The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Same guy as above saying Bayern wants to sell these guys, doesn’t mention Davies. Looks like they went to get rid of the guy who took Davies’ spot last year and the guy whose position Davies wants to take next year.

If there is anything close to a mouthpiece for the club, it would be him.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Same guy as above saying Bayern wants to sell these guys, doesn’t mention Davies. Looks like they went to get rid of the guy who took Davies’ spot last year and the guy whose position Davies wants to take next year.

It seems Bayern wants to keep Davies or he wants to stay there 

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

He's pricing Bayern out. He wants to go to Madrid, and be paid less money.

The time is now for a move.

I love that he wants to go to Madrid because it ensures he wins more Champions League titles 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, narduch said:

Kompany could be out this time next year as well.

Why take the risk

Thinking of Ancelotti's "Mendy's the best defensive left back in the world" comment from a few months ago and the fact that Real do really want him on the cheap.

Maybe you risk staying where you are valued more, have a confirmed starting role, could have a better pathway to leadership and playing higher, and reading between the lines, are getting paid more?

If being purely financial, the contract is the contract, no matter who the manager is.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

19 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Thinking of Ancelotti's "Mendy's the best defensive left back in the world" comment from a few months ago and the fact that Real do really want him on the cheap.

Maybe you risk staying where you are valued more, have a confirmed starting role, could have a better pathway to leadership and playing higher, and reading between the lines, are getting paid more?

If being purely financial, the contract is the contract, no matter who the manager is.

didnt he come off the bench most of 2024

30 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Theo Hernandez was played off the park by Alistair Johnston and Ferland Mendy had an unremarkable bench appearance yesterday. Big Davies game as far as the “who is the best LB in the world” twitter discourse goes. 

If so, it is a reactionary one, to be fair  They did their job, against what we know (even if the internet doesn't) are pretty decent attackers.  A lot like Davies. 

47 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

didnt he come off the bench most of 2024

Who? Davies?  I think the point is that a new coach - Kompany - is looking to move people in and out (according to legitmately close sources) and one of the people he really wants in is Davies (same sources.) 

Of games he was available, he started 9/17 games in all competiton under Tuchel in 2024 (from a quick count)

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Theo Hernandez was played off the park by Alistair Johnston and Ferland Mendy had an unremarkable bench appearance yesterday. Big Davies game as far as the “who is the best LB in the world” twitter discourse goes. 

Yeah that's a bit of an exaggeration.  AJ held his own, but Hernandez got past him a couple times, which is fine because Hernandez actually is a really good left back/wingback.  There's a difference (not necessarily large, but it's there) between the best right back in the Scottish League and the best left back in Serie A.

And Davies definitely held his own against Dembele, but it's not like he dominated him.  He did dominate his teammate, Coman, though - who in turn demonstrated the difference between a Bundesliga winger and an MLS defender...

3 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

With him starting both games at LB it seems Jesse has him locked in there going forward.   I’m sure if we need a goal he can push up but I think consistently playing him at LB is good for us and him…

It also helps stabilize the backline, just like he did at Bayern. 

Playing Marsch's high backline while pressing means there is a lot of field and space behind the CBs.  Having Davies and Bombito able to make up that ground is crucial.  It wouldn't work with Miller and Hiebert at LB.

I understand that Davies has a sponsorship agreement with BMO, but the extent to which he is going to cover up the CIBC logo on all of his Canada Soccer gear is really starting to rub me the wrong way. Look at the below video...Davies is the only player to wear his manzier on the outside of his training top, purposefully on top of the CIBC logo. In the pregame warm-up prior to yesterday's match, he was wearing a different training top from the rest of the squad, one without the CIBC logo. Then after the match, when all of the other Canada substitutes were wearing pinnies with the CIBC logo, Davies had his on backwards and inside out.

This reminds me of the rhetoric we were reading in those anti-CSB player statements. Is this really the type of behaviour we want from a team leader and potential captain?

11 minutes ago, masster said:

I understand that Davies has a sponsorship agreement with BMO, but the extent to which he is going to cover up the CIBC logo on all of his Canada Soccer gear is really starting to rub me the wrong way. Look at the below video...Davies is the only player to wear his manzier on the outside of his training top, purposefully on top of the CIBC logo. In the pregame warm-up prior to yesterday's match, he was wearing a different training top from the rest of the squad, one without the CIBC logo. Then after the match, when all of the other Canada substitutes were wearing pinnies with the CIBC logo, Davies had his on backwards and inside out.

This reminds me of the rhetoric we were reading in those anti-CSB player statements. Is this really the type of behaviour we want from a team leader and potential captain?

I'm shocked anyone would notice this, let alone care.

21 minutes ago, masster said:

He is very likely following a contractual obligation.