The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

He also took an elbow to the head as the whistle blew and took some time getting up, looks like he was finally walking off accompanied by the trainers 2 minutes after the final whistle. The elbow to the head that Goretzka took (also not called, despite that it was in the PK box and produced a ton of blood) was probably worse, not sure game this Ref was watching.

Great to see him get in, play 90 and play well from all accounts here. I can only imagine it was a pretty nervous day for him leading into the game. We played so well in qualifying at times without him, but there’s no doubt we missed him so much. Can’t wait to see him integrated back into the CMNT line up. What a talent to have at our disposal.

Watched it all. Great match by Villarreal, typical team coached by Unai Emery, able to rise to the big occasions. Some great players like Pau Torres, Parejo, Gerard Moreno. Think they said this is Bayern's first CL loss away from home since 2017.

Davies was good throughout, economical in the build-up, going forward only on occasion, solid at the back. He looked very sprite and fit and not at all rusty. Had one double chance at goal 2nd half, on a volley at the top of the box, blocked, and then the rebound that went to the keeper; but really overall Bayern did not have good chances. Lewandowski was well contained as was Müller. They pushed more late, but not very effectively.

As mentioned the Submarino had some good counters and probably should have scored another. Davies cleared one on a slide against Moreno on a very tight play, excellent defensive coverage after the CBs had lost him.

Not sure but as the attack went up the right through Coman 2nd half, and Sané subbing in was controlled on the left, he sat back a bit as Bayern was pushing for the tie last 15 minutes: perhaps a bit tired?

Conclusion: the Davies that plays for Canada has a different job to do, at Bayern he is still just a strong role player.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I don’t know if it’s already been talked about here, but what are peoples thoughts on the old clip of him going viral right now where he is talking about how crazy it is that Ronaldo is captained by Harry Maguire? 

Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with it but it’s definitely a bad look. Getting him a lot of bad press in the Uk right now as well because they all seem to be obsessed with Maguire. He will definitely wish he hadn’t said that but I don’t think there anything wrong saying that it’s crazy Ronaldo is captained by someone else. Roping Maguire into it was where he probably went a step too far.

anyways, open for discussion

Just now, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

I don’t know if it’s already been talked about here, but what are peoples thoughts on the old clip of him going viral right now where he is talking about how crazy it is that Ronaldo is captained by Harry Maguire? 

Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with it but it’s definitely a bad look. Getting him a lot of bad press in the Uk right now as well because they all seem to be obsessed with Maguire. He will definitely wish he hadn’t said that but I don’t think there anything wrong saying that it’s crazy Ronaldo is captained by someone else. Roping Maguire into it was where he probably went a step too far.

anyways, open for discussion

Not trying to be rude but that seems a bit too “soap opera” to worry about.  Ronaldo is one of the best players to play the game (and some could legitimately argue he is the best ever) so it isn’t that silly to have a laugh about it.   The British press will use any excuse to fly off the handle so I don’t think it matters in the least.  There will be a new controversy next week. And the week after.  Etc. 

Call me old-fashioned or whatever you'd like, I'm always concerned about stars getting in trouble through social media.  Davies being one of the most active is setting himself up.  The old school "focus on your game" was wise advice.  Look what Pogba managed when he stopped coloring his hair for the world cup, he himself stated it was specifically to focus on his game and nothing else.  Too bad he went right back to it after the world cup.

Yeah, he probably shouldn't have said that - I mean referring to Maguire as "what's his name" was a bit much.  He did say "I'm not dissing Harry Maguire" later, but damage was done, tabloids were alerted and social media blew up.  Of course, in his role as a social media star, maybe that's not such a bad thing.  And I kinda doubt it will affect his game in any way, so that's good (although there's always a chance he'll get slapped at the next awards ceremony...)

13 hours ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

I think he should weigh in about how crazy it is that Ryan Gauld is captained by Russell Teibert.😜

Seriously, I think that kind of hyperbolic media is always looking for manufactured controversy.  Stirs up the jingoism and the hype, etc.:   makes money.

5 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I think he should weigh in about how crazy it is that Ryan Gauld is captained by Russell Teibert.😜

Seriously, I think that kind of hyperbolic media is always looking for manufactured controversy.  Stirs up the jingoism and the hype, etc.:   makes money.

I was scouring the Belgian media earlier and stumbled upon this.   This is making mainstream news.

Alphonso Davies pas tendre avec Harry Maguire, défenseur anglais (vidéo) - Édition digitale de Charleroi (sudinfo.be)

Edited by Free kick