The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

19 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

As much as I would like to see Davies with us for the next window, I think it's best if he stays with Bayern. Let them closely monitor him as he works his way back to full match fitness and is able to go a full 90.  His complete and total recovery is much more important

Yeah I hear ya. We all have a different point of view.  If he were to be cleared as 100% healthy, I’m from the school that you should be allowed to play.  I get being cautionary but that’s how I see it.

Just now, pod818 said:

I think a 10-15 minute stint of the bench against a Jamaica celebration game would be a good training regimen..don’t you?

I think it's incredibly wishful thinking, but not impossible. I think everyone is going to be careful with Davies, including Canada. I imagine like any return from injury they will start slow and gradually build him up. Has he even started team training yet? Re-injury is a thing and I imagine the same is true with the heart. 

2 hours ago, pod818 said:

I think a 10-15 minute stint of the bench against a Jamaica celebration game would be a good training regimen..don’t you??

he could just run back and forth a few times and not touch the ball for all I care

He's not going to be there. Even if he wasn't coming back from injury/illness (and with the coaching staff taking a careful approach to getting him back into match fitness), he hasn't played  at all this year so far. He wont be match fit in 10 days. 

Edited by LeoH037

29 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

He's not going to be there. Even if he wasn't coming back from injury/illness (and with the coaching staff taking a careful approach to getting him back into match fitness), he hasn't played  at all this year so far. He wont be match fit in 10 days. 

My point is he doesn’t need to be match fit. He could come as a cheerleader. The question is will Bayern let him go

1 minute ago, pod818 said:

My point is he doesn’t need to be match fit. He could come as a cheerleader. The question is will Bayern let him go

All the flying, Germany to Canada, then back and forth to Central America, then back to Germany so that he can be here for cheerleading. No chance Bayern would be happy with that, he needs to stay with Bayern where he can continue to receive the very best medical and training supervision.

1 hour ago, pod818 said:

Likely Bayern's coaching staff much rather have him use that time to work towards his match fitness. Still unsure how long that'll take, and pretty sure they want to have him fully fit by the time the UCL quarter comes around.

Edited by LeoH037

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Likely Bayern's coaching staff much rather have him use that time to work towards his match fitness. Still unsure how long that'll take, and pretty sure they want to have him fully fit by the time the UCL quarter comes around.

I agree with these points, but the player does have a say in these matters as well. And this may be the single biggest celebration in Canadian soccer in 35 years, Phonzie may really want to be there. Just not sure how much he would push

Edited by pod818

2 minutes ago, pod818 said:

I agree with these points, but the player does have a say in these matters as well. And this may be the single biggest celebration in Canadian soccer in 25 years, Phonzie may really want to be there. Just not sure how much he would push

The best man-manager in world football, Jurgen Klopp, places a great deal of importance on giving the players reasonable leeway when it comes to personal things. For example, when Mo Salah and Sadio Mane have been up for the African Player of the Year award, he's allowed them to travel for the ceremonies, even though they missed training, and once, Salah even missed a first-team match. If Bayern really want to look after one of their most valuable assets, they should at least consider how they could accommodate Phonz's undoubted desire to be part of the prospective celebration of his country's return to the World Cup after nearly 40 years.

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The best man-manager in world football, Jurgen Klopp, places a great deal of importance on giving the players reasonable leeway when it comes to personal things. For example, when Mo Salah and Sadio Mane have been up for the African Player of the Year award, he's allowed them to travel for the ceremonies, even though they missed training, and once, Salah even missed a first-team match. If Bayern really want to look after one of their most valuable assets, they should at least consider how they could accommodate Phonz's undoubted desire to be part of the prospective celebration of his country's return to the World Cup after nearly 40 years.

It's a health question. There is no personal interest in flying around for a party when it'd ruin 2 weeks training, which has to be monitored. 

He was allowed to visit Paris, his father went over to be with him. Let's not make silly comparisons with 2 days travel by a healthy player for an awards ceremony. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's a health question. There is no personal interest in flying around for a party when it'd ruin 2 weeks training, which has to be monitored. 

He was allowed to visit Paris, his father went over to be with him. Let's not make silly comparisons with 2 days travel by a healthy player for an awards ceremony. 

Considering the reports that the inflammation has cleared, he's begun training, and will have had two weeks training under his belt I think the opportunity for him to fly just for the match in Toronto (to attend but not to play) is not unthinkable

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I wonder how strong the correlation is between the fans attending the Jamaica game and the fans arguing the case for Phonzy in Toronto? :)

I could easily seeing Phonzie coming into Toronto for the match vs. Jamaica to celebrate with the boys. I mean Herman could symbolically name him to the roster anyways. He did name a bunch of injured players in the past for whatever reason. 

1 hour ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Considering he'll the reports that the inflammation has cleared, he's begun training, and will have had two weeks training under his belt I think the opportunity for him to fly just for the match in Toronto (to attend but not to play) is not unthinkable

Yep. I'm not fussed either way, but with the kickoff time and the fact that Europe hasn't changed their clocks yet, a not unrealistic option exists for Davies to fly to/from Toronto for the Jamaica game and only miss a single day of training at Bayern.