The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

52 minutes ago, masster said:

I understand that Davies has a sponsorship agreement with BMO, but the extent to which he is going to cover up the CIBC logo on all of his Canada Soccer gear is really starting to rub me the wrong way. Look at the below video...Davies is the only player to wear his manzier on the outside of his training top, purposefully on top of the CIBC logo. In the pregame warm-up prior to yesterday's match, he was wearing a different training top from the rest of the squad, one without the CIBC logo. Then after the match, when all of the other Canada substitutes were wearing pinnies with the CIBC logo, Davies had his on backwards and inside out.

This reminds me of the rhetoric we were reading in those anti-CSB player statements. Is this really the type of behaviour we want from a team leader and potential captain?

Reads to me like CIBC needs to pony up the sponsorship dollars and give Davies a reason to rep them instead of BMO, who I wouldn’t be shocked is his biggest sponsor.

Despite the unfortunate presence of corporatism in Canadian nationalism, I don’t think this loyalty extends to the banks, so I doubt fans will have an issue that Davies isn’t repping CIBC.

Does speak to his level of professionalism that he’s this good at sticking to his contractual obligations. I mean, he’s plastered in CIBC logos and yet none show up. 

1 hour ago, masster said:

I understand that Davies has a sponsorship agreement with BMO, but the extent to which he is going to cover up the CIBC logo on all of his Canada Soccer gear is really starting to rub me the wrong way. Look at the below video...Davies is the only player to wear his manzier on the outside of his training top, purposefully on top of the CIBC logo. In the pregame warm-up prior to yesterday's match, he was wearing a different training top from the rest of the squad, one without the CIBC logo. Then after the match, when all of the other Canada substitutes were wearing pinnies with the CIBC logo, Davies had his on backwards and inside out.

This reminds me of the rhetoric we were reading in those anti-CSB player statements. Is this really the type of behaviour we want from a team leader and potential captain?

Ya, but we don't know what's in the contract.  I'd also tape up some logos for a few million, maybe even for a ice cream cone.

4 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

With him starting both games at LB it seems Jesse has him locked in there going forward.   I’m sure if we need a goal he can push up but I think consistently playing him at LB is good for us and him…

At least it's the first time we've seen a fully committed LB role for Davies make sense. 

Not sure it was because of the rivals, but all it means if it continues is that vs Chile and Peru he'll have more opportunities to get forward and so will Johnston/Laryea.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

At least it's the first time we've seen a fully committed LB role for Davies make sense. 

Not sure it was because of the rivals, but all it means if it continues is that vs Chile and Peru he'll have more opportunities to get forward and so will Johnston/Laryea.

He's there I think because we are short on options, but it has worked great with Millar against great teams.  

However, we do need create more chances, honestly, to realistically win games. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

I wonder if we just see Davies at LB against the top sides but against middle to lower sides we see him playing further upfield. I guess we will see if that transpires at the Copa. 

I'm onboard with this.

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

I wonder if we just see Davies at LB against the top sides but against middle to lower sides we see him playing further upfield. I guess we will see if that transpires at the Copa. 

For Argentina, you have to have Davies in at LB and then against Peru and Chile, you see him in a more attacking role 

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The Mendy contract is up in 2025, he's thirty years old, so Davies could go on a free transfer next summer and Bayern would get nothing except his services for another year. 

Davies is actually playing this smart...stay at Bayern for a year and then leave to go to Madrid on a free transfer. Really smart move.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The Mendy contract is up in 2025, he's thirty years old, so Davies could go on a free transfer next summer and Bayern would get nothing except his services for another year. 

I would have never guessed that Mendy was 30! Looks much younger 

3 hours ago, reggietfc said:

he is at the oilers game tonight,when does the copa camp start?

I think they're all asked to fly in Thursday. Maybe he got an extra day. If all got to arrive Friday for me that's late.

I think Marsch needed to have then in by now personally.