The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

If somebody told us here 5 or 6 years ago that a Canadian player would REFUSE a 15 million euro a year contract we would of sent him to the looney bin.

The fact that it's in real life is unbelievable for canadian soccer fans!

Not in Football Manager... Not on Fifa... Not in PES...

It's in real life!

CHAMPIONS LEAGUES 24/25 POTS:

Pot 1

Real Madrid
Man City
Bayern München
PSG
Liverpool
Inter
Borussia Dortmund
FC Barcelona 
RB Leipzig

Pot 2

Bayern Leverkusen
Atletico Madrid
Atalanta
Juventus
Benfica
Arsenal
Club Brugge
Shakhtar
AC Milan

Pot 3

Feyenoord
Sporting CP
PSV
GNK Dinamo
Salzburg
LOSC
Crvena Zvezda
Young Boys
Celtic

Pot 4

S. Bratislava
AS Monaco
Sparta Praha
Aston Villa
Bologna
Girona
Stuttgart
Sturm Graz
Brest

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Bayern opponents in the Champions League - not the order of the games. 

PSG
Barcelona
Shakhtar
GNK Dinamo
Feyenoord
S. Bratislava
Aston Villa

I think they don't do the fixtures until Saturday. 

Like the other teams that do a winter break, Bayern may have a challenge come January.

19 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Davies not starting today.  Worried Kompany may have the directive from Hoeness to let Davies rot away on the bench this season.

I doubt it. He didn't seem to be on the same page with Gabry last match. When Pavlovic dropped into his spot in possession Davies either occupied the same space as Gnabry or aimlessly drifted inside. To be fair to him though, I didn't love that tactic anyway, but I'm sure he'll get more chances. 

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I doubt it. He didn't seem to be on the same page with Gabry last match. When Pavlovic dropped into his spot in possession Davies either occupied the same space as Gnabry or aimlessly drifted inside. To be fair to him though, I didn't love that tactic anyway, but I'm sure he'll get more chances. 

I like the tactic/ or at least the formation a lot. Though they don't seem to know it that well yet.

It is similar to what Leverkusen play with Schick on the pitch and it lets some of Bayern's best players do what they do best. Musiala, Olise, Kimmich and Pavlovic are all where I would want them. 

It basically needs Davies to take Tel's spot in it. Which may be tough. But if he did I think he would thrive, similar to Frimpong on the other side for Leverkusen. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I like the tactic/ or at least the formation a lot. Though they dont seem to know it that well yet.

It is similar to what Leverkusen play with Schick on the pitch and it lets some of Bayern's best players do what they do best. Musiala, Olise, Kimmich and Pavlovic are all where I would want them. 

It basically Davies needs to takes Tel's spot in it. Which my be tough. But if he did I think he would thrive, similar to Frimpong on the other for Leverkusen. 

I don't mind it as a tactic, but I feel like Davies would be more comfortable and effective taking up the wider position rather than moving inside. More like how Barca seems to using Balde from the little I've seen. But Gnabry usually seemed to be hugging the touch line 

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

What is the formation they’re playing with? FotMob has a strange set up with 3 CBs, including Guerrero. Are they playing with two AMs, Pavlovic the only DM? 

I'm not watching today, but last game Davies was part of a back 4 out of possession, but in possession Pavlovic assumed his role and basically drifted into an attacking mid role with Gabry on the left wing 

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

What is the formation they’re playing with? FotMob has a strange set up with 3 CBs, including Guerrero. Are they playing with two AMs, Pavlovic the only DM? 

As I said that is similar to Leverkusen.

I think they are getting a little too cute with with the movement/switching in a system they don't know super well yet but I would say Kimmich is a DM who sometimes drifts wide. 

15 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I don't mind it as a tactic, but I feel like Davies would be more comfortable and effective taking up the wider position rather than moving inside. More like how Barca seems to using Balde from the little I've seen. But Gnabry usually seemed to be hugging the touch line 

In a firm version of this system, the wide player (wingback/midfielder) would always stay wide and would be responsible to cover back more that Tel is. Which I think is perfect for Davies, rather the CB/Fullback hybrid. 

Edit: Unfortunately Coman is a more like for like substitution for Tel.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

As I said that is similar to Leverkusen.

I think they are getting a little too cute with with the movement/switching in a system they don't know super well yet but I would say Kimmich is a DM who sometimes drifts wide. 

In a firm version of this system, the wide player (wingback/midfielder) would always stay wide and would be responsible to cover back more that Tel is. Which I think is perfect for Davies, rather the CB/Fullback hybrid. 

Edit: Unfortunately Coman is a more like for like substitution for Tel.

I don't always agree with Alejandro Moreno on ESPN, but post-game, in his polite way, ripped Kompany's tactics / set-up.