The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

@InglewoodJack they had the usual list of jerseys from BM “known” players  - selling a mix of UEFA and BM in the team shop post match , hence me looking at the list of pre made kits and no AD19- so my post

And yeah, the game was lit - a great experience for my lad and I and made the 50 minute subway ride worth it back to Munich central from the stadium when my Serbs nicked a point at the death 

#gocanadago 🇨🇦

• 2 weeks later...

You know Kone is getting all the glory (and deservedly) for his winning PK, but Davies deserves a huge shoutout for his.  10th kick, absolutely must-make, probably the most pressure of any of the PK-takers, and he steps up and buries it in the top corner.  That's exactly what you want/need your captain to do in games like this.   👍  

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

You know Kone is getting all the glory (and deservedly) for his winning PK, but Davies deserves a huge shoutout for his.  10th kick, absolutely must-make, probably the most pressure of any of the PK-takers, and he steps up and buries it in the top corner.  That's exactly what you want/need your captain to do in games like this.   👍  

Unsaveable penalty but takes a bit of confidence because you have a better chance of skying it.  Picked his spot, he said, and executed.

Posted (edited)

The idea of him playing in a more constrained, disciplined role against top teams is something we needed.  It means no hero-ball wastefulness, utilizing him to help lock down our defence, and more strategically picking his moments to jump into attack.  As someone else said, if we want to turn him loose in attack to bang in a few goals against weaker teams so be it.  But when we truly want to compete, this is what we need from him.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I was really pleased with his play in the quarterfinal.  

Allaying some of my fears about him playing there against good teams.  Very solid, did his job.

Is it still in the back of my mind that he is a very good finisher and that we could use that at times closer to the opposition net?  I won't lie and say no. 

13 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Is it still in the back of my mind that he is a very good finisher and that we could use that at times closer to the opposition net?  I won't lie and say no. 

I still would like him to be more attacking LB than stay-at-home but there has to be a pragmatism depending upon the opponent and game situation as well as the personnel in front of him.

But, at the moment, he has quelled the criticism of hero ball from his critics.  Very solid performance, as you said.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, GasPed said:

It's more than that. Davies' PK vs Belgium was something that had the potential to linger around discussion of him for his entire career.

To see him step up and do that, on this stage, with a massive game on the line like that, cool as ice… well that is a reset of the whole conversation around Davies and PKs, and Davies in the most stressful moments generally. That is priceless.

Edited by ensco

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Ya but In the end, we'd score more goals while also giving up more goals.  Unfortunately we just don't have anyone to replace what he does in the back. We need him back there in the big matches.

I just love the current setup and Marsch's logical approach to finding the intricate balance of playing the best 11 in their most suitable spots.  It's a breath of fresh air.

My only question/comment for Marsch would be not playing Choiniere that crazy hot night in Kansas.  Choiniere is built for that.  Even if you're giving up a little in one specific skill, we surely would've made up for it with his stamina and fitness.  I guess he just doesn't rate him, or maybe a little injury?

Edited by costarg

At the end of the game he must have been getting a bit frustrated with not really getting a chance to carry the ball. He held onto it for a good 20-30 seconds trying to beat a couple people. Even when they got a leg on he was able to maintain possession. 

It's difficult with him, because there is no doubt he is the most talented player on the field, but he doesn't really get a chance to show that.

Posted (edited)

In agreement that he had a strong performance in the QF.  Some key break-ups to snuff out potential danger, and dribbling passages from deep out of danger starting counter-attacks.  

We didn't need him in attack that match, as we created way more than enough high-quality chances, so I am very impressed with his "buy-in" to the game plan.

I'm guessing we may see him switch up to more of an attacking role if we are in need of a goal / after we make our initial subs.

Edited by TOcanadafan

As Bombito & Derek continue to get more playing time together, Kone with his pace and size is back starting and the players more experienced with the new tactics,  I think Marsch will slowly release the attacking restraints on Davies. Its only been 6 games and he has rightly focused on defence first.

6 hours ago, ensco said:

It's more than that. Davies' PK vs Belgium was something that had the potential to linger around discussion of him for his entire career.

To see him step up and do that, on this stage, with a massive game on the line like that, cool as ice… well that is a reset of the whole conversation around Davies and PKs, and Davies in the most stressful moments generally. That is priceless.

Including shootouts, Davies is now 3 of 4 from the spot for Canada. I think at this point you have to consider that he might be a decent to good penalty-taker, whatever that might mean. Not first choice if David or one or two others are on the pitch, but definitely in your first 5 if you're going to a shootout.

Davies has been quietly very solid this tournament. And that makes sense because if Davies isn't caught significantly out of position there are very few players that can get really clear of him....at least not that I can think of in Concacaf/Connembol. And under Marsch's system I don't think it's very easy for him to get out of position too much.

It would be cool if he were able to drive further up the field at times but I'm not sure you do that unless it's weaker opposition.

Also the smaller fields in this tournament may be hampering playing on the wings.

17 hours ago, GasPed said:

I was thinking to myself ,Why could he have not done that vs Belgium . But other than that proud of the Edmontonian

Unless he has a howler in the next two games, I think Davies is going to make team of the tournament. Has been quietly solid and the captaincy has done exactly what we wanted, which is less hero ball and more selective when to jump into the attack, all while being solid at the back. 

Fwiw I think Crepeau, Eustaquio, Schaffleburg, Johnston and one of the CBs have a chance to get into team of the tournament as well, but for me the most likely at this juncture is Davies:

GK - Emilio Martinez (maybe Crepeau?)

LB - Alphonso Davies

RB - ? (maybe Johnston)

CB - ? (maybe an Argie or Uruguayan)?

CB - ? (maybe a Colombian or Canadian)?

CM - James Rodriguez 

CM - McAllister

CM - an Argie or Uruguayan (outside shout for Eustaquio)?

FW - Luis Diaz

FW - Laturo Martinez 

FW - Toluca player for Uruguay? Maybe someone else (outside shout for Shaff)?