The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

"How are you brother?"

"I'm aight." Smiles. "Ready!"

--

Nuf said: The lad starts versus Belgium.

--

Anyone else getting a bit weirded out by the "brother" thing? I don't mean two black guys saying "brother", but the whole Brotherhood thing that is starting to feel eerily like some sort of Amway-selling cult.  Maybe I should head over to 4chan and start posting about this shit under the alias "The Beav".  The rise of Beav-Annon, just you watch. Alistair Johnston drinking the blood of newborns before every match, Cavallini and Oso doing some crazy South American voodoo, Steph leading the guys in the Blessing of the Stache...Crazy shit going on.

2 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

"How are you brother?"

"I'm aight." Smiles. "Ready!"

--

Nuf said: The lad starts versus Belgium.

--

Anyone else getting a bit weirded out by the "brother" thing? I don't mean two black guys saying "brother", but the whole Brotherhood thing that is starting to feel eerily like some sort of Amway-selling cult.  Maybe I should head over to 4chan and start posting about this shit under the alias "The Beav".  The rise of Beav-Annon, just you watch. Alistair Johnston drinking the blood of newborns before every match, Cavallini and Oso doing some crazy South American voodoo, Steph leading the guys in the Blessing of the Stache...Crazy shit going on.

That post is just your unconscious refusing to believe the success this team has seen and will see in the next month.

7 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

How have there been no comments in this thread for 8 hours? I'm so fucking devastated if true. I believe we are more likely to beat Belgium than Croatia.

FUCK BAYERN.

Serious click bait headline.  There is nothing in that article beyond the brief statements JH gave to the press today.

Maybe we throw out a starting 11 vs Belgium that is not expected to play in the last two games, and give them the objective of injuring as many key Belgians as possible so that they lose their last two matches of the group. Play a 4-5-1, clog the middle, savage their ankles, and let's see if we can hold on for a nil-nil draw.

I guess what I am really saying is that I am stressed to think we might not have Davies, Stache, and Borjan for our opener. 

5 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Maybe we throw out a starting 11 vs Belgium that is not expected to play in the last two games, and give them the objective of injuring as many key Belgians as possible so that they lose their last two matches of the group. Play a 4-5-1, clog the middle, savage their ankles, and let's see if we can hold on for a nil-nil draw.

I guess what I am really saying is that I am stressed to think we might not have Davies, Stache, and Borjan for our opener. 

I honestly think we want Belgium to win their last 2 games though ...

8 hours ago, Addona said:

I honestly think we want Belgium to win their last 2 games though ...

If we beat Belgium, we want them to draw their last two games, in first case scenario.

In fact, the best scenario is that we win and all the other matches in the group are draws. 

I won't be putting money down on this scenario, but going into Morocco with a draw taking us through, best set-up we could imagine.

2 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Joshua Kloke is an absolute idiot.

It is just a small pie and our soccer journalism landscape is very barren. So you try to survive.

Almost everyone is at the limit, trying to make a living being a soccer journo, so they are looking for these little desperate edges. Looking for an angle, trying to get an edge, get noticed by a producer [edit, or editor]. Then the producers will repeat this and get their guys to do odd things, for the same reasons (they get Andi Petrillo to be saucier and talk "cowgirl" for the CBC, Josh Deming's stuff for One Soccer is much worse because they force him to go useless speculation scenarios).

Then the dynamics of social media seems to reward being unusual or having and angle, rather than rigour. Or better said: the panorama encourages a diversity of media personalities, and everyone invents their media type and plays it. It is all scripted, and if it not explicit, it's implicity. We're talking about media types in a sports chat: the serious analyst, the investigating exposé guy, the over-the-top former player, the hysteria of the play-by-play guy, the irascible coach or the sage coach, the young wide-eyed intern, throw in females for mostly sexist reasons. And then there are exceptions, thankfully. 

I've worked as a journalist, have done radio, tv, press liason, been a critic, co-written books, been a columnist, been a foreign correspondent for a NY magazine. And in three languages. Since my twenties. And I've had the odd chance to do soccer, but almost always I refuse, because I just want to be a fan, just a regular fan, and be myself, and not have to tailor anything to anyone. I can be self-interested and strategic and seek to manipulate reality in my professional life, soccer is one of those places where I can let my guard down.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Kloke is neither a clickbait POS nor an idiot.  We have so few Canadian soccer journalists, we need to support the ones we have.  Most are good, enjoyable to read or listen to (Kloke, Galindo, Molinaro, Platt, Jack, AGR, Davidson).  All are big Canadian supporters doing the best they can in difficult media conditions.  Even the more "over the top" guys like Wheeler and Nef are big supporters of our NT and Canadian game.

Nothing against Duthie (I like the guy), but I feel bad for the long time soccer journos when a guy like Duthie flies over and gets this kind of scoop when the usual guys are fighting for scraps of info from Herdman.

Felt the same during the "Big Bloody Deal" when known soccer-hater Simmons got the first questions to Defoe over all the guys covering the team for years.