The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

This is all over the press here in Spain, and in Spanish, as well. 

I find it funny, to begin with. And also dead right, mostly. Smart guy--thing is, when you see Davies and Huitema, you see he is not that bright in school terms, she's much smarter. But he's football smart.

I am sure as well most would agree. If you sign Cristiano you should make him a captain. First of all. If he used to play for your team, even more so, he's not a newbie. But the point is also that the other captains should have immediately suggested giving him the armband, because that is how you establish leadership in the dressing room and on the field. He may be in decline, but he should be the recognised leader. He can have a bad game and still be able to be motivational in the dressing room.

It is totally different for a Messi, say, at PSG. He's new, does not speak the language to even say a word to a ref, and on top of that his ego does not require it. 

The only place I slightly disagree, is that in many teams the guys do not say "capi" or treat the captain that way. Maybe he does, coming in young to Bayern and in a culture where things are rather hierarchical, and Germans treating titles as very important (I've met a few Herr Professors and Herr Doktors in my time).

5 hours ago, costarg said:

Until Bayern play ManU or Canada plays England......

Considering how Maguire has been playing for United, I suspect Phonzie will get a standing ovation and fireworks the next time he's at Old Trafford.  On the other hand, Harry has been a different story for England... ...maybe Phonzie should stick to the south side of the channel for his vacations for a bit...

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The only place I slightly disagree, is that in many teams the guys do not say "capi" or treat the captain that way. Maybe he does, coming in young to Bayern and in a culture where things are rather hierarchical, and Germans treating titles as very important (I've met a few Herr Professors and Herr Doktors in my time).

Yeah, that was the part I found a bit odd too.  Does he actually address Neuer, Muller and Lewandowski as "Cap"?  Bit weird.

People are actually saying Phonzie could go out well that Bayern could go out against Villareal and honestly in Champions League anything could happen. I mean Villarreal won the first leg beating Bayern 1-0 and they were tough to break down especially defensively. But with Phonzie he wasn't even playing but now that he is in the 2nd leg, will it make much of a difference? Lewandowski can only take this team so far 

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

People are actually saying Phonzie could go out well that Bayern could go out against Villareal and honestly in Champions League anything could happen. I mean Villarreal won the first leg beating Bayern 1-0 and they were tough to break down especially defensively. But with Phonzie he wasn't even playing but now that he is in the 2nd leg, will it make much of a difference? Lewandowski can only take this team so far 

Davies played in the first leg TGAA.

Looks like it may have been a sacrifice based on the formation but I am not sure how you don’t start Phonzie in the game today.   He was very effective last game, was involved in a number of threatening attacks, had nothing to do with the goal that was conceded (as far as I remember) and made a couple of huge defensive runs/interventions.  Seems really odd to leave him on the bench to start in a must-win.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

There’s already been a few moments where I can’t help but feel Davies would have reached the ball or made a play. 

A very far fetched theory: maybe they’re still easing him in and anticipating this goes to Extra time and they want to have him in the later stages when there’s tired legs out there?

It wasn't a bad play by Davies, it was a great counter from Moreno and  Chukwueze. He had to pinch in to cover the centre then had to shift after the perfect pass. 

Probably Nagelsman's error to think he had to press in attack the last 10m instead of preparing for extra periods which were to his advantage. 

Bayern dominated, without great chances, but Lewandowski probably should have been sent off 1st half. 

I'm glad they're out, and happy for Villarreal, an impressive team. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It wasn't a bad play by Davies, it was a great counter from Moreno and  Chukwueze. He had to pinch in to cover the centre then had to shift after the perfect pass. 

Probably Nagelsman's error to think he had to press in attack the last 10m instead of preparing for extra periods which were to his advantage. 

Bayern dominated, without great chances, but Lewandowski probably should have been sent off 1st half. 

I wouldn't take anything away from Villarreal because they executed the play perfectly (a microcosm of their play in this tournament), but there's no reason Davies can't take care of the extra yard or two to intercept the pass.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Put your Bayern/German bias aside, man. This only means less possible games for our superstar. You shouldn't be happy as a Canadian supporter. 

I honestly think that is an unbelievably dumb time to sub in a defender.  You are 3 minutes away from extra time.  Wait until the break, sub Davies in so that he starts at the right time and is given a chance to get get a feel for the game.  What possible benefit was it to sub him on in the 87th minute? 

What exactly was Nagelsman hoping Davies would provide by playing CB in a back three? Their wing play was woeful the whole game (note that their goal came centrally), it was crying out for Davies to be used where he is most effective, not experimenting him in a new position where he could do no good with 3 minutes to go. As the coach, he has to take the responsibility - yes, his players missed a bunch of chances but they still didn't create as much as they should have.

It was a 3 on 2 counter and while Davies could have played it better, that applies to the whole team team for allowing that situation to happen to begin with. And Neuer looked like he was imitating a Greek statue on the play.

Edited by Gian-Luca

5 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

I wouldn't take anything away from Villarreal because they executed the play perfectly (a microcosm of their play in this tournament), but there's no reason Davies can't take care of the extra yard or two to intercept the pass.

Remind me the wunning goal for Haiti at 2019 Gold Cup. He has poor sense/instinct to his surrounding opponent. No much improved neither. Phonzie should never play as a wingback. Allysha Chapman (CanWNT) is a better role model.

People think Davies is at fault in a back 3 with the CB missing entirely, don't get the logic. 

As @Gian-Lucasays above, the changes were very poor. As was the timing. It was arrogant coaching, trying to win in regular time. But the sort of arrogance that sees Bayern fall every so often.

As for my biases, I've never liked BM. Ever. And do like Villarreal as a long-standing Cinderella story. And a tremendously coached team right now.

Same as I don't like la Juve, PSG or Chelsea--except tonight, but that's not working out much. Be a proper football fan and stay true to your colours. How many teams do you still support long after the Canadian that was there has been long gone? I'm my case, none. 

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

13 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It was a 3 on 2 counter and while Davies could have played it better, that applies to the whole team team for allowing that situation to happen to begin with. And Neuer looked like he was imitating a Greek statue on the play.

I agree with both of these takes, although I will say that Neuer was frozen in place because the shot was mis-hit.

Either way, Davies was one of two Bayern players defending a 3 v 2 counterattack. That he got as close to Chukwueze as he did shows how much ground he can cover, even when coming into a game cold.