The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

When KJ alluded to Davies missing the international presser after the Croatia loss, THAT didn't sit well with me.  If you are high profile in the good times, you need to  be so in the adverse ones, and take a mea culpa even if you don't think you deserve it.  Face the music, say you will do better, repeat vague, genersl answers, kill the clock and head off.  Ditto for David when I found out he skipped the presser, as well.

The Eye Test author's comment about the ear bling costing as much as the fourth string keeper's salary?  I thought that was a needless shot.  Just focus on his high profile and the responsibilities that go with it.

39 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think a concern as soccer grows is that the institutional journalists still keep getting gigs over the reporters who know the sport better. I hope that the ones podcasting in 2022 are on TV for 2026. 

A few are good but a few more are simply pom pom wavers with (spoiler alert!) their own agenda to push.

Edited by BearcatSA

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

The Eye Test author's comment about the ear bling costing as much as the fourth string keeper's salary?  I thought that was a needless shot.  Just focus on his high profile and the responsibilities that go with it.

This exactly. 

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I haven’t really noticed that myself , but I mean, our press even knowing who a player like Theo Bair is is a good thing 

When he covered the Caps, he kept implying that Jon Erice was some kind of a special talent and would double down on his assessment of him when challenged.

Edited by BearcatSA

6 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

He's from Vancouver tbf and everyone has their biases.

But isn't that the point?  All of these people covering it come with their biases, agendas, narratives, and preconceived notions?  It is there to see just as much as when you read Cathal Kelly, Arthur and other "institutional" journalists.  Or Martina Hyde or Barney Ronay from the Guardian.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

When he covered the Caps, he kept implying that Jon Erice was some kind of a special talent and would double down on his assessment of him when challenged.

I don’t think everyone is going to get every take correct, but I’d also rather hear someone overhype some player than concoct some off the pitch story about Davies earrings or potential character flaws. Would rather tune to TSN talking about how Richie Ennin is the next great Canadian phenom than whether or not Alphonso Davies should get humbled for the sake of our team. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don’t think everyone is going to get every take correct, but I’d also rather hear someone overhype some player than concoct some off the pitch story about Davies earrings or potential character flaws. Would rather tune to TSN talking about how Richie Ennin is the next great Canadian phenom than whether or not Alphonso Davies should get humbled for the sake of our team. 

I don't agree with the delivery, tone, and timing of the Davies story but also don't like overhyping and excuse making spin, either.  There should be a middle ground here in any coverage of a player.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Seen Kone wearing a pretty big earring and I don't think he makes as much as Pantemis!  Seriously, though the article was harsh. Van Diest wrote a similar story in Sun Media, then pulled back the next day,

This has everything to do with Phonzie not playing the media's stupid games when it comes to this topic or that topic. He never got involved with the pay nonsense, they want to ask him about all these stupid political issues and use him to push their agenda but he clearly doesn't want to get involved. I got so much respect for Tyler Adams because if I sat up their to talk about soccer and one of these goofy journalists tried to use me for a sound bite I'd rip them a new one and probably lose every possible sponsor in the process. Phonzie rocks and has an amazingly positive energy in such a negative world. 

19 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

i love the WC and hate the WC at the same time.i love the fact that we made to Qatar,but i hate that the non futbol canadian media wake up and talk shit about stuff they have no clue about,jus stick to hockey old white dinosaurs

You can make your point without being racist