The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

31 minutes ago, king1010 said:

exactly the point. There was a chance it wasnt going to affect wc and there was a chance it was going to. hence the panic

you cant tel ppl how to react to the chance davies misses the wc. Panicking is a logical reaction

We’re gunna have to agree to disagree here. 

Both of you are missing the point. Whether there was reason to panic or not the media doesn’t care. Davies being injured and generating panic gets them clicks. That’s how media works. 

Fans aside, Davies out of the WC would have been a massive loss to FIFA and to sponsors as well as to Bayern who would see a bump in his asset value with a strong showing in Qatar. Anyone not Cdn watching a Canada game will be doing so to see Davies. We are still an unknown entity in the soccer world. Hopefully that changes in 18 days

45 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Both of you are missing the point. Whether there was reason to panic or not the media doesn’t care. Davies being injured and generating panic gets them clicks. That’s how media works. 

I hope this is the last time I have to say this, but I acknowledge a media shitstorm will likely ensue when there's a possible injury to a star player like Davies. But we as fans can recognize it for what it is and try not to panic until we know more about the situation. That's it. That's all I'm saying. Glad he should be OK. 

2 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

There you go. He will recover in time. Let's all remember to wait for an actual medical assessment before htting the panic button in the future.

As a side note, I feel like there's always a media shitstorm when Davies could potentially be out for any length of time. I understand this happens because he's a celebrity, but I doubt the actual severity of the injury would have been blown out of proportion if it was any other player. 

I've been supporting this team for decades.  Panicking is what I do best.

Not to be a downer, but just like people should jump to crazy conclusions about the injury itself, I also don’t think we are completely out of the woods because of the projected 2 week timeline. Hamstrings can be tricky and reinjury is a real possibility.  If a matter of days could make a difference, I wonder if Davies actually starts our first game or is given a bit of a lighter load off the bench.  

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not to be a downer, but just like people should jump to crazy conclusions about the injury itself, I also don’t think we are completely out of the woods because of the projected 2 week timeline. Hamstrings can be tricky and reinjury is a real possibility.  If a matter of days could make a difference, I wonder if Davies actually starts our first game or is given a bit of a lighter load off the bench.  

Fair point. Time will tell. 

10 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Let's all remember to wait for an actual medical assessment before htting the panic button in the future.

We have seen examples of athletes whereby it was concluded on the assessment done on the following day, that it would be a day-to-day injury.   And then it turns out that guy is out several weeks.   We just dont know how fast a body heals and recovers for muscle injuries.  And we dont know when or which medical assessment is the most relevant for information.

When I guy goes off the pitch holding a hamstring.   Thats information.  Discussion forums are primarily about information or discussions about information.

Edited by Free kick

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

We have seen examples of athletes whereby it was concluded on the assessment done on the following day, that it would be a day-to-day injury.   And then it turns out that guy is out several weeks.   We just know how fast a body heals and recovers for muscle injuries.  And when dont know when or which medical assessment is the most relevant information.

When I guy goes off the pitch holding a hamstring.   Thats information.  Discussion forums are primarily about information or discussions about information.

Of course there can be discussion, but there was not enough information at the time to support the position that he wouldn't be healthy for the WC. This is not like the Crepeau situation, which is very clearly a severe injury. 

That said and even with the good news today, I understand we're not totally out of the woods. That's fine. Anything can happen to anyone in lead-up to this WC. I know there have been many injuries of late and it is truly an unbelievable coincidence. But constantly worrying about that isn't healthy. 

53 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Agreed - but I have to think that this is literally the best case scenario.

52 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

100%. There is zero certainty with these things. Those of you who have thanked god, you ain’t finished yet. We are going to be still be praying when the games start. 

4 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

There you go. He will recover in time. Let's all remember to wait for an actual medical assessment before htting the panic button in the future.

As a side note, I feel like there's always a media shitstorm when Davies could potentially be out for any length of time. I understand this happens because he's a celebrity, but I doubt the actual severity of the injury would have been blown out of proportion if it was any other player. 

I think fans and supporters get some creative license to panic a bit. Wheeler on the other hand…

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Even if he plays his ability to accelerate may be limited.

All I could think of yesterday is how many times did our team seem snakebit over the last 30 years?  Shitty bad breaks, offside calls, endless CONCACAF F#ck overs.  Having Davies miss the WC, with him being the face of the team, the ads and marketing, golden boy of a golden generation....ughhhhhh.  I know we made it through qualifying with him gone but the entire WC would be worse of without him there, let alone our team.  I dont blame anyone from going into a tailspin.