The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

The key for me was Kane hitting the side netting after Phonzie's wonder goal, I thought he should have scored and who knows if there was a way back 2 goals down late, I don't like either of these great teams btw!

9 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Tuchel brings in Kim, the guy who single-handedly costed them the 1st leg. And takes off Kane, Sane, Musiala. Absolute game suicide.

Even with an expected tie and going into extra periods, you can't seriously think Chopo Mouting is your man. They took off all their scoring threats. 

Then you have Vini creating havoc and they don't even double team him, when it's the one obvious threat you have to control. On the last goal Madrid had two guys out there on the left and one lame defender. 

Tuchel is a very confused manager. Ancelotti in comparison, you can have guys with poor games, but everyone is impeccably in the right place 95% of the time.

Neuer was having a great game too until that boo-boo. Our boy pretty much played impeccably though and I feel bad that he got denied the "Davies goal takes Bayern to Champions League Final" because of errors his teammate and yes, even his coach - I can understand taking of Sane and perhaps Musiala if they weren't fit, but not Kane. That was absurd, and no doubt the ESPN FC panel is going to have a field day with that one, other than maybe that Norwegian guy who keeps defending Teuchel no matter what.

17 minutes ago, frmr said:

Too bad Phonsie won't be in the final but that goal was one of the best goals scored by a Canadian ever. I'll take that. Now move to Real next season, I'm sick of Bayern.

A signal to Florentino Perez to get him the hell out of Munich lol.

If Davies does leave Bayern for Madrid (which I hope today helped cement that move).  It would remind me of another famous footballer who had left for Madrid after a special goal scoring performance off the bench in the knockouts of the champions league.  

8 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Surprised no one has mentioned how familiar that goal is. 

Well, it was from the opposite side.  And one was the winning goal, while other just made the ending even more tragic.  That said, both goals were brilliant.

Another odd piece of data: Joselu with the brace belongs to Espanyol, and is the lowest paid player on the Madrid roster, they are paying his million and a half euro Espanyol salary while his home club tries to crawl out of 2nd division.

Agree with @Gian-Luca that the narrative won't be centering on Davies at all, anymore, but it is also true that whoever does go to coach Bayern may insist he stays and ask for Bayern to up their offer.

4 minutes ago, Corazon said:

If Davies does leave Bayern for Madrid (which I hope today helped cement that move).  It would remind me of another famous footballer who had left for Madrid after a special goal scoring performance off the bench in the knockouts of the champions league.  

Please, I really can't figure who it might be. 

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agree with @Gian-Luca that the narrative won't be centering on Davies at all, anymore, but it is also true that whoever does go to coach Bayern may insist he stays and ask for Bayern to up their offer.

Thus far quite predictably, all the post-match discussion I am seeing is about Kane (whether it's the so called curse or Teuchel taking him off) and the premature & incorrect offside call to deny the Bayern equalizer. And to be fair to Bayern, I do think they were ripped off there, but that only matters because of their own errors that caused them to relinquish the lead so late on in the first place. The fact that De Ligt had to play centre-forward in the dying minutes of a CCL semi-final pretty much says it all.

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Even with an expected tie and going into extra periods, you can't seriously think Chopo Mouting is your man. They took off all their scoring threats. 

Then you have Vini creating havoc and they don't even double team him, when it's the one obvious threat you have to control. On the last goal Madrid had two guys out there on the left and one lame defender. 

Tuchel is a very confused manager. Ancelotti in comparison, you can have guys with poor games, but everyone is impeccably in the right place 95% of the time.

Tuchel completely disregarded Madrid’s obvious aura in this competition. Very Very Naive!!!!

24 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Tuchel completely disregarded Madrid’s obvious aura in this competition. Very Very Naive!!!!

A couple years ago, Chelsea did too, then Manchester City. 

Madrid can beat rivals even playing worse, or having a bad season in other competitions, but this year is not one of those. They are playing very well, they have a very balanced squad, and have solved injury problems extremely well, such as having Lunin, an unknown keeper, cover for Courtois and push Kepa out of the starting spot. Militao injured, and Nacho plays over his head.

Related to Davies: they wanted to sign him to replace Mendy, and even Mendy has stepped up and is playing well.

Look I think Davies can still become a really good player but I think Bayern has destroyed this kids potential as one of the best players in the world, like a guy who will be remembered maybe even a Ballon d’or guy. First it came with him being forced into full back but at least he was progressing and looked like one of the best in the world at his position, then came Tuchel, fuck that guy.

Fuck I feel bad for Kane, that man deserves a trophy. I’m considering cheering for England in the Euros just because of him. On another note I hate that I’m gonna have to start cheering for Madrid when phonzie gets there, they just seem to scrape away every year and they robbed us of a Dortmund-Bayern CL final.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

So Davies proves his critics at Bayern wrong with a worldie, and Tuchel proves his critics right that he's a moron. 

Would have loved for Davies to play in another final, but considering the above I still feel pretty damn good. 

To be fair, I don’t think tuchel’s mistake- taking off Kane and Sane- actually affected the result much. After the first Madrid goal, Bayern were completely defeated, they didn’t even have a chance for someone like Kane to come on and try and make magic happened.

Best Davies game I’ve seen from him in quite possibly years. He’s been sans swagger for the last long while, and today, he looked dominant. Best Bayern player by far, and if not for Joselu’s brace, he’s the MOTM. If Madrid really has decided to spend elsewhere, there are going to be a lot of opportunities for him elsewhere. Incredible that he basically played a full champions league semi final as a winger, a player who “isn’t a world class winger”, but came about 10 minutes away from lifting his team to the finals against the beat team in the world as a winger. We forget how great this guy is.

Davies becomes the 2nd Canadian player to score vs RM? I believe JDG was the first. It's unfortunate that his goal wasn't the winner, but it was still an incredible strike for a player that hasn't had much time playing forward. His pace was on full display and should have received the ball more often as he was moving very well into open spaces.  Btw that is the 2nd golazo he has scored with his right. The other was vs Spurs. Sad for Phonzie, but RM over 90+ mins were the better team and they were incredible in the 2 games vs City who will most likely win the EPL title.

My gawd, what did I miss!  Soo many questions!  Gonna have to watch this.

So basically, Davies had two options.  1- Walk into Tuchel's office and tell him to f@#$ himself.  2- Do this in a CL semi-final match that he started on the bench.  So proud of our boy.

I'll totally eat my words about LB > LW > LWB for Canada if he keeps this up.  Still prefer not to see him at LWB though.

Does RM still buy him as a LB?  Does BM keep playing him at wing for the next couple of games?  Does BM upper management decide to try to hold on to him for the next coach?  I'm questioning a lot now.