The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Must have been an honour to play with so many legends and various high profile athletes (and others lol). Looks like he was smiling ear to ear for most of it. Ronaldinho put one past him for the first goal and you could tell he almost wanted it to happen...a memory and story to tell forever. Watched basically the entire thing and was awesome to see lots of the legends still in great shape and with skill for days. Some were not so in shape but still masters on and off the ball. There was one play when Cafu executed a wonderful cross which was smashed in with a diving header by a "portly" Zamorano. Crazy to see a guy like that, completely out of shape but all the class and timing to knock it in. Oh, and Davies did score lol

Edited by PegCityCam

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

Aside from Phonzie getting paid this is really good for soccer in Canada.

The more advertising dollars that get spent means more money for the game!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Interview with Kasey Keller

I love his contention, his mental control for what matters. He can be exuberant off the field, and funloving, but for the game he just holds it all in. I think he has a high level of concentration and obviously is totally focused on success. 

Keller asks what the goal is at the World Cup, and the goal he says is to win it. 

Then KK asks what is a reasonable goal, is getting out of the group reasonable. And Alphonso says it is. But he does not say that is all he wants.

This is the what gives us faith for the competition, that we have a team of guys who believe they can do it but would rather prove it on the field. It is also why I think it is going to be really fun to watch.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I love his contention, his mental control for what matters. He can be exuberant off the field, and funloving, but for the game he just holds it all in. I think he has a high level of concentration and obviously is totally focused on success. 

Keller asks what the goal is at the World Cup, and the goal he says is to win it. 

Then KK asks what is a reasonable goal, is getting out of the group reasonable. And Alphonso says it is. But he does not say that is all he wants.

This is the what gives us faith for the competition, that we have a team of guys who believe they can do it but would rather prove it on the field. It is also why I think it is going to be really fun to watch.

When he said "realistic" he should have said "Win the World Cup".

1 hour ago, pod818 said:

I miss his old haircut. Too easy to mix him up with Mane or gnabry now

I was going to say the same thing.  Especially with Mane having a similar burst and speed as Davies it was hard to tell who was who from a distance.

6 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

Is it me or does Davies look physically stronger? He looks a lot less gangly in my eyes. Perhaps growing more into his body. 

Maybe…he was really popping off the tele last night!   With he and Mané on the left side they’re going to torch the Bundesliga.   Should be a good offensive year for Phonzie.

One thing I noticed last night was the poise he has at left back now. He's now played multiple seasons for Bayern as a starter, and it shows. I think there's room for improvement on the positioning, but his first touch in the offensive build up just seems more mature and assured than before. And like others mentioned, he just seems to be getting stronger and faster as time goes on. Some excellent 1 vs 1 defending too, might I add.

I definitely think he's going to have a steller year at Bayern.