The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Not watching but the match thread for the game on r/soccer is a bit worrying the reviews for Davies and Cancelo couldn't be more different. Bayern fans are saying that Davies (and Sane) are the worst players and Davies is even playing for Wolfsburg, while Cancelo seems to be their most important player and they want to buy him ASAP. Only 2 games in but seems like Davies might be in danger of losing his spot to Mazraoui when he comes back.

4 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Not watching but the match thread for the game on r/soccer is a bit worrying the reviews for Davies and Cancelo couldn't be more different. Bayern fans are saying that Davies (and Sane) are the worst players and Davies is even playing for Wolfsburg, while Cancelo seems to be their most important player and they want to buy him ASAP. Only 2 games in but seems like Davies might be in danger of losing his spot to Mazraoui when he comes back.

Maybe Davies will finally go somewhere where he can be a winger.

40 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

In danger based on fan hot takes?

47 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Cancelo is a premier league guy, Davies is a Bundesliga guy, and also a canadian which means both are going to be targets for the most fuego takes possible.

also, Davies is still the best left back in the world. He isn’t going to lose his spot because he’s only playing like 85% of the best LB in the world. 

Not to mention, Kimmich was sent off with a red, he’s been worse than any of those other guys for sure.

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Cancelo is a premier league guy, Davies is a Bundesliga guy, and also a canadian which means both are going to be targets for the most fuego takes possible.

also, Davies is still the best left back in the world. He isn’t going to lose his spot because he’s only playing like 85% of the best LB in the world. 

Not to mention, Kimmich was sent off with a red, he’s been worse than any of those other guys for sure.

He just seems like he's been in a slump since the World Cup and he's just generally been less effective going forward this season. Hopefully he figures it out before the PSG game. 

8 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

He just seems like he's been in a slump since the World Cup and he's just generally been less effective going forward this season. Hopefully he figures it out before the PSG game. 

Yeah, I mean he’s not at his top form right now, he did play injured for a while as well- I just think the bar for a player like Davies as far as “we need to be concerned about him” is a lot higher than what we’re seeing now. Players of Davies’ calibre are given entire seasons before corrective measures are taken by the club. I do hope he starts trending upwards now though, we are getting into February.

Feels like he just misses out this year. With the success Morocco and Coatia had at the World Cup, I can see Hakimi and Gvardiol getting a nod. Then, there are just two spots for everyone else on the backline. Could be Davies, but I am not as confident as years' past. 

Hopefully he gets picked yet again, but if not just being in this conversation continues to be epic. Clearly he is the premier player from Concacaf at this point. There are no Asian or African players (aside Hakimi) nominated either. In other words, Davies is argiably the best player on the planet outside of UEFA and CONMEBOL. Sometime I have to pinch myself when it comes to Davies.  

4 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

In Paris this evening to watch PSG and Bayern! Won’t be wearing my Davies jersey as it mentioned on the ticket not to wear away colours 😁 but I’ll silently be cheering him on. 

Hope you get to see Davies. The word on the streets is he will be starting from the bench.

Just now, Aird25 said:

Is he distracted by the CMNT issues? I don't remember another time with Bayern that he wasn't first choice

At least Mueller and Gnabry are starting from the bench as well. Maybe it's just tactical and not a sign he's lost his starting spot, but it has been multiple games now, so it's a little bit worrying.