The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Maybe I’m being a pedant but all of the pictures are of him in individual workouts not team training.  
That makes me believe he’s no where near a possibility for games in the next couple of weeks.  
It is still a big step and a positive development for him long term however.  

Edited by Meepmeep
Typo

13 minutes ago, Meepmeep said:

Maybe I’m being a pedant but all of the pictures are of him in individual workouts not team training.  
That makes me believe he’s no where near a possibility for games in the next couple of weeks.  

Bayern hope to have him ready for the Champions League quarterfinals in early April.

24 minutes ago, Meepmeep said:

With any injury athletes will train independently until they're ready for team training. The guy hasn't really exercised in two months. If you think about it, that's something he's probably never done before in his life. It would be irresponsible for him and also for the team to immediately drop him into team sessions

4 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

With any injury athletes will train independently until they're ready for team training. The guy hasn't really exercised in two months. If you think about it, that's something he's probably never done before in his life. It would be irresponsible for him and also for the team to immediately drop him into team sessions

I’m familiar and agree.  My post was mostly in response to the idea he might play this window and the conflation of Individual workouts and team training that was going on. 

1 hour ago, Meepmeep said:

I’m familiar and agree.  My post was mostly in response to the idea he might play this window and the conflation of Individual workouts and team training that was going on. 

Yes. I eluded to this a page or two back. You don't jump from individual training to playing games that quickly. Especially with something so important as your heart. 

44 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Phonzie and Drake could blow the roof off BMO if both are in attendance on the 27th, CSA make it happen. 

Hanging out with Drake is probably not good for the heart.....just ask yo gurl ;)

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Yes. I eluded to this a page or two back. You don't jump from individual training to playing games that quickly. Especially with something so important as your heart. 

Hanging out with Drake is probably not good for the heart.....just ask yo gurl ;)

The Drake Curse: Is It Real and Will It Continue? (sportscasting.com)

Hmmm!!  :)

Drake hung out with Alphonso Davies and other soccer stars in Toronto after last night's win (blogto.com)

Edited by Free kick

5 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Considering the reports that the inflammation has cleared, he's begun training, and will have had two weeks training under his belt I think the opportunity for him to fly just for the match in Toronto (to attend but not to play) is not unthinkable

It's totally unthinkable and entirely irresponsable. What for? 

For me this is totally dream world fantasy stuff, I can't believe people really think a professional paid millions a year, with a serious heart ailment after Covid, who has not even trained in almost 3 months, should just ignore the club who pays him for a hypothetical celebration which in soccer terms is not even that significant: people seem to prefer to risk a guy's proper recovery, and his good relationship with his club, for a run around the stadium and some drumming.

I find the whole line of argument childish: don't any of you understand what priorities are in life?

He has recovered from his heart condition (last scan was completely clear). He is simply out of condition and out of game shape. It is a completely valid question, and the rehab program to get back into shape could be conceivably carried out anywhere, especially if we are just talking about 1 direct flight to Toronto. There would be minimal missed rehab time, that he couldn't actually do when he was in the Toronto training facility. No one is talking about ignoring the club, but if it were up to the club, none of these players would be allowed to go ..ever. I'm sure Herdman has made a request as to his availability already and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him named to the roster

24 minutes ago, pod818 said:

He has recovered from his heart condition (last scan was completely clear). He is simply out of condition and out of game shape. It is a completely valid question, and the rehab program to get back into shape could be conceivably carried out anywhere, especially if we are just talking about 1 direct flight to Toronto. There would be minimal missed rehab time, that he couldn't actually do when he was in the Toronto training facility. No one is talking about ignoring the club, but if it were up to the club, none of these players would be allowed to go ..ever. I'm sure Herdman has made a request as to his availability already and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him named to the roster

I see your point about the issue being conditioning and not his heart (because he's recovered), but I disagree with that point of view because players can fully recover from injury and relapse shortly afterward, so I think it's perfectly reasonable to factor his heart into the equation. Will an increase in physical activity increase the risk of relapse, or is this issue completely in the rear view mirror? I don't think we know that yet, or at least I haven't seen anything about that. And because I don't know either way, and because we are talking about his heart, I am personally going to stay on the side of caution and hope he doesn't overdue it, but hey if Bayern and Canada agree that Davies flying in to train, play or cheer is fine, then I am all for it. I am just waiting to see it to believe it. 

Edited by Obinna

Honestly I think the uber-cautious approach has already been taken.  Not saying we will necessarily see him this window but I think he is probably fully cleared at this point.   I doubt it is like a muscle or joint injury where the risk of re-injury is a big consideration.  It think it is more like a condition he just had to get through - and it seems like Bayern has already been pretty conservative with his timeline to return.   

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly I think the uber-cautious approach has already been taken.  Not saying we will necessarily see him this window but I think he is probably fully cleared at this point.   I doubt it is like a muscle or joint injury where the risk of re-injury is a big consideration.  It think it is more like a condition he just had to get through - and it seems like Bayern has already been pretty conservative with his timeline to return.   

That's one way to look at it. I am thinking it is the exact opposite and it is why they've been pretty conservative up to this point. The bigger the risk of re-injury the more conservative the approach. All the more reason to believe he's in the clear though, I suppose. Hopefully you are right and Davies is in fact clear and moved past the uber-cautious phase of this thing. 

Edited by Obinna

If I am not mistaken, myocarditis is essentially an infection. You don't reaggravate an infection. You could get another infection, but him exercising isn't going to cause a new infection to his heart.

The only thing he would really need to do is get his endurance back, and perhaps regain a minimal loss in strength he may have suffered, in particular around his knees and ankles so they aren't prone to injury. He likely would be OK to play substitute minutes, but I kind of doubt he will end up doing that. Bayern already set the tone talking about the next round of Champions League. No doubt they want him to make his return with them rather than with Canada.

43 minutes ago, Kent said:

If I am not mistaken, myocarditis is essentially an infection. You don't reaggravate an infection. You could get another infection, but him exercising isn't going to cause a new infection to his heart.

The only thing he would really need to do is get his endurance back, and perhaps regain a minimal loss in strength he may have suffered, in particular around his knees and ankles so they aren't prone to injury. He likely would be OK to play substitute minutes, but I kind of doubt he will end up doing that. Bayern already set the tone talking about the next round of Champions League. No doubt they want him to make his return with them rather than with Canada.

It’s actually not an infection. It’s an inflammation reaction. It’s really unlikely to reoccur especially in a young healthy athlete 

7 minutes ago, RS said:

And he publicly jumped on the CanMNT bandwagon the night of Phonzie's goal vs. Panama. 

How can you "jump on the Canada bandwagon" when you're Canadian? That makes no sense. You can't gate-keep a Canadian national team from a Canadian EVEN if its a public figure like Drake. 

I get that your argument is that he only started showing public love when they were doing good, making him a bandwagon fan, but he is literally the ambassador of the Raptors and you don't see him posting the players every night when they are 12th in the East. 

Not trying to get to wrapped up in everything because I get what you're saying and its fair, but I just really don't like this "CanMNT bandwagon" mindset. There is no bandwagon, come one, come all. JB, Celine Dion, Trudeau, Drake, doesn't matter. 

Of course there is a bandwagon.  But do we care who jumps on??  Drake has every right to become a new fan, to get excited and he'll bring a lot of eyeballs to the team.  Lets use our melons, we are on cusp of qualifying for WC, we are in for 26 WC so there is going to be a big groundswell of interest and support over the next 4 years.  Lets not start poo pooing new fans when we all want the game to grow and flourish here in canada. 

I have slowly been working on my coworkers, Kara Lang and Sinclair at WC 20 years ago (screw Sweden!!) then again against Wambach/Solo (screw usa) in London, and Davies coming out party at the gold cup 2017.  And now I can turn on a game and the guys dont razz me, they ask who are the CDN on TFC and why do they keep playing the slow bald guy, is he the coachs son or something??  

37 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

How can you "jump on the Canada bandwagon" when you're Canadian? That makes no sense. You can't gate-keep a Canadian national team from a Canadian EVEN if its a public figure like Drake. 

22 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Of course there is a bandwagon.  But do we care who jumps on??  Drake has every right to become a new fan, to get excited and he'll bring a lot of eyeballs to the team. 

@OhCanadaOhBaby It was an expression, not gatekeeping. Relax. I was actually defending him from that silly "Drake curse" that he's associated with.

@Bison44 gets it.