The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

I couldn’t do it. Someone else find the Davies takeaway please. I barely tolerate Wheeler as play by play but I have no idea why he’s doing analysis (for the record I didn’t even listen to if he had good points, just PTSD from previous panels with him)

TL;DW: There are currently ongoing talks with Canada and Bayern to bring him to the WCQ. It's unlikely that he does come but it has not been ruled out. One solution they're working towards is the possibility of Bayern bringing in a trainer specifically for Davies and having Davies his own personal "back to play" plan. In other words, they want to potentially use the qualifiers as a way to slowly bring Davies back up to speed (have him play minimal minutes) that way he has a head start by the time he starts playing for Bayern again.

EDIT: Wanted to add that squad to be released by the end of the weekend "after all the matches have been played". Another detail: Canada Soccer and Bayern have a really good working relationship.

Edited by Ally McCoist

4 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

TL;DW: There are currently ongoing talks with Canada and Bayern to bring him to the WCQ. It's unlikely that he does come but it has not been ruled out. One solution they're working towards is the possibility of Bayern bringing in a trainer specifically for Davies and having Davies his own personal "back to play" plan. In other words, they want to potentially use the qualifiers as a way to slowly bring Davies back up to speed (have him play minimal minutes) that way he has a head start by the time he starts playing for Bayern again.

You’re a legend and I owe you a beer for saving me from Wheeler

19 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

EDIT: Wanted to add that squad to be released by the end of the weekend "after all the matches have been played". Another detail: Canada Soccer and Bayern have a really good working relationship.

Yeah.....I don’t think I want World Cup Qualifiers used as a training pitch for Bayern.....

53 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

If it can be worked out it seems like a reasonable solution for all. 

We are owed some goodwill after sending phonzie back as a precaution in September. 

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

Yeah.....I don’t think I want World Cup Qualifiers used as a training pitch for Bayern.....

So you don't want Canada Soccer and Bayern Munich to work together to create a scenario where Davies can join the national team in celebrating the first World Cup berth since '86—which he has been a massive part of—while also giving him limited minutes which mutually benefits the national team (in getting our best player on the pitch) and Davies in getting him back to game speed in a period where there are otherwise no club games due to the international window.

Yeah that sounds like an awful idea.

6 hours ago, frmr said:

So you don't want Canada Soccer and Bayern Munich to work together to create a scenario where Davies can join the national team in celebrating the first World Cup berth since '86—which he has been a massive part of—while also giving him limited minutes which mutually benefits the national team (in getting our best player on the pitch) and Davies in getting him back to game speed in a period where there are otherwise no club games due to the international window.

I see your point, my concern was we still need the most productive player on the field, ideally not someone shaking off tons of rust.  I would question whether this would mutually benefit Canada by him being not the best player on the field at this phase of his recovery.

24 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I see your point, my concern was we still need the most productive player on the field, ideally not someone shaking off tons of rust.  I would question whether this would mutually benefit Canada by him being not the best player on the field at this phase of his recovery.

Unless he's the best player on the field we won't benefit? Davies at 60% is still going to be one of the best players on the pitch.

7 hours ago, frmr said:

To me it sounds like an awful idea, because I have a minimal sense of training and fitness. I guess I am just dumb, because I think that taking a 17 hour flight and shifting 6 time zones is not ideal for a daily training plan. Because I think Canada can't train systematically in any orderly way in a 3-match window, and less so when you arrive a few days before the first match. 

We're nuts to think waking up in your own bed, keeping on your prescribed diet, having regular daily medical controls and training in an expertly designed schedule is ideal for someone inactive for 3 months. 

I'm also a fool to think that because he is not in game shape, he has a higher risk of being injured, and maybe even more so getting late minutes vs. teams desperate for qualification points. Because I imagine that his chances of being tackled hard when not up to maximum tone vs. Costa Rica are exponentially higher than him working out with trainers somewhere on a nice grass pitch outside of Munich. Besides, no one ever said anything smart about playing on turf, or on tufts of grass over half-dirt like at BMO.

Call be a buffoon, but I thought keeping your club fully happy and being ready to play for them was actually better for Canada in the short, medium and long term than going to a party on the other side of the world. He has 2 month season left, if he can get back into a starting line-up and help with a league (which is close now) and CL run he'll solidify his spot for next season; if not, then maybe not. Canada fans have their priorities so straight that we still think players would be more useful to the national cause on a bench somewhere, trialling, or ideally, unattached. Call it a legacy point of view.

Let's not even talk about the logical use of budget for reasons that can only be described as immature caprice.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

To me it sounds like an awful idea, because I have a minimal sense of training and fitness. I guess I am just dumb, because I think that taking a 17 hour flight and shifting 6 time zones is not ideal for a daily training plan. Because I think Canada can't train systematically in any orderly way in a 3-match window, and less so when you arrive a few days before the first match. 

We're nuts to think waking up in your own bed, keeping on your prescribed diet, having regular daily medical controls and training in an expertly designed schedule is ideal for someone inactive for 3 months. 

I'm also a fool to think that because he is not in game shape, he has a higher risk of being injured, and maybe even more so getting late minutes vs. teams desperate for qualification points. Because I imagine that his chances of being tackled hard when not up to maximum tone vs. Costa Rica are exponentially higher than him working out with trainers somewhere on a nice grass pitch outside of Munich. Besides, no one ever said anything smart about playing on turf, or on tufts of grass over half-dirt like at BMO.

Call be a buffoon, but I thought keeping your club fully happy and being ready to play for them was actually better for Canada in the short, medium and long term than going to a party on the other side of the world. He has 2 month season left, if he can get back into a starting line-up and help with a league (which is close now) and CL run he'll solidify his spot for next season; if not, then maybe not. Canada fans have their priorities so straight that we still think players would be more useful to the national cause on a bench somewhere, trialling, or ideally, unattached. Call it a legacy point of view.

Let's not even talk about the logical use of budget for reasons that can only be described as immature caprice.

Rough St. Paddy's Day?

"We have had a good checkup today as well but it's just slowly getting back into it," Nagelsmann said Friday. "He probably will be back in about three to four weeks, at least that is still our goal. So he will be playing that Champions League game hopefully against Villarreal if everything works as usual."

No mention of WCQ boondoggle trip, nor Phonzie getting some conditioning minutes against CR/Jamaica/Panama... ...I dunno, it just seems both unlikely and imprudent to me.

Edited by GasPed

2 minutes ago, GasPed said:

"We have had a good checkup today as well but it's just slowly getting back into it," Nagelsmann said Friday. "He probably will be back in about three to four weeks, at least that is still our goal. So he will be playing that Champions League game hopefully against Villarreal if everything works as usual."

No mention of WCQ boondoggle trip, nor Phonzie getting some conditioning minutes against CR... ...I dunno, it just seems both unlikely and imprudent to me.

I agree, but sometimes emotions and sentiments get in the way of prudence and practicality though. I still don't think we see him, but it really does seem like work is being done behind the scenes to make it work. 

19 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Personally I think the Bayern effect is overblown now days. I could see them strongly pushing back or simply not letting it happen when he was their 20 million dollar prospect and I’m sure they still raise their opinion.

However, now that Davies is a bonafide global star I would imagine he has a lot of say in the matter. if he’s medically cleared and Davies expresses that he wants to go, I imagine Bayern will make this happen (but maybe send along a trainer to make sure he’s okay).

24 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

I hope he comes out to the Toronto just for the celebrations after the game *furiously knocks on wood*

People keep talking about the celebrations and I don’t doubt that there will be parties, but what exactly are these celebration plans? Street party? Is there some location for festivities designated already? Just curious

15 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

People keep talking about the celebrations and I don’t doubt that there will be parties, but what exactly are these celebration plans? Street party? Is there some location for festivities designated already? Just curious

If we qualify before the Jamaica it’d probably be in the supporters corner before/after the game or even at the airport. If we qualify with the Jamaica result they’ll definitely be in that corner for a solid 30 minutes

I do not see Davies playing this window but it would be nice if he could be with the team when they clinch Qatar. He could travel with the team and have a set training regiment to continue his recovery but not play. 

Qualifying for Qatar is BIG for Canada and all the players past and present that have gotten us to this point. I would hate to miss that experience when it finally happens especially if we auto-qualify as host in 2026.

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

Pretty ragged rondo by Bayern Munich standards. I'm assuming Davies also gets to play defense in the rondo sessions.

All their international players are gone except for Davies, Goretzka(just coming off injury) and Kimmich(stayed back because he and his wife are expecting their 3rd child anyday). A lot of youth players called in just for practice purposes.