal" when known soccer-hater Simmons got the first questions to Defoe over all the guys covering the team for years. 

I agree with your point about supporting the soccer journalists but there's something seriously wrong when one journalist reports one thing and the other tells us the complete opposite. One of them is talking out of his ass. Right now I don't know which one is which.

14 minutes ago, narduch said:

Kloke also covers hockey for the Athletic.

Which basically tells you all you need to know about soccer coverage in this country.

He's also written at least two books on soccer in this country, including one called "The Voyageurs".  Yes, he's one of several Leaf writers for the Athletic so it tells me he needs to make a living.  All the more reason to support his soccer reporting.  Herdman all along has been downplaying Phonzie starting or even playing in the Belgium game in every presser I have heard.  What is Kloke supposed to write?

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

I agree with your point about supporting the soccer journalists but there's something seriously wrong when one journalist reports one thing and the other tells us the complete opposite. One of them is talking out of his ass. Right now I don't know which one is which.

A fluid situation is going to be... fluid.

Kloke reported on what the situation was a few days ago, Duthie got word directly from the horse's mouth today. The situation improved in that time, that's how it goes.

11 minutes ago, RS said:

A fluid situation is going to be... fluid.

Kloke reported on what the situation was a few days ago, Duthie got word directly from the horse's mouth today. The situation improved in that time, that's how it goes.

The situation is so fluid that there's a 180 degree turn within 24 hours? Kloke's article came out on the 19th and he claimed Davies was looking less and less likely of playing the Belgium game. Duthie comes to the rescue the next day and tells us Davies is go to go.

There's click bait in both reports. It's the nature of reporting on social media.

Edited by Sal333

6 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

The situation is so fluid that there's a 180 degree turn within 24 hours? Kloke's article came out on the 19th and he claimed Davies was looking less and less likely of playing the Belgium game. Duthie comes to the rescue the next day and tells us Davies is go to go.

There's click bait in both reports. It's the nature of reporting on social media.

First off, there can't be click bait in Duthie's report since it was aired on television. Also, Duthie didn't tell us Davies is ready to go, Phonzy himself said it. If you're referring to his tweet, it was a tease for an upcoming segment.

As for Kloke's article, it was all based on what Herdman was saying.

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

Kloke is neither a clickbait POS nor an idiot.  We have so few Canadian soccer journalists, we need to support the ones we have.  Most are good, enjoyable to read or listen to (Kloke, Galindo, Molinaro, Platt, Jack, AGR, Davidson).  All are big Canadian supporters doing the best they can in difficult media conditions.  Even the more "over the top" guys like Wheeler and Nef are big supporters of our NT and Canadian game.

Nothing against Duthie (I like the guy), but I feel bad for the long time soccer journos when a guy like Duthie flies over and gets this kind of scoop when the usual guys are fighting for scraps of info from Herdman.

Felt the same during the "Big Bloody Deal" when known soccer-hater Simmons got the first questions to Defoe over all the guys covering the team for years. 

I have liked Davidson not only because he has been around a very long time (during the dark ages) but also he is more of a just-the-facts guy and less op-ed.  His ego doesn't get in the way like it does with  more op-ed style of reporters.