The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

He was hanging out at the game with notable CANMNT prospect Dieu-Merci Michel.

Even if camp started yesterday, I’m sure the team would’ve allowed an exception for Davies to go watch the oilers, considering how much fanfare is around “Canada’s Team”, only right that Canada’s most famous athlete that was not on the ice make it out.

30 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Thats awesome, came from the same city and youth program if I'm not mistaken? Good mentor to have and nice to seem them having a relationship

They’re both from Edmonton, that I know, unsure about the youth program. I believe they have the same agent or at least are repped by the same agency. Feel like I’ve seen them train together in the off-season too.

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

They’re both from Edmonton, that I know, unsure about the youth program. I believe they have the same agent or at least are repped by the same agency. Feel like I’ve seen them train together in the off-season too.

Davies was definitely Edmonton Strikers (a couple of my friends' kid played against him) and I believe thats where his agent came from; Michel was at that BTB Academy.

Though Davies was doing some (promotional?) work with BTB at some point.  I remember a local-boy-does-good news story that my brother sent me, maybe the summer after his first full year at Bayern.  He mentioned the academy as part of the interview; not sure whether Michel would have still been there or not.    

53 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Davies was definitely Edmonton Strikers (a couple of my friends' kid played against him) and I believe thats where his agent came from; Michel was at that BTB Academy.

Though Davies was doing some (promotional?) work with BTB at some point.  I remember a local-boy-does-good news story that my brother sent me, maybe the summer after his first full year at Bayern.  He mentioned the academy as part of the interview; not sure whether Michel would have still been there or not.    

I think you are right- I follow DMM on Instagram, he posts a lot about BTB. I believe he even coaches some of their youth teams or has coached a tournament there at some point recently.

If I remember correctly, Michel has trialed at Bayern (along with Club Brugge and I believe others). You’d have to assume Davies helped make that happen or at the very least, connections his agent made via Davies. 

Shame Vitoria B was relegated last year, as their new league’s stats aren’t supported by FotMob or Transfermarkt, so aside from Instagram posts about scoring goals here and there, no clue how he did last year. He was high on my list of prospects, but I think he’s turning 21 this year- hope Vitoria’s A team gives him a shot this upcoming year.

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Who would Davies primarily be competing with for playing time if he were to move to Madrid, Mendy?

Mendy. Then they have a young LB from Rayo, Fran García think it is. And could get a player back for cheap from Girona. 

You don't always have to have spectacular fullbacks, Carvajal was mvp of the Champions final and he's rather understated normally.

Looking like Bayern may just let Davies’ contract expire and hope that he resigns  during the season. 

I heard something earlier today that the deal his agent was looking for was close to 4 years/€100M with a $15M player/agent signing bonus. Starting to think that the talk of his rep being in way over his head might have a bit of truth to it. 

45 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Looking like Bayern may just let Davies’ contract expire and hope that he resigns  during the season. 
I heard something earlier today that the deal his agent was looking for was close to 4 years/€100M with a $15M player/agent signing bonus. Starting to think that the talk of his rep being in way over his head might have a bit of truth to it. 

€25M a season is pretty up there. 

Edited by mpg_29

27 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

€25M a season is pretty up there. 

Plettenberg is sticking to reporting 20M but still up there.

Especially considering the players they are supposedly willing to sell to get wages off the books.  Could go a long way to explaining why a bunch of managers rejected them. 

Doesn't feel like a great situation there but if Davies plays hard for a new contract elsewhere, he doesn't suffer too much in the end.  Fun to see the focus on young and hungry (and cheap) under Kompany, if you are a semi neutral - on the other hand. 

Everything changes if Real Madrid actually do something instead of just pretending in the press - which many people believed.  But they always have been looking for him on the cheap and now they can wait a year and get him on a free.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Davies will leave because of the money and he wants big money...Bayern refuses to cave to him so if he finds another club willing to pay for him, then he is all but gone 

Interesting development.  So he likely won’t sign a new contract with Bayern this year, it sounds like Madrid won’t bid this year, and he would be looking at seeing out the remaining year of his contract and then seeing what opportunities materialize as a free agent.  

33 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He’s quite literally won everything with Bayern and has been there since 18 so I don’t blame him for wanting a new challenge. 

Yeah me too and plus doesn't Davies have a verbal agreement with Madrid already in place or?

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He’s quite literally won everything with Bayern and has been there since 18 so I don’t blame him for wanting a new challenge. 

Lots of bias from me, but is going to a team that just won the Champions League and their league, a real challenge?

On the other hand, new manager, changing of the guard player wise (if they get their transfer way), did not show his best last year, playing for a new contract there or elsewhere, chance maybe to play higher.

I know where the challenge is for me. If that is actually what he looking for.

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Lots of bias from me, but is going to a team that just won the Champions League and their league, a real challenge?

On the other hand, new manager, changing of the guard player wise (if they get their transfer way), did not show his best last year, playing for a new contract there or elsewhere, chance maybe to play higher.

It isn't but it gives him the best chance to add silverware to his resume

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

It isn't but it gives him the best chance to add silverware to his resume

It would be a challenge with respect to whether he can be a regular in the squad, make an impact for the club, etc.

From that perspective, all players going to Madrid are going there for the challenge, including Mbappe. 

For Mbappe, the challenge would be how many trophies can he lead the club to, can he surpass the impact Ronaldo had at the club, etc., whereas for Davies it's more about can he win and keep a starting spot. 

Re: Transfer fee

Yeah, sucks for the Caps, but I think if you are RM you are happy. For Bayern though? I guess it's kicking the can down the road? Still odd they wouldn't take the bag now, but if clubs are low-balling Bayern then I get it.... 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It would be a challenge with respect to whether he can be a regular in the squad, make an impact for the club, etc.

From that perspective, all players going to Madrid are going there for the challenge, including Mbappe. 

For Mbappe, the challenge would be how many trophies can he lead the club to, can he surpass the impact Ronaldo had at the club, etc., whereas for Davies it's more about can he win and keep a starting spot. 

Re: Transfer fee

Yeah, sucks for the Caps, but I think if you are RM you are happy. For Bayern though? I guess it's kicking the can down the road? Still odd they wouldn't take the bag now, but if clubs are low-balling Bayern then I get it.... 

I agree with a lot of that 

Couple points:

- Mbappe has never won the Champions League and him winning the league in Spain will be a bit more of a challenge than in France (same can be  said for Davies).

- Davies wasn't always starting with Bayern last year, so regaining that locked-in spot would be a similar challenge to that at Madrid, for me.

Similarly, his stock goes way up if he can lead (and I think there is an opportunity to be more of a leader with the changes) a "struggling" Bayern back to dominance.  Nothing as dramatic in winning another Champions League with Real.

But really we want him where he will play.