The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

2 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I'm not sure where people are seeing that Bayern fans are done with him. Went through his last couple Instagram posts and it is a lot of Real fans saying to come to Madrid, mixed in with Bayern fans saying to stay in Munich.

4 hours ago, Bigandy said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39100071/transfer-talk-real-madrid-man-city-keeping-eye-alphonso-davies

Will be wild to see davies and buchanan starting the champs league final for city at fullback. Get David and staq to replace haaland and rodri and city may end up winning the whole thing again.... 

CANchester City will be spoken of for 100 years…

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Davies was wide open on a counter but Sane elected to strike at goal instead with the keeper making the save

That is par for the course for Sane.  I don’t know if it is personal or just an overwhelming sense of self-belief (maybe a combo?) but I have noted many times during Phonzie’s time at Bayern that Sane seems singularly intent on finding options other than passing to him.  I have even wondered if it is about self preservation, with Sane unwilling to let Davies show his ability in attacking positions.   As a result, the success Davies has had in attack often comes despite Sane, rather than enabled by him.  

18 hours ago, frmr said:

Sane seems like a prick. Never smiles, selfish.

Or maybe he's locked in, focused, or just an extreme introvert?

We've all heard about "judging a book by its cover" and I know you said "seems like" but I find it weird how people can pick emotions and decide a personality of someone they have no clue or information about. 

34 minutes ago, Shway said:

We've all heard about "judging a book by its cover" and I know you said "seems like" but I find it weird how people can pick emotions and decide a personality of someone they have no clue or information about. 

For me it isn’t about his facial expressions.  It is about the fact that he seems intent on avoiding any sort of play with Davies.  And that isn’t a snap judgement - it has been consistent for a few years now.  

40 minutes ago, Shway said:

I haven't decided anything, that's just how he comes across. Maybe he's the nicest guy in the world and just struggles with decision making on attacks. Doesn't change the fact that he seems like kind of a prick from an outside perspective.

I’ve heard similar comments about sané- maybe even in here, about how he dislikes Davies or at least doesn’t like getting him involved in the game. I can’t really see a player at this level sabotaging his team to the extent where he’s giving up potential goals because he’s afraid the other guy is better or that he might lose his spot or whatever. It’s not like basketball where you typically have a few open options and if you make the bad read, you’ll be back on offense 30 seconds later. If Davies is open and Sané takes a bad shot and Bayern drops points because of it, they risk losing the league, that risks their board overhauling the team, etc. You can’t just do that, and you couldn’t ignore an entire player for this long while still maintaining your starting spot, I think. 

23 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I’ve heard similar comments about sané- maybe even in here, about how he dislikes Davies or at least doesn’t like getting him involved in the game. I can’t really see a player at this level sabotaging his team to the extent where he’s giving up potential goals because he’s afraid the other guy is better or that he might lose his spot or whatever. It’s not like basketball where you typically have a few open options and if you make the bad read, you’ll be back on offense 30 seconds later. If Davies is open and Sané takes a bad shot and Bayern drops points because of it, they risk losing the league, that risks their board overhauling the team, etc. You can’t just do that, and you couldn’t ignore an entire player for this long while still maintaining your starting spot, I think. 

I guess that doesn’t jive with what I have seen, which is Sane not passing to Davies on many, many occasions despite him being in an excellent attacking position.  Not going to belabour it because it isn’t that important but it has been noted on that thread many times by people (admittedly often me) watching Bayern games.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I guess that doesn’t jive with what I have seen, which is Sane not passing to Davies on many, many occasions despite him being in an excellent attacking position.  Not going to belabour it because it isn’t that important but it has been noted on that thread many times by people (admittedly often me) watching Bayern games.  

On the other hand, stars have egos, and maybe there’s something there. Sané is a club vet, one of their better players, maybe the coach is willing to turn a blind eye to it because he’s producing (and Davies isn’t). Whenever I think of this stuff, I just think how man, if you get paid millions of euros to play a game for a living, you can’t just play nice with your teammates if it’s going to help you win? 

The passage of play yesterday where Davies was wide open on the left and Sane decided to take the shot instead was objectively selfish. There's not a player in the world who doesn't see Davies all alone on the left as the better option, unless there's other circumstances at play (doesn't trust Davies, wanted the glory for himself, whatever). I refuse to believe Sane's decision making is actually that poor. You have to just assume that he's a selfish player. It is what it is; sometimes that's a good thing, often it's not.

Sane is one of the most skilled players in the game. What he can do with the ball and his explosive speed is incredible but he can  be wasteful with his chances. This season he has been sizzling hot. I have seen what @dyslexic namhas observed. I think part of it is  he doesn’t have confidence in Phonzie to finish and Davies hasn't  helped himself because for an attacking fullback he really should be scoring the odd goal even with Sane not setting him up.

I'm joining the small but growing list who think that Davies should play on the right vs left for Canada especially if he plays winger. He appears uncomfortable on his right foot and unsure what to do even when he cuts in to his right in his own half. It happens more for Canada but also at Bayern. For club, him blazing down the left and then crossing into the box is all he needs to do because of their talented forwards. There's plenty of finishers. Not so much for Canada.

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

I'm joining the small but growing list who think that Davies should play on the right vs left for Canada especially if he plays winger. He appears uncomfortable on his right foot and unsure what to do even when he cuts in to his right in his own half. It happens more for Canada but also at Bayern. For club, him blazing down the left and then crossing into the box is all he needs to do because of their talented forwards. There's plenty of finishers. Not so much for Canada.

Well said - and welcome on board :D

I think Davies is more goal dangerous on the right. He cuts inside and has the whole goal to shoot at, versus on the left where he has a tight angle at best. The same goes for Buchanan on the left, or Millar. I find the times he's been on the right he's cut inside and dragged multiple players with him. Thinking of the Panama match in WCQ specifically. 

Against UTD, davies won the ball and played sane for a dangerous counter.... they werent on the same page as sane thought davies would dribble and UTD got the ball back. Both Sane and Davies kind of threw up their arms pissed at each other.  It certainly doesnt feel like they have a telepathic link like some FB and Wingers. 

On 12/17/2023 at 12:00 PM, Kadenge said:

Davies was wide open on a counter but Sane elected to strike at goal instead with the keeper making the save

Always this way. His teammates refuse to take advantage of the advantages he brings. They will look for him when the shit hits the fan, then wonder why things don't click immediately.

15 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

For me it isn’t about his facial expressions.  It is about the fact that he seems intent on avoiding any sort of play with Davies.  And that isn’t a snap judgement - it has been consistent for a few years now.  

No, it's not true and it's not personal - he's actually good friends with both Davies and Musiala despite how it appears (I think they game together).

What he is though is both blind to anything that happens to the left of him, and incapable of making a play with his right foot.  That means he never plays to the overlapping LB.  Never.

https://x.com/iMiaSanMia/status/1734621407957438567?s=20