The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Just now, zeelaw said:

I can't see Bayern putting up us playing him three times again in the spring schedule...

You maybe right, but the flip side is that they bear some of the blame for starting him immediately after playing a 3 game window for us.  I get that it was Leverkusen but they also have some responsibility for this tweak.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

You maybe right, but the flip side is that they bear some of the blame for starting him immediately after playing a 3 game window for us.  I get that it was Leverkusen but they also have some responsibility for this tweak.  

Totally, that's on them. I don't think I've seen a sub after 40' like that before...

9 hours ago, zeelaw said:

I can't see Bayern putting up us playing him three times again in the spring schedule...

I wonder how much power the player has in this decision though. Davies was clearly not happy with being sent home in the prior window. Will Bayern risk pissing Davies off by forcing Canada not to play him? It’s clearly important to him that he plays as much as possible for Canada.

54 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I wonder how much power the player has in this decision though. Davies was clearly not happy with being sent home in the prior window. Will Bayern risk pissing Davies off by forcing Canada not to play him? It’s clearly important to him that he plays as much as possible for Canada.

exactly. No doubt Bayern can pressure Canada Soccer but I doubt Bayern would stand in Davies way if he really pushed for it. 

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

The player has all the power.  I don't know why people are so concerned with what Bayern thinks.  Davies signed a 5 year extension.  He's getting paid nicely, but probably less than half what another team would pay him.  He's a good soldier who has nothing but good things to say about the club and is showing loyalty.  Why would they want to piss a franchise player off?  Players can force themselves off clubs.   I'm not too concerned about Davies availability for country.  We only play 2 games next window anyways.

Edited by prairiecanuck

Davies is pretty well at the point where he’s irreplaceable for Bayern. They’re a different team with him on the field and I think it gives him a lot of power in this situation. Davies is pretty well set for life if he’s smart with his money, so I think it’s an easy choice to prioritize country over club. I do hope they figure out how to manage it though because I want to see Alphonso have a long healthy career.

Caught a few minutes of his stream on Twitch. When someone asked about his injury his response was something along the lines of, "It's not a big deal, it wasn't even my decision, I wanted to play tomorrow" Obviously that isn't a direct quote but as he was saying he wanted to play and it wasn't even my decision he stopped himself through visible anger and frustration. He then went on a seemingly PR-prepared statement about injuries and the importance of recovering and how rehab is really difficult but Bayern have the best staff.

Not exactly sure what the overall takeaways should be here. To me it sounds like he wanted to play but Bayern are treating him like a delicate wonderkid still. I mean this in more of the 'kid' sense, as to say they are babying him and he feels he is being held back. He also mentioned how he was "actually having fun playing in the game against Panama." In that more advanced role as well as on the wings, there could also be a frustration positionally with Bayern and desire to play further up where he 'actually had fun.' Although that could also be true, it mostly sounds like fuel for the Davies LW or LB debate. However, one thing for certain is that Phonzie's frustration in more ways than one, but specifically with Bayern's decision, speaks volumes to his current relationship with the club; touchy. 

7 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Caught a few minutes of his stream on Twitch. When someone asked about his injury his response was something along the lines of, "It's not a big deal, it wasn't even my decision, I wanted to play tomorrow" Obviously that isn't a direct quote but as he was saying he wanted to play and it wasn't even my decision he stopped himself through visible anger and frustration. He then went on a seemingly PR-prepared statement about injuries and the importance of recovering and how rehab is really difficult but Bayern have the best staff.

Not exactly sure what the overall takeaways should be here. To me it sounds like he wanted to play but Bayern are treating him like a delicate wonderkid still. I mean this in more of the 'kid' sense, as to say they are babying him and he feels he is being held back. He also mentioned how he was "actually having fun playing in the game against Panama." In that more advanced role as well as on the wings, there could also be a frustration positionally with Bayern and desire to play further up where he 'actually had fun.' Although that could also be true, it mostly sounds like fuel for the Davies LW or LB debate. However, one thing for certain is that Phonzie's frustration in more ways than one, but specifically with Bayern's decision, speaks volumes to his current relationship with the club; touchy. 

If what you're suggesting is true, it might point to it being purely a Bayern decision to pull him out of the El Salvador match even though Phonz wanted to stay and play, and Herdman was happy to have him in the squad. I can't see this injury keeping him out of both Edmonton matches, unless there's a serious recurrence in the next 3 weeks.

14 hours ago, archer21 said:

I honestly think Bayern and Canada's medical staff might know what's best for him - Phonzie's unique special attitude for Canada is so special and I think that resonates through the team, but we've seen young players get hurt playing too much at his age. 

Managers have to help guide young players who "might" still need to mature - I just don't want the young man getting hurt :(

10 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

It's also possible that Bayern is just being precautionary, looks at their squad and are confident they will take care of business, and are giving Phonsy some well deserved rest after 4 matches in 10 days or whatever it was

Thank god.  

34 minutes ago, Ruud said:

While Bayern must realize they have the future on their team, they must also realize that Canada won’t be in the qualification cycle next time around.  Next 6 months will be the last time to be making these trips for a long time.  

This is sad to me somehow. While it's great to have a spot for 2026, the intensity of these qualifiers and the number of matches finally being played on home soil has to be a highlight for many Canadian supporters. Were we to have a disappointing WC in 2026 (3 or 4 games, with maybe one win) and those were the only life or death matches in a 4-year stretch, I'd feel like we were missing out.

1 hour ago, zeelaw said:

I honestly think Bayern and Canada's medical staff might know what's best for him - Phonzie's unique special attitude for Canada is so special and I think that resonates through the team, but we've seen young players get hurt playing too much at his age. 

Managers have to help guide young players who "might" still need to mature - I just don't want the young man getting hurt :(

1000%

The attention these professional investments receive at that level is incredible, and incredibly good. 

The whole "Bayern won't let us play Davies" conspiracy theory is odd to me. The context of him missing the El Salvador wasn't just that he played 2 games. It was that he came off injured from that 2nd game. Or am I totally making up that memory? He was hurt near the corner flag, scooched over onto the field like a good CONCACAF boy, and signalled he was hurt, and got subbed out. If he was still good to play, I don't think they would have subbed him out with 13 minutes left and the game tied.

Like how would this conspiracy theory work out? Bayern on the phone with Herdman saying things like "We won't make up an injury, but then you have to promise to only play him against Honduras and El Salvador. You have to rest him against the USA." Then Herdman plays him against the USA and Bayern calls him up and says "Wrong move Herdman. Our people are outside the hotel now. Davies will be in a car with them in 10 minutes, or your wife doesn't live to see tomorrow." <wife screaming in the background>

If he has a bit of an injury at the time of the window, sure maybe they are overly cautious and tell us he is hurt. But Herdman is proving he will call injured players (much to our chagrin) and Davies is showing that he wants to play even when injured. So no doubt he would be interested in travelling just to have our doctors look at him and hope he gets cleared to play.

I think Herdman just made a smart call for the El Salvador game. We didn’t need Davies and wanted to do what was best for him and us long term. That good faith made it possible for us to start him 3 games without question in October IMO. 

The next windows shouldn’t be issues either. 2 games next month and then January Germany is on break. The last window might be do or die so there can’t be any reasonable club demands of Davies. 

43 minutes ago, Kent said:

The whole "Bayern won't let us play Davies" conspiracy theory is odd to me. The context of him missing the El Salvador wasn't just that he played 2 games. It was that he came off injured from that 2nd game. Or am I totally making up that memory? He was hurt near the corner flag, scooched over onto the field like a good CONCACAF boy, and signalled he was hurt, and got subbed out. If he was still good to play, I don't think they would have subbed him out with 13 minutes left and the game tied.

Like how would this conspiracy theory work out? Bayern on the phone with Herdman saying things like "We won't make up an injury, but then you have to promise to only play him against Honduras and El Salvador. You have to rest him against the USA." Then Herdman plays him against the USA and Bayern calls him up and says "Wrong move Herdman. Our people are outside the hotel now. Davies will be in a car with them in 10 minutes, or your wife doesn't live to see tomorrow." <wife screaming in the background>

If he has a bit of an injury at the time of the window, sure maybe they are overly cautious and tell us he is hurt. But Herdman is proving he will call injured players (much to our chagrin) and Davies is showing that he wants to play even when injured. So no doubt he would be interested in travelling just to have our doctors look at him and hope he gets cleared to play.

I think its just a matter of we're a bunch of fans on a forum and heighten anything we possibly can when there's missing pieces to our puzzle