The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

9 minutes ago, imoffside said:

He mentioned on his livestream yesterday that he hopes to be Canada's next captain (after some of the older players retire)

I sure hope so in fact let's make Phonzie the captain for Gold Cup 23 or for Gold Cup 25 or for the 2026 FIFA World Cup 

On 3/27/2022 at 6:44 PM, Miche said:

Where's that satire cartoon of the Bayern players mocking Phonzie. "Good luck with Canada..."?

I think you are thinking of Ronaldo mocking Phonzie while taking a leak and not realizing he's mic'd up.

On 3/28/2022 at 1:35 PM, imoffside said:

He mentioned on his livestream yesterday that he hopes to be Canada's next captain (after some of the older players retire)

Was that the game stream or the day after? During the game stream he started waxing poetic about who the captain would be in 2026 (and getting pretty broken up about all the guys who would be retiring soon). Maybe I need to listen again, but he seemed pretty definitive that the next captain would not be him.

IIrc, he ruminated on Junior, Osorio, Adekugbe and someone else maybe?Someone mentioned Tajon in the chat and Phonzy said Tajon’s really quiet and shy. Larin was never mentioned at all, probably for the same reason.

Been meaning to go back and find it again.

Edited by footballfreak

6 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Was that the game stream or the day after? During the game stream he started waxing poetic about who the captain would be in 2026 (and getting pretty broken up about all the guys who would be retiring soon). Maybe I need to listen again, but he seemed pretty definitive that the next captain would not be him.

IIrc, he ruminated on Junior, Osorio, Adekugbe and someone else maybe?Someone mentioned Tajon in the chat and Phonzy said Tajon’s really quiet and shy. Larin was never mentioned at all, probably for the same reason.

I don’t see a ton of guys retiring before 2026. Vitoria and Hutch are the only ones that seem obvious. Hoilett is the next oldest, followed by Oso, Cava. Do you mean Junior, Oso, Adekugbe as the next captains? I could see that.

Edited by archer21

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

I don’t see a ton of guys retiring before 2026. Vitoria and Hutch are the only ones that seem obvious. Hoilett is the next oldest, followed by Oso, Cava. Do you mean Junior, Oso, Adekugbe as the next captains? I could see that.

2026 my captain would be Davies mainly because he's the most notable player on Canada but probably our best player so why not. By then Phonzie will be 25/26 years old so again why not?

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

2026 my captain would be Davies mainly because he's the most notable player on Canada but probably our best player so why not. By then Phonzie will be 25/26 years old so again why not?

I don’t think it should always come down to who’s the best player, but I do think he has a good chance to wear the armband at least occasionally. However, if Borjan is still starting, I’d say he’ll probably be captain most of the time. I like Osorio as captain too, but he won’t be an every match starter in 2026. Same could probably be said about Hoilett.

8 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Yeah he was talking about who the captain would be for 2026. I remember him going "I hope it's me though.... nah it won't be me"

I took it as him wanting to be humble and not saying "oh it's going to be me" 

Phonzie will be on TSN's 2nd intermission of tonight's Leafs-Jets game (just announced by "the panel" of Dave Poulin, Doug & Bob McKenzie & Jeff O'Neill answering which was the best moment of Canada's WCQ campaign, Adekugbe snowbank celebration (picked by Poulin), Buchanan goal & back flip (picked by no-one) and Davies goal vs. Panama (picked by O'Neil & McKenzie).