The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

13 minutes ago, frmr said:

The cover of Mundo Deportivo, Davies pictured and David also mentioned. What a weird timeline we're living in.

I just find it overly random. I don't think Barça is scouting seriously at all. Too much is based on us fulfilling financial fair play. I don't think there's an objective analysis of how players play. The only detail I don't mind is Reinildo because David played with him at Lille, and we need fullback cover with Cancelo not back on loan.

Then Davies on the cover is just warming up for next week's Bayern match. 

I'll read the paper version later.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

With all the wonderful developments of talent on this squad, is it possible to say that Davies has become underrated or underappreciated? Even in a match like the most recent one, while others may have had better performance/impact, it's so plainly obvious to the eye that he's the most gifted player on the pitch and not by a small margin. And yet, one could argue that maybe only Hansi Flick has been able to channel and utilize those gifts in a way that didn't leave you feeling like there was a waste of talent/potential in front of your eyes. I don't think Marsch is doing badly in this respect, but I don't think he's really figured it out either and, with the depth of talent we're blessed now, he may not have to.

Edited by kohanz

I’ve been impressed with Phonzie since he’s been captain.  He’s become a more serious player on the pitch.  He’s been focused defensively for us and Bayern.  I think the way Jesse has handled the situation has helped  him come out of his shell a bit.  The decision to play him exclusively at LB was the right decision imo.

1 hour ago, kohanz said:

With all the wonderful developments of talent on this squad, is it possible to say that Davies has become underrated or underappreciated? Even in a match like the most recent one, while others may have had better performance/impact, it's so plainly obvious to the eye that he's the most gifted player on the pitch and not by a small margin. And yet, one could argue that maybe only Hansi Flick has been able to channel and utilize those gifts in a way that didn't leave you feeling like there was a waste of talent/potential in front of your eyes. I don't think Marsch is doing badly in this respect, but I don't think he's really figured it out either and, with the depth of talent we're blessed now, he may not have to.

I think this is arguable. He’s the best dribbler by a fair margin but he doesn’t stand out on Canada as being a level above in any other aspect - even speed now that Bombito has arrived. 

12 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think this is arguable. He’s the best dribbler by a fair margin but he doesn’t stand out on Canada as being a level above in any other aspect - even speed now that Bombito has arrived. 

It's definitely arguable, I will agree on that. For example, I think you could make the case that when it comes to football IQ, he's trailing David, Eustaquio and others.

What I mean by "to the eye" is his combination of athleticism, speed, body control, and dribbling. His technical dribbling has room for improvement, but when you combine what he's able to do with what we can do with his body, he's on another level. When he's "on", it looks like he's toying with the opposition. He leaves defenders behind him with ease, in the way a grown man would when playing against boys. I don't think any other Canada player can evoke that feeling consistently. That's the conundrum of his talent, because his ability to blow by defenders doesn't always lead to goals or chances as much as you might otherwise expect. Maybe that's what's missing: his movements and decisions in the final third, because often in the transitional area, he is superb.

I don't think it's comparable to Bombito in that sense, who can only achieve that speed without the ball. 

Edited by kohanz

It’s a double-edged sword at times, because he has so much (warranted) confidence in his skill, he sometimes avoids options to dish the ball earlier and then gets closed down by two or three opponents. There were a couple of those types of turnovers against Panama. It’s fine as a winger when you take risks going forward, but if you turn it over as a fullback with everyone in front of you, it’s dangerous — even for Phonzie. 

7 minutes ago, kohanz said:

It's definitely arguable, I will agree on that. For example, I think you could make the case that when it comes to football IQ, he's trailing David, Eustaquio and others.

What I mean by "to the eye" is his combination of athleticism, speed, body control, and dribbling. His technical dribbling has room for improvement, but when you combine what he's able to do with what we can do with his body, he's on another level. When he's "on", it looks like he's toying with the opposition. He leaves defenders behind him with ease, in the way a grown man would when playing against boys. I don't think any other Canada player can evoke that feeling consistently. That's the conundrum of his talent, because his ability to blow by defenders doesn't always lead to goals or chances as much as you might otherwise expect. Maybe that's what's missing: his movements and decisions in the final third, because often in the transitional area, he is superb.

I don't think it's comparable to Bombito in that sense, who can only achieve that speed without the ball. 

So what you’re describing is his dribbling skill at speed. Clearly a level above and thats what he’s built his career off. He’s one of the best in the history of this game when it comes to that specifically.

His decision making, final product, finishing, aerial ability, passing etc. is all around the same level of Canada teammates. 

I would even argue his decision making is a little below many of his teammates and that he hasn’t developed it as much because he hasn’t had to. The moment he does start to really pick his spots (and the right spots) for the dangling sprints, and play simpler at other times, he will be absolutely unstoppable, especially with the supporting cast we have now. Question is whether he can fully develop that situational awareness and maturity in the next year and a half. It is coming. There is definitely less hero-ball now.  If he can, though, I would say Marsch’s claims about Canada making some waves and going deep in 2026 aren’t as crazy as they seem. 

18 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

So what you’re describing is his dribbling skill at speed. Clearly a level above and thats what he’s built his career off. He’s one of the best in the history of this game when it comes to that specifically.

His decision making, final product, finishing, aerial ability, passing etc. is all around the same level of Canada teammates. 

That's fair. I think my initial take wasn't expressed well and comes off as hyperbolic. I guess what I mean is that he's got a skill that is world class, and the gap between him and everyone else in that specific area gives the appearance of being so tantalizing with the possibility of "more", if that makes sense? At times, it feels like that super-power he has should have him impacting the game more than he sometimes does. At the same time, I will agree that he's been better under Marsch than he was prior to that.

A counter example: Jonathan David is a class above when it comes to finishing, but watching him do that doesn't leave you feeling that he could be a lot more impactful.

Edited by kohanz

39 minutes ago, kohanz said:

That's fair. I think my initial take wasn't expressed well and comes off as hyperbolic. I guess what I mean is that he's got a skill that is world class, and the gap between him and everyone else in that specific area gives the appearance of being so tantalizing with the possibility of "more", if that makes sense? At times, it feels like that super-power he has should have him impacting the game more than he sometimes does. At the same time, I will agree that he's been better under Marsch than he was prior to that.

A counter example: Jonathan David is a class above when it comes to finishing, but watching him do that doesn't leave you feeling that he could be a lot more impactful.

That makes a lot more sense. I think we also need others finding him in transition moments a bit better. 

Davies has been playing much higher up the field when Bayern has possession under Kompany this season. Probably more so than  with Canada. He has been in good form for his club and clearly enjoying playing for his new manager. In the games I have watched his passing has improved or perhaps he is being more careful when passing.

The recent uproar over Pulisic leaving the USMNT early to go back to Milan can/should be contrasted with Davies, who was absolutely devastated when he was told (forced) to return to Bayern when he got injured against the US in WCQ.  Davies wouldn't have played against El Salvador but desperately wanted to be there anyhow.  On the other hand Pulisic decided to miss the big game against Mexico for "load management" reasons, noting that he's not injured and scheduled to start on Saturday for Milan.

So who would you rather have as captain of your national team?

8 minutes ago, GasPed said:

The recent uproar over Pulisic leaving the USMNT early to go back to Milan can/should be contrasted with Davies, who was absolutely devastated when he was told (forced) to return to Bayern when he got injured against the US in WCQ.  Davies wouldn't have played against El Salvador but desperately wanted to be there anyhow.  On the other hand Pulisic decided to miss the big game against Mexico for "load management" reasons, noting that he's not injured and scheduled to start on Saturday for Milan.

So who would you rather have as captain of your national team?

I'd rather have Davies, but I don't hold it against Pulisic at all for missing out on a friendly (even if it's against Mexico).

FIFA's going to have to find a way to reduce the number of games on the calendar because load management will become the norm if they don't.

57 minutes ago, RS said:

I'd rather have Davies, but I don't hold it against Pulisic at all for missing out on a friendly (even if it's against Mexico).

FIFA's going to have to find a way to reduce the number of games on the calendar because load management will become the norm if they don't.

The argument against Pulisic is "You don't have to play against Mexico, but it would be nice if you at least showed us some support with your presence."  I'm not necessarily holding it against him (there are many other players who would've done the same), but the contrast with Davies is stark.

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I just find it overly random. I don't think Barça is scouting seriously at all. Too much is based on us fulfilling financial fair play. I don't think there's an objective analysis of how players play. The only detail I don't mind is Reinildo because David played with him at Lille, and we need fullback cover with Cancelo not back on loan.

Then Davies on the cover is just warming up for next week's Bayern match. 

I'll read the paper version later.

There's also another report up on Sport about Barça expressing interest now since Real Madrid has yet to make a move.

3 hours ago, RS said:

....FIFA's going to have to find a way to reduce the number of games on the calendar because load management will become the norm if they don't.

Case in point: David has a game tomorrow for Lille vs Monaco. That's the 2nd time in a row where Lille have had a game on the Friday after the FIFA break. Crazy when you consider he played the whole game Tuesday, has to fly back to France and then play a very important league match with 2 days rest.

17 hours ago, frmr said:

The cover of Mundo Deportivo, Davies pictured and David also mentioned. What a weird timeline we're living in.

Read the article inside, must say: it is unreal to read about the 4 key transfer options, with pics, and two are Canadian. Then the paper does not say anything about that, as if it were unimportant. No bias against us, just plain facts.

Nothing particularly new about the article though. In fact, the clearer option for Barça and better argued is the CB Tah at Leverkusen. 

The case for Davies has to do with Flick as well, as a smaller article beside the larger one pointed out. Flick being the guy that got him his start at Bayern, found his spot as a LB, so that the idea is that Flick would be a liaison for possible negotiations. 

The David connection was made weakly, for what it's worth. However, since David would probably be thrilled by 12-14 million euros before taxes, that is feasible. Davies with expectations of 22-24 million from Madrid would probably not be, Barça does not have that kind of money as we stand.

2 hours ago, A.D.I.D.A.S. said:

There's also another report up on Sport about Barça expressing interest now since Real Madrid has yet to make a move.

Thanks for the tip. Both Mundo Deportivo and Sport are Barcelona based and support the club, though the first is more conservative and the latter centre left, which comes out in their critiques of BoD and club presidents, but not so much related to the football.

I see 2 days ago Sport set up todays', as they did an article arguing that for Madrid Davies was a luxury they did not really need. That the team had gaps, with Carvajal injured, on the other side, and has been really missing some midfield creativity with Kroos retired. Not so much at LB. Arguing that Madrid was probably going to go to the January window and not wait. 

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/real-madrid/davies-lujo-innecesario-109329980

There are actually a couple Davies related articles in Sport today, I need to crash but here is a link:
https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/contacto-barca-alphonso-davies-109537467?pimec-source=www.sport.es&pimec-widget=48&pimec-config=601&pimec-mod=0&pimec-pos=1

Most fans in the comments think the news is bogus and not serious, mostly because FCB can't compete for expensive elite players at this time.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Barcelona are a prestigious club... but please god no! Especially since he would be signing on a free, he'll just be a potential lever to relive what financial burdens Barca has in a year or two.

Happened too many times to say otherwise.