The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

44 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

God he's a level above those guys. I mean it makes sense but seems clearer on the small pitch.

It's amazing to see though, isn't it?  I mean it's everything - his quickness, his vision, his passing, his shot placement - and he's not even breaking a sweat.  And this is against pros too (albeit a couple levels down).  Gives a new appreciation also for the top teams in world - we watch Davies on Bayern and think "Oh, poor pass" or "Bad touch" or "Pick up your head, that guy's open!".  Watch him here and you realize what you thought he was poor at, he's actually really really good at.

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He played in a winter break friendly vs. Basel today, 1-1. Was subbed out later in the 2nd half. 

I watched the highlights of that friendly. Davies was in part responsible for the goal conceded, a bit lazy coming back so the forward was free to turn in the cross. Did not see much else from him, good or bad. 

News in Spain the last couple of weeks, and days, says his signing for Real Madrid is almost a done deal. For next summer. I suppose that means Bayern accepts a transfer fee. 

They only question is that BM really hate losing a player to RM, seem to have raised their salary offer a bit, which may make the decision to move a bit harder for Davies. It will depend a lot on the kind of year both teams have.

But Madrid have money. They can't get Mbappe, won't get Haaland for now, they have to put off their search for more strike power.

Then this year they are scoring better than last, after losing Benzema, they are compensating with Bellingham, who is producing more than expected (he's on track to score over 25 league goals, if it weren't for the rising stars at Girona he's be player of the season). This means they can turn their interest to other areas where they are lacking. 

So they have money to spend and don't need to save anything for something even major. Then, as the BBC article rightly says, Ancelloti has re-signed.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

News in Spain the last couple of weeks, and days, says his signing for Real Madrid is almost a done deal. For next summer. I suppose that means Bayern accepts a transfer fee. 

They only question is that BM really hate losing a player to RM, seem to have raised their salary offer a bit, which may make the decision to move a bit harder for Davies. It will depend a lot on the kind of year both teams have.

But Madrid have money. They can't get Mbappe, won't get Haaland for now, they have to put off their search for more strike power.

Then this year they are scoring better than last, after losing Benzema, they are compensating with Bellingham, who is producing more than expected (he's on track to score over 25 league goals, if it weren't for the rising stars at Girona he's be player of the season). This means they can turn their interest to other areas where they are lacking. 

So they have money to spend and don't need to save anything for something even major. Then, as the BBC article rightly says, Ancelloti has re-signed.

I get the feeling Davies wants the move to RM and the salary issue is just PR.

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I get the feeling Davies wants the move to RM and the salary issue is just PR.

It could be just a formality, you ask for a lot, knowing they are unlikely to give it to you. And knowing you are probably not going to get that much from Real Madrid either. 

A change would be good for him, for his career. I am not saying he'd win more, but it'd be a great career shift.

On 1/6/2024 at 10:03 AM, jdheid said:

Fun video of Davies and some other Alberta pros / former pros in a fundraiser match. Too bad none of Edmonton's indoor soccer fields have much in the way of seating capacity.

https://youtu.be/LWtuI5agFfo?si=OOGe_HuX3Futh9Ew

Surreal seeing a typical bubble turf that we've all played in but it's guys trying to get a foot in against one of the best players in the world running at them

Edited by themodelcitizen

Sport, the Barcelona sports daily, is reporting Bayern would accept a low offer from Madrid for Davies next summer. Citing 30 million euros, which seems low. Says BM are tired of the salary requests to double it to 14 million, feel his year isn't great, and see he's out of contract in 2025. While el Real would sell Mendy, and have Alphonso play LB.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sport, the Barcelona sports daily, is reporting Bayern would accept a low offer from Madrid for Davies next summer. Citing 30 million euros, which seems low. Says BM are tired of the salary requests to double it to 14 million, feel his year isn't great, and see he's out of contract in 2025. While el Real would sell Mendy, and have Alphonso play LB.

The salary ploy is working 😁

36 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The salary ploy is working 😁

But really it does make sense. Real Madrid is going to get Modric and Kroos off their salaries soon, sell Mendy, and not spend on Mbappe. 

They could care less about their academy but can buy young hot players and remake the team. No other team has shorter lulls in overall play.

50 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

"Football launders venture capital"

You see great banners in German stadiums, not sure if those are the visiting supporters, behind the goal.

Venture capital? That's not a bad thing is it? But they must be referring to something else. Any specific allegations out there?

5 minutes ago, clamlinguine said:

Venture capital? That's not a bad thing is it? But they must be referring to something else. Any specific allegations out there?

Risk capital, venture capital. 

I am not going to get into what general knowledge about finances should or should not be.

I just assume they refer to investment or risk funds buying teams, with no interest in the team, the fans, the sport. Neither Bayern Munich nor Werder Bremen are in that situation though, I think both are locally owned and run, but of course many teams in world football face such juggernauts.

Just a comment, to @narduch and others, the teams pushing for the Super League like Barça and Madrid are both fan-owned. I am a club member, and vote as such, and have a say, in all decisions. That said, I am against the Super League and think it is completely misgiven.

They lost 0-1 to Werder Bremen. I missed their goal and when Davies was subbed out, was he involved?

Anyways, to the important stuff. That odd banner was held up by Bayern fans, the Werder fans were in an upper tier in green, as expected. It is odd to be mixing messages when they still have Beckenbauer's death fresh, maybe it was something the Kaiser himself said at some point?

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They lost 0-1 to Werder Bremen. I missed their goal and when Davies was subbed out, was he involved?

Anyways, to the important stuff. That odd banner was held up by Bayern fans, the Werder fans were in an upper tier in green, as expected. It is odd to be mixing messages when they still have Beckenbauer's death fresh, maybe it was something the Kaiser himself said at some point?

Yes, he was beaten one on one for the goal and subbed out a few minutes later along with Kimmich and Guerrero